PDA

View Full Version : Heaton for England?

formerbfcmanager
15-03-2015, 04:30 PM
With Foster coming off injured yesterday, does our Tom stand a good chance of making Thursday's England squad. Assuming Hart and Forster are shoo ins, the 3rd keeper spot seems to be between Green and Heaton and for me Heaton looks the better bet. Or am I just looking through rose tinted glasses.

Part of me would love to see Heaton, Trippier and Ings get recognition by being called up to the England squad, while the other part of me would be petrified they'd get injured

IanMcL
15-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Let's not get carried away!

Commanding his box would greatly assist his chances of that.

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 05:37 PM
And having an England manager not obsessed with Southern clubs might help.
Heaton and Tripps have no chance yet, Ings a slight possibility.

casknotkeg
15-03-2015, 05:42 PM
I thought Tom's performance yesterday was very good indeed. A couple of good stops and he looked assured. Not yet for England, but maybe one for the future.

taio
15-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Ese, an interesting observation given there were only 6 out of a squad of 23 from clubs South of Birmingham that made the World Cup squad.

thelifeofbrian
15-03-2015, 05:56 PM
why not...

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Sorry, mate, I'm talking about now and the future not the dismal past...
You just know that, whatever style of play or tactics Hodgson sees as the way forward, Kane and Austin will take precedence before Ings, guaranteed.

Rileybobs
15-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Do you think that is because they have both scored significantly more goals than Danny Ings or because Roy Hodgson doesn't like 'the north'?

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Of the three, Kane and Ings are the two most likely to succeed against European opposition these days.
Austin is neither quick nor inventive. The six yard box pickings he thrives on would not come at decent international level but, yes, to kind of answer the question the next few days will show us RH can be influenced by the London press.

taio
15-03-2015, 06:08 PM
So it's just a recent obsession then is it? Or more to do with him picking players who are on form? Kane and Austin should be ahead of Ings. By the way of England's last match day squad 9 out of 22 were from southern clubs.

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 07:12 PM
As I explained in the post above, of the three Ings and Kane will be the most effective international players purely because of their all-round attributes.
I'm not sure Austin is in better or worse form than Ings.
Sure, he's been getting goals but if he's not going to get six yard chances, he's not, in my opinion, the best bet.
As I said earlier.

taio
15-03-2015, 07:16 PM
There's a reasonable chance Austin won't get called up when the next squad is announced.

what_no_pies
15-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Saw a photo of Ruddy in today's paper. The only thing that's happened is his team are playing in the Championship and suddenly he's not even in the conversation. That's simply got to be a poor trend for the national side. Many perfectly good players play outside of the Premier League.

Jamb0MackemClaret
16-03-2015, 12:31 PM
There are only five English goalkeepers who are first choice for their clubs, I think. So if Foster is injured (and he's out of form anyway), unless they want to go back to Ruddy, it would be between Heaton and Green for the last spot along with Forster and Hart.

Green has made some fantastic saves this season but he's not played for England for three years and he's 35. It would be a bit pointless to go back to him now. It's an outside shot, but no reason Heaton shouldn't at least be considered with the lack of top flight English goalkeepers around.

BobLordsFridge
16-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Heaton's been a good signing and he's been pretty steady all season, bar the arguable weakness on crosses.

I suspect that he's not done enough to catch the eye of the England set-up though. Again, he's got a consistently steady game, but you wouldn't say he excels at one particularly thing. Green, for example, is a great shot-stopper and his saves are regularly highlighted. Heaton's performances are a bit more understated.

claretspice
16-03-2015, 02:52 PM
"There are only five English goalkeepers who are first choice for their clubs, I think. So if Foster is injured (and he's out of form anyway), unless they want to go back to Ruddy"

Which is exactly what they should do, given he's been a regular in the England squad previously and earned plaudits over a sustained period in the Premier League. The fact that his team were relegated last season doesn't for a second amount to a reason to drop him from the squad in favour of a keeper from a team who are in danger of being relegated this season, and who has no prior track record at this level to rival Ruddy's and who has done well enough this season without being remotely outstanding.

Heaton's a decent keeper but I doubt there'll be too many clubs coming in for him if we go down this season.

Jamb0MackemClaret
16-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Ruddy cost his team a crucial win at the weekend by throwing one into his own net. He's also only played for England once, he's hardly been a regular. And he hasn't been in a squad for a good while.

IanMcL
16-03-2015, 03:26 PM
The England players would take heaton apart if he did not come off his line.

He needs to grow about 9 inches.

formerbfcmanager
22-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Bumped! As predicted 2 months ago ;-)

ChristheViking
22-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Looks like Roy was also looking at it through claret and blue tinted specs.

Well done to Tom Heaton and Big Bollox to those who jumped on even the very idea that he might get called up.

the_quoon
22-05-2015, 12:32 PM
not really, seeing as he didn't get called up to that squad.

he's clearly in the squad now due to the injuries to forster and foster but, as i said yesterday, thats how you get your chance. up to him now to make the best of it.