PDA

View Full Version : Biased penalty view

moltisanti
15-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Is it only me who thinks it wasn't a penalty, if you watch Zabaleta's right foot he straightens it just before the challenge from Ben goes in , a dive !

mgill87
15-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Initially (as I posted on another thread) I felt it wasn't a stonewall penalty.

I've watched it again since and it probably was a penalty - Mee was nowhere near the ball. However, Zabaleta was looking for the pen which just shows how desperate City were.

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 09:17 AM
It was a penalty but, yes, the bloke did go down too easily and too obviously.
I noticed from one angle it did seem that Mee's toe did touch the ball - I guess that's the view the ref had.
Anyway, who cares, Marriner was so inept in his decision-making at times, I assumed he'd been leant on by the FA to give City every chance so we desreved a break.
Luckily, they are over-rated and very expensive bobbins and could not take advatage.

Ashingtonclaret46
15-03-2015, 09:28 AM
From the ref's position and in real time the ball went sideways away from Zaboleta, therefore, from the angle that Mee made the challenge he could not be 100% certain whether it was a pen or not. That being the case, they should not be given.

Mind you I do love to see grown men on their hands and knees pounding the ground when things don't go their way. Bloody grow up.

claretspice
15-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Its a very clumsy challenge.

I thought live that Mee had got a toe on the ball.

Having seen the replays, the ball without question moves away from Zabaletta's control, and out of the line he would want the ball to move in. So either Mee got a toe on the ball (I think he did) or Zabaletta had miscontrolled it and probably wasn't getting to the ball anyway.

Seen em given, that's for certain, but there again Di Michaelis was a tad lucky to still be on the pitch by that point.

gabriel10
15-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Saw the game on telly in Norway and in the studio were Erik Thorstvet,Trevor Morley,Peter Beagrie and the TV presenter . They all agreed that it was a penalty. I agree with moltisanti. Look at Zabaletas right leg before there are any contact with Mee. He dives, no penalty, end of storey.

HoveEdgeWardrobe
15-03-2015, 10:25 AM
It's a dive. A clever dive but a dive.
They should have been down to ten men and we should have had at least one pen.
Analysts again don't focus on controversy when it goes against us but only when it goes for us.

claretblue
15-03-2015, 10:25 AM
'...Mind you I do love to see grown men on their hands and knees pounding the ground when things don't go their way...'

you mean like this ashington? :D

http://i59.tinypic.com/2yorb41.jpg

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 10:36 AM
If we do survive, I'd like to see this pic reproduced as a poster, it sums up everything about us and the Prem.
You can just imagine Mee muttering "Dickhead !" as he strides away.

Colburn_Claret
15-03-2015, 10:44 AM
He went down easy to exagerate it, but it was definitely a penalty. When you go in for a challenge and make no contact with the ball it's a no brainer.
Zaballetta probably did us a favour by exagerating it, because that is probably why it was turned down.

Cheers Zab.

AuntSally
15-03-2015, 10:47 AM
When I first saw it I thought it was a penalty as Mee doesn't touch the ball. But I think Zabaleta does go down too easily and perhaps it was this that swayed the referee against giving it.

3putt
15-03-2015, 10:48 AM
"Mind you I do love to see grown men on their hands and knees pounding the ground when things don't go their way. Bloody grow up."

In the same mold as the players who let out a high pitched scream as they get tackled :-(

Should be allowed to play with their dummies in.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
15-03-2015, 10:48 AM
"Is it only me who thinks it wasn't a penalty"

No !

The ref thought the same.

What these "Super-Heroes" (Anyone who makes a habit of cheating by diving) have done is create an expectation within Referees that demands more than just a falling over. The ref is expecting a dive and has been told to stamp out diving. Hopefully, we will see less and less penalties given where the hard-arsed over-paid Super Heroes fall over for fun in the box.

BriscoCountyJr
15-03-2015, 11:38 AM
I thought it was a penalty in real time and the replays confirmed it. As pointed out, it looks from the refs position that Mee touched the ball, but he didn't.

We got away with one, but I'm not complaining given we've had a few missed this season.

AuntSally
15-03-2015, 12:00 PM
The replays also confirmed that Zabaleta made a meal of it.

Decades
15-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Zabaleta saw the opportunity to fall over and took it, and dived. Having said that it was a penalty but from the refs point of view it did look like a dive.

Notrigsbyscat
15-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Assuming the referee saw every aspect at that the sequence was that zabaleta dragged his right foot to simulate, and then Meek fouled him, but there's a split second between the two instances, and the ref has made a stunningly accurate decision in that the 1st offense was simulation.

But 99 times out of a hundred it's a penalty as most would not have registered the initial simulation, and given a stonewall penalty

The Bedlington Terrier
15-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Swings and roundabouts. It was a penalty but we should have had a dozen or more this season. We deserved to win and the referee had to even things up because he gave Citeh almost everything else!

MrTstoke
15-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Watch the replay everybody. Zab extends and drags his foot along the floor BEFORE any contact. 100% simulation, silly as he may have gone on to score if he had not given up.

thedonz
15-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Seems a lot of posters think Zabaletta simulated in some way so not going to argue.
My only point is that Mee slid in on the floor and did not touch the ball but made contact with a player who was moving forward with pace and momentum.
Surely the laws of physics say this will result in the player going to ground. And in this case with such force that he knocked another defender over.

Rileybobs
15-03-2015, 04:27 PM
If you've ever played football you'll know that it takes more than a little tap on the ankle to make you go to ground. It is now the common thing for a player to take a tumble in the box as soon as he feels a touch. These are the FIFA rules;

'A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips or attempts to trip an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent'

You could certainly make a case that Mee carelessly trips Zabaletta, but for the fact that Mee's contact didn't actually cause Zabaletta to trip...he decided to take a tumble.

We can consider ourselves very fortunate as Mee was naive to go to ground and give the referee a reason to point to the spot. Personally though,I'm sick of players taking tum

I_Wood_Lovett
15-03-2015, 05:31 PM
No pen - look in the papers.;D