PDA

View Full Version : No call up for Danny

todclaret
19-03-2015, 11:23 AM
thought it was unlikely as Roys his squad - view external link (http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2015/mar/england-squad-named-lithuania-italy)

Iamaclaret
19-03-2015, 11:45 AM
but he felt the need to take 9 defenders!

Bin_Ont_Turf
19-03-2015, 11:47 AM
'but he felt the need to take 9 defenders!'

And not one of them is called Kieran Trippier either.

karatekid
19-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Keeps danny fresh and fit for our run in. Result. :)

royboyclaret
19-03-2015, 12:08 PM
"And not one of them is called Kieran Trippier either."

Or Jason Shackell, our captain fantastic who has been in outstanding form all season and yet Roy stands by certain defenders who are woefully out of form.

No third keeperd either in that Roy prefers Jack Butland, his third keeper, to play in the U21's. Both our Tom and Rob Green might be rightly aggrieved at that.

One reasonable criticism of Hodgson is that he ignores the claims of in-form players whilst standing by the tried and testeds, whether currently in-form or not. Are the likes of Luke Shaw and Phil Jones even playing well at the moment?

todclaret
19-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Danny may be in the U21 squad yet. More than likely I think with Kane picked for the seniors

SethHowarthsHair
19-03-2015, 12:15 PM
"And not one of them is called Kieran Trippier either."

Or Jason Shackell, our captain fantastic who has been in outstanding form all season and yet Roy stands by certain defenders who are woefully out of form.

No third keeperd either in that Roy prefers Jack Butland, his third keeper, to play in the U21's. Both our Tom and Rob Green might be rightly aggrieved at that.

One reasonable criticism of Hodgson is that he ignores the claims of in-form players whilst standing by the tried and testeds, whether currently in-form or not. Are the likes of Luke Shaw and Phil Jones even playing well at the moment?

I sometimes wonder if Burnley fans only ever see things through their claret tinted glasses.
None of Burnley's current squad is good enough to play for England, even if we aren't very good.

Rileybobs
19-03-2015, 12:16 PM
In fairness to Hodgson, it would be utterly pointless to pick 3 or even 4 keepers for 2 friendly games. And despite Smalling's failings, it's bordering on ludicrous to suggest that Shackell is a better defender. Likewise, throwing Trippier's hat into the ring suggests a hint of bias.

Ings had a realistic chance of a call up but unfortunately for him he finds himself competing in an area where England are strongest and Kane has deservedly got his chance in front of him.

I can't really complain to much about the squad to be honest, and that says more about the lack of international-standard English players than anything.

SethHowarthsHair
19-03-2015, 12:18 PM
spot on Rileybobs

BeijingClaret
19-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Really not that surprised Ings hasn't been called up. He's been great for us but has had his off moments as well this season, but most importantly, he's not scored that many goals.

Have to admit I'm glad he hasn't. Keeps him fresh where others have the extra game or two. Also nice to see that England appear to be keeping people in the Under 21's squad to build up international experience. We could learn a thing or two from the Germans on that front.

royboyclaret
19-03-2015, 12:28 PM
" And despite Smalling's failings, it's bordering on ludicrous to suggest that Shackell is a better defender."

I know who'd be in my team and it certainly wouldn't be Smalling.

dallasclaret
19-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Not surprised Danny isn't in either, however I'm gobsmacked he hasn't chosen to take a look at Austin.

But to pick Walker who is garbage, Townsend who gives the ball away with the regularity of a sunday league player and Ross ****ing Barkley who has been a complete waste of space all season is beyond a joke.

So much for picking players on form. Hodgson will learn nothing from these games.

Hodgson out >:( >:( >:( >:(

royboyclaret
19-03-2015, 12:35 PM
"Have to admit I'm glad he hasn't. Keeps him fresh where others have the extra game or two."

Just the opposite. He'll doubtless be playing two full games for the U21's, especially in Kane's absence, whereas he'd be sat on the bench watching the Seniors.

ClaretTony2014
19-03-2015, 12:43 PM
I'd have been very surprised had Danny Ings been called up, certainly given the certainty of Harry Kane getting in. As for Tom Heaton and/or Jason Shackell, can't believe anyone thought they were in with a shout.

Bin_Ont_Turf
19-03-2015, 12:43 PM
'I sometimes wonder if Burnley fans only ever see things through their claret tinted glasses'

When talking about Burnley and Burnley players I only ever see things through Claret tinted glasses, it goes with the territory for me.

'Likewise, throwing Trippier's hat into the ring suggests a hint of bias'

I wouldn't say a 'hint of bias' more a shed load of bias with a cherry on top.

It's a couple of friendly matches, not the World Cup. I'd say that it's a good opportunity to try new players who have been playing 'all' season in the Premier League.

IanMcL
19-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Yes under 21s and playing as key member is the right choice for Danny Ings.

If you were any of the strikersd in the ful squad and found yourself replaced by Danny, I think you would feel aggrieved.

The central defenders could be open to conjecture. They are a mixed bunch, to say the least.

aggi
19-03-2015, 12:48 PM
I was a bit surprised to see that the Guardian made reference to Heaton missing out with regard to the third keeper spot.

Imploding Turtle
19-03-2015, 12:59 PM
And despite Smalling's failings, it's bordering on ludicrous to suggest that Shackell is a better defender. Likewise, throwing Trippier's hat into the ring suggests a hint of bias.

Fan bias on Clarets Mad? Don't be silly.

todclaret
19-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Ings and Keane called up for U21 - view external link (http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/ings-in-england-u21-squad-2345519.aspx)