PDA

View Full Version : One of the best goals I've ever seen

mikeS
16-03-2015, 10:14 AM
For me George Boyd's goal was one of the best ever scored for Burnley I think.
Perfectly struck while still in the air, coming down, hit with power just a few inches off the floor straight into the corner of the net. Joe Hart had no chance.
No deflections, pefect in its execution. A beauty. A gem. An absolute pearler.
Would rival Wade Elliots at Wembley, Robbie Blake's v United and many more.

wherewasi
16-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Apart from the fact he hit it on the half-volley not coming down and it was deflected by DeMichelis...

I haven't seen a better one for us than Joey's against Preston. Phillips' at the weekend for QPR was a wannabe version of it.

CardyTheClaret
16-03-2015, 11:28 AM
A half volley is still in the air, and it wasn't deflected, although from one angle it does look like it is.

distortiondave
16-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Joey's against PNE is pretty much the definition of *****it and hope for the best. That goal was bobbins compared to Blake, Boyd, Barnes, Paterson or Elliot.

McCann away at QPR was a good un too.

claretant123
16-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Can't agree with the Op on this one.

A good goal that was well struck, yes.
But not the best.

Blake's against Man U is an obvious choice of a perfectly hit volley.
Elliot's at Wembley is another good goal.

I also like the goals which come from excellent build up play starting from defence and midfield. We scored quite a few last season with Trippier overlapping on the wing before sending a perfect cross that even me granny could score! The end result doesn't look as good but the passing immediately before ripped teams apart.

ClaretTony2014
16-03-2015, 03:00 PM
"Apart from the fact he hit it on the half-volley not coming down and it was deflected by DeMichelis..."

Definitely no deflection - looks as though there is a possibility from one camera but the one from behind the goal confirms that there was no touch.

jjclaret
16-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Whether you think Boyd's goal was brilliant or merely ok it may well turn out to be a very important one in the context of this season.

IanMcL
16-03-2015, 03:20 PM
It was a nice goal and hugely important but not a wonder goal.

wherewasi
16-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Eyesight must be going. After repeated watching of slowmo/freeze frame from all angles, my eyes are telling me it was deflected - but by consensus, it seems not!

claretspice
16-03-2015, 04:41 PM
What makes a great goal seems to me to be a pretty personal thing.

However, it seems to me that great strikes is a slightly different thing and rules out the team-thing.

As pure, clean as-a-whistle strikes of a ball that I've seen at Burnley, I find it hard to distinguish that strike from Robbie's v Man U. They both have one thing in common: they're pure timing, wonderful technique without any attempt to smash the ball, a bit like watching a Sachin Tendulkar cover drive. The ball absolutely flies despite the absence of discernible effort.

Elliott and Wembley is another lovely strike and then there's Pato's at Wembley. I'd say they'd make my top 5, perhaps along with a strike from Ings at Yeovil last season which was absolutely first class.

It really is a superb hit.

Bin_Ont_Turf
16-03-2015, 05:46 PM
'my eyes are telling me it was deflected'

http://i62.tinypic.com/ve6psw.jpg

wilks_bfc
16-03-2015, 06:06 PM
My seat is behind the goal and bang in line with the strike and it defiantly didn't take a deflection.
As soon as he struck it could tell it was in

hampsteadclaret
16-03-2015, 06:36 PM
post 10..

'and then there's Pato's at Wembley'

Am I missing something here, or getting old or what?

I presume that you mean Pato's at Reading?

That was indeed a belter.

Imploding Turtle
16-03-2015, 06:49 PM
"I haven't seen a better one for us than Joey's against Preston."

With you here. It was made even better by the Preston fans jeering it as soon as it left his boot because it looked to be clearing the Cricket Field Stand (mild hyperbole).

Ted Downing-Street
16-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Robbie's free-kick like an exocet straight into the top corner at home to Preston takes some beating.

cricketfield72
16-03-2015, 09:16 PM
If Boyd's goal had come in the 90th minute at 4-0 down no-one would have really batted an eyelid but it's a different kettle of fish altogether when it's the winner.

As the OP says "Would rival Wade Elliots at Wembley, Robbie Blake's v United and many more."

Hear, hear.