PDA

View Full Version : A win with promotion stamped all over it

ClaretTony2014
22-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Just one year ago today we moved one step closer to the Premier League with a 3-0 win against Charlton at The Valley.

We led 1-0 at half time with Ashley Barnes scoring his first ever Burnley goal and that was followed in the second half by a Sam Vokes penalty and a stoppage time third from substitute Michael Kightly.

With 1,865 Burnley fans there, this was a top performance on a day when the two clubs behind us also scored. Derby, in fact, beat Nottingham Forest 5-0 in the lunchtime game and as we all enjoyed a pre-match pint with co-chairman John B in Blackheath, former chairman Barry Kilby, who labels himself the club pessimist, was getting more and more worried as each Derby goal went in.

By 5 p.m. he should have had no worries whatsoever. This performance from the Clarets had promotion stamped all over it.

Overall, 22nd March hasn't been the best for us with just five wins, two draws and nine defeats since we first played a game in 1902.

Of the other four wins, I've seen two,

notnowbernard
23-03-2015, 04:50 AM
Would be more accurate to say Newton was scythed down, it was right in front of me in the BHE and a clearer penalty you will never see. Didn't know about the apology and always thought the later penalty was to make amends because it seemed so innocuous. Sometimes 2 wrongs do make a right.

ClaretTony2014
23-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Tom Reynolds had refereed our 1-0 win at Liverpool earlier in the season and I think we always did really well with him refereeing, that was until that Arsenal game.

lotty1
23-03-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm sure that Reynolds got into trouble with the referees association or whatever it was called for admitting he'd made a mistake .:)