PDA

View Full Version : Is live football really live?

robs_claret
15-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Just an observation from my seat in the JH stand yesterday. From our location a clear view could be seen of live Sky footage on a screen in the foundation bar in the JM stand. The footage was running approx 15 / 30 seconds behind real time. Anyone know why the broadcaster build in this slight delay?

SNB
15-03-2015, 08:40 AM
I'd suggest it's to allow bookies to react before the bet in play punter can although I'm sure someone will correct me if it's down to uplink speeds or something.

robs_claret
15-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Bit of a sinister view SNB but could explain why the bookies hold the upper hand :?:-?

claretspice
15-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Combination of factors.

Firstly its actually impossible technically for the transmission to be in absolute real time - its got to go through a process to be cut, synched and broadcast which takes a few split seconds.

And in any event, its to ensure that they have time to react to any unsavoury incidents that they wouldn't want their viewers to see.

Its always been the way, and with pretty much any live event, not just football - try listening to a radio and a TV commentary simultaneously and the radio will always be ahead. And an analogue radio will be ahead of a digital radio as well I think for similar technical reasons.

durhamclaret
15-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Its simples, it takes about 30 secs for the signal to get to Mars and back, which we all know is where Sky tv comes from! ;D

gawthorpeview
15-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Watching a live game via Sky Go on an android device can be as much as 90 seconds behind the TV coverage.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
15-03-2015, 11:06 AM
I was very close to a TV set at the ground last night. The delay was 9 seconds but that was done by my Accurist methodology... Heaton kicks... One potato, Two potato, Three potato... Nine potato... Heaton kicks on TV.

The delay may have something to do with on line betting sites too.

AuntSally
15-03-2015, 11:32 AM
I thought betting sites just use their own delay before a bet can be placed during a game? And it's this delay that allows them to make any changes, not any delay in broadcasting?

IanMcL
15-03-2015, 05:38 PM
It's a long way to a satellite and back, even if the transmitter is in the car park!

I remember being in a pub and a football match was on the telly. In one bar they had an old TV and I was watching with others on a new one. The cheers went up in the other bar significantly in advance of the bar I was in!

Very odd feeling to know you are going to cheer in a minute!

pstotto
15-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Durham claret, Sky comes from Aero.

Corky
15-03-2015, 06:23 PM
SNB makes an interesting point. This is a bit convoluted but my wifes best friends son used to travel around the world betting on tennis matches. He used to actually go to the games and somehow electronically record the scores as the game progressed. What they did then I am not clear on but betting took place on what information they sent to third parties. It was all meant to be perfectly legal (his Mother said) until about a year or so ago when him and his mates got arrested.

Imploding Turtle
15-03-2015, 06:29 PM
As has been said, the delay is to help ensure unsavoury incidents aren't broadcast. Sometimes even a delay fails though because producers are stupid, like then a guy killed himself, which was broadcast live on Fox News the other year.

DolceBFC
15-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Corky "SNB makes an interesting point. This is a bit convoluted but my wifes best friends son used to travel around the world betting on tennis matches. He used to actually go to the games and somehow electronically record the scores as the game progressed. What they did then I am not clear on but betting took place on what information they sent to third parties. It was all meant to be perfectly legal (his Mother said) until about a year or so ago when him and his mates got arrested."

Was it this by any chance?! - view external link (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/arrest-as-open-hit-by-bet-scandal/story-e6frg6nf-1226802743522)

IanMcL
15-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Sounds like an episode from Hustle!

Imploding Turtle
15-03-2015, 10:24 PM
For additional mind-****ery spend some time thinking about how nothing is ever perceived, by anyone, as it happens.

yorksclaret
15-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Struggling to see how relaying things that have already happened to a third party could be considered an offence. Anyway, far be it from me to say the Aussies are stupid.

In-play betting is subject to an 8 second delay and betting suspension any time someone crosses the halfway line so I'm sure that's not the reason.

claretant123
16-03-2015, 12:46 PM
We are posh and have a telly in the dining room and a telly in the living room.

On such occasions that we have money to burn, we have both tellys on at the same time on the same channel.

I can be sat watching the telly in the living room which is powered by my very posh Sky+ box and can hear the telly in the dining room (above the clatter of the butler clearing the table) which is powered by a digital box.

The living room telly is 2 seconds behind the dining room telly.

Just an observation.

IanMcL
16-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Perhaps your whole house is so large Claretrant that the time zone change is the equivalent of 2 seconds!

We'll all on our way to take the bedrooms!

clareteria
16-03-2015, 09:33 PM
C123 if one of your tv's is broadcasting an HD signal it will be about 2 Seconds behind, as that is the delay it takes to change the original picture to HD. Not just on a sports broadcast, it's the same with anything shown in HD.

gogogadgetlegs
16-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Its guaranteed if you go to the loo or to get a hot dog from your kitchen something will happen.

How 'live' do you want it (not the hot dog)?

gazsus
17-03-2015, 08:30 AM
I was on the phone with my dad on Saturday, just as George scored. My dad was watching the match on TV (Virgin) while I was watching a low quality stream. I saw the goal a full 5 seconds before he did. :O
This was a first, I'm usually 20-30 seconds behind his TV.

Corky
17-03-2015, 04:02 PM
DolceBFC sorry just seen your question.

Yes it was the Australian. A bunch of mates from Worcester Park in Surrey got arrested.