PDA

View Full Version : 37 points, my ar$e

goddy2shoes
15-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Have heard a few times (e.g. Jonathan Pearce commentary on MOTD) that people (so-called pundits) reckon 37 points needed for survival.

The more this season goes on the more convinced I am that 35 points will be enough and it might be as low as 33 or, dare I say it, 32 points.

Leicester play OK but can't win; QPR might win 2 more but no more; Sunderland in freefall will be lucky to win 2 more; Hull horrendous fixture list and unlikely to win 2 more (assuming they don't beat us).

If someone said you can have 33 points now (and we don't lose to Leicester and Hull to get 'em) I'd take my chances on that.

Whatever no-one will need a minimum of 37 points to stay up.

thedonz
15-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Please dont get it into your thoughts that we only need 32 points to survive!

Sidney1st
15-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Wba stayed up with 34 points a few years ago.

Claretforever
15-03-2015, 03:46 PM
I've got 35 points in my mind now. 3 wins and a draw from 9. Not getting beaten by Hull or Villa is included in that.

thedonz
15-03-2015, 03:52 PM
It would be great to think we could go into the Villa game unconcerned by the result. However this is Burnley...

goddy2shoes
15-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Think 35 will be enough but, as I say I'd even take my chances on 33.

I'd be surprised if 32 was enough, Donz...but it could happen this season.

10 more points for us will do it. I'll reckon wins against Leicester and Stoke and then draws against Hull, WHU, Spurs, Villa (who will be safe and have nothing to play for by the time we meet them).

ClaretTony2014
15-03-2015, 03:59 PM
I'd be amazed if more than 35 were needed

The Bedlington Terrier
16-03-2015, 06:53 AM
Que Sera Sera.

CaspertheClaret
16-03-2015, 07:17 AM
So if we are say taking 36 as at the top end, I would say that the remaining 9 games offer us our best run of the season where we are likely to amass a decent points haul.

So we need 11pts.

Where are we going to pick them up?

For me.

Southampton v BurnleySat 21 Mar 0pt

Burnley v TottenhamSun 5 Apr 3pts

Burnley v ArsenalSat 11 Apr 0pt

Everton v BurnleySat 18 Apr 1pt

Burnley v LeicesterSat 25 Apr 3pts

West Ham v Burnley Sat 2 May 0pts

Hull v Burnley Sat 9 May 1pt

Burnley v Stoke Sat 16 May 3pts

Aston Villa v BurnleySun 24 May 1pt

S-Q-U-E-E-K-Y!!!!! :O

mgill87
16-03-2015, 07:31 AM
We're certainly still in with a decent shout which is as much as we could have asked for really :)

LincolnClaret
16-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Our next four games could well work in our favour. On paper the so called experts and pundits will have us down for LLLL, so we've no pressure on us. We just need to turn up, as we did on Saturday, and give it a go. If we can maintain the level of performance we saw at the weekend then who knows what could be achieved.

Southampton aren't playing with the same sort of "flow" that they were earlier in the season, in recent years we've tended to do quite well against Spurs at home, if Arsenal squeeze past Monaco they will likely be hitting a big week after they play us (Champions League QF and FA Cup SF) meaning their focus could be elsewhere and Everton will be under huge pressure to pick up points if they're still struggling when we roll into town.

Call me crazy but I can see us DWDW!!

mgill87
16-03-2015, 08:11 AM
"Call me crazy but I can see us DWDW!!"

You're crazy :P

I can't see us getting 8 points from the next 4 games but stranger things have happened I suppose :)

rhinosleeds
16-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I think with West Ham in a rut it could be a good time to play them, a believe a run of consistency is all that is needed, a few draws and a win here and there should keep them up.

The games against Leicester and Hull are crucial in avoiding defeat, but 2 wins there and they should have enough about them to pick up five points elsewhere.

claretant123
16-03-2015, 12:26 PM
For me.

Southampton v Burnley Sat 21 Mar 1pt

Burnley v Tottenham Sun 5 Apr 1pts

Burnley v Arsenal Sat 11 Apr 0pt

Everton v Burnley Sat 18 Apr 0pt

Burnley v Leicester Sat 25 Apr 3pts

West Ham v Burnley Sat 2 May 0pts

Hull v Burnley Sat 9 May 1pt

Burnley v Stoke Sat 16 May 3pts

Aston Villa v Burnley Sun 24 May 1pt

10 points maximum and quite possible as low as 7.

Very squeeky.
I reckon 35 would be enough looking at the teams and their points so far.
The question is whether Burnley are one of those who will get enough points in the 9 games.

Knowing Burnley, having beaten Man City I could see us beating Arsenal but then losing to Hull, Leicester and Stoke no problem :(

Jamb0MackemClaret
16-03-2015, 12:34 PM
37 is a good target as it almost guarantees survival. The chances are we won't need many this year but it's still a good number to aim for. If we get to 35 we'll probably be fine.

claretspice
16-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm quite sure SD won't be setting any targets, but it seems to me that 35 (10 more points) is as good a number as any for us supporters to keep in mind. I've been saying for months that it seems like the natural point for us to aim at, but now I think its particularly pertinent because it demonstrates that there's no need for doom or gloom if we don't win in a couple of games.

We can get to 35 points with only 1 win and a few draws in the next 8 games. That takes to Villa needing a win to survive which although not ideal is a position most of us would have taken at most points during the season.

notnowbernard
16-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Think I'll stick to the teachings of the great orator, statesman, philosopher, football manager & all round good guy, Lord Sean Dyche... "One game at a time"...not thinking beyond Southampton.

mgill87
16-03-2015, 12:51 PM
"Think I'll stick to the teachings of the great orator, statesman, philosopher, football manager & all round good guy, Lord Sean Dyche... "One game at a time"...not thinking beyond Southampton."

If everyone did that then this messageboard would be incredibly dull. We're fans not professional footballers.

claretspice
16-03-2015, 12:53 PM
"Think I'll stick to the teachings of the great orator, statesman, philosopher, football manager & all round good guy, Lord Sean Dyche... "One game at a time"...not thinking beyond Southampton."

Of course, but I think the point of having a rough target in mind is to make sure that we see the bigger picture, and don't get carried away by the twists and turns on any given match day.

Notrigsbyscat
16-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Personally can't see passed 31 points, and that was before yesterday's win.

That's my head, but my heart is very much on this trip, and for that reason I'm out of trying to predict the needed points, and can see us needing points from Villa - nothing changes

goddy2shoes
22-03-2015, 09:31 AM
After yesterday's games I'm even more convinced that 33 points is going to be enough to stay up and anyone who gets to, say 35 points will pretty much be nailed on for Prem League survival.

I can't see QPR getting much past 31 points (even if they win today); Leics would do well do get 31 points from where they are now; Hull are likely to get to above 32 points only if they beat us; Sunderland may just limp to 33 points.

It does beg the question, though, can we get to 33 points or beyond? 2 wins and 2 draws may just be enough (esp if those wins/draws include our matches against Leics and Hull).

Still believing, big time, we can do it.

ClaretMatt4
22-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Not so wise to put a number on it, but I do think it will be a low year for points required.

We have two home games coming up against good teams, but we can get points from both. Following that we have 6 games we can get points from.

I think the Hull and Leicester games will do a lot to show us where we will end up. I still think we will go into the Villa game with the threat of relegation looming over us - but it is in our own hands and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think we will do it. And pundits writing us off at every turn is only going to benefit the never say die, never give up attitude.

UTC

sheffieldturfite
22-03-2015, 10:02 AM
I am sticking with my pre season prediction of 35 points but any optimism is boosted by the fact that during this incredible run where we play the current top eight in eight successive games, six games into that run we have actually gained ground on most of our rivals, notably apart from Hull who have had as easy a run as we have had a hard one.

goddy2shoes
22-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I had QPR down for a win against Everton today.

I think when Leics play QPR on the last day of the season that match will defo just be about deciding who finishes bottom and who finishes second from bottom.

Am really hoping we might go to Villa with us both just needing a point for safety. It could happen!!

AuntSally
22-03-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm also sticking with my 3 from 4 to go down:

Leicester
QPR
Burnley
Hull

Hull seem to have the hardest remaining fixtures, and I just feel that under new managers Sunderland and Villa will grab enough points.

goddy2shoes
22-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Not sure Advocaat or Sherwood will have that Pulis/Pardew effect. I know Sherwood has won a game but lost 2 with late goals...demoralising for them.

Injury to Bentecke won't help Villa either.

Think they're both right in the mire myself although if Villa get a win then I think they'll be close to being safe.

Quattro
22-03-2015, 07:40 PM
I can genuinely see 32 points being enough, but I can see us getting to 33 points - that's 8 points from the remaining 8 games.

Saying that, we cannot take our foot off the gas - we have grafted for 30 games, so we need to keep that effort, determination and commitment up for another 8 games...8 cup finals which will make or break the season.

Notrigsbyscat
28-04-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm sticking with my original prediction

Patey
29-04-2015, 10:57 AM
There's an important match tonight. Leicester's game in hand has been dismissed as an advantage because it's against Chelsea.

However because of Mourinho's dislike of us and as they are ten points clear at the top with 5 to play, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be happy with being ten points clear with 4 to play.

Rileybobs
29-04-2015, 12:43 PM
'However because of Mourinho's dislike of us and as they are ten points clear at the top with 5 to play, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be happy with being ten points clear with 4 to play.'

Erm, is this a serious post?

aggi
29-04-2015, 02:29 PM
That's taking delusional paranoia to new heights for this board (and it was already pretty high). Good effort.

TheLonePoster
29-04-2015, 06:51 PM
I think the strain of a long, tough season has got to Patey. He has clearly flipped.:s