PDA

View Full Version : Clarets bow out in Europe

ClaretTony2014
15-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Burnley's first ever adventure into Europe came to an end on this day in March 1961 when, despite having a two goal advantage from the first leg, we went out on a 5-4 aggregate.

We were just the third English team ever to play in the European Cup, following on from Manchester United and Wolves, and that's something young football supporters today might find difficult to grasp.

Brian Pilkington had scored two of the three goals in the 3-1 first leg victory which, incredibly, had been played eight weeks earlier at Turf Moor. But Pilky had now been sold with Gordon Harris in the team and he scored our goal as we went down to a 4-1 defeat.

The game was played in the afternoon with no floodlights at the West German ground, and the BBC covered the second half live. Well done to Todmorden Road Junior School who let us go home early that day to watch it.

We were 2-0 down by the time the broadcast started but there was real hope when Harris scored to put is back in front on aggregate. You c

claretblue
15-03-2015, 12:23 PM
'...Burnley director calling them a bunch of teddy boys...'

wasn't that the Local Butcher CT? :D

ClaretTony2014
15-03-2015, 12:25 PM
No it wasn't. When accused of it, Lord said: "It was another Burnley director, and I have his permission to say so."

claretblue
15-03-2015, 12:28 PM
didn't know Lord Burnley ever needed anyones permission to say 'owt!

:D

GordonvaleClaret
15-03-2015, 12:41 PM
That United game was my first first team game. The "fight" happened right in front of me. Have a read of this. - view external link (joinmust.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77125)

silkyskills1
15-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Always thought it was Pearson he referred to as being a 'teddy boy' but as you suggest no love lost between both clubs around that time.

As for the Hamburg game Jimmy Mc hit the post in the closing stages and much reference was made to the 'squareness' of the posts being the reason for the miss. Were we clutching at straws ? Probably but little consolation at the time for a boy just short of 9 years old.

ClaretTony2014
15-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I thought it was Pearson but couldn't be certain. Nicknamed Pancho, he was one of the players to come into the team after Munich.

The posts were square in Hamburg as can be seen on this picture of Bomber's goal.

http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/104/657852-4.jpg

jdrobbo
15-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Bloody hell...I had hair then too :o

ClaretTony2014
15-03-2015, 02:29 PM
"Bloody hell...I had hair then too"

Not much :D