PDA

View Full Version : O/T Three Cranes and Antique Centre

moorgatemiller
30-03-2015, 06:29 AM
For those that are interested, Hambys Antique Centre has now moved into the Three Cranes Building and opens today. It has a museum too and I have had chance to see it and it is fantastic.

Rothbiz
30-03-2015, 08:06 AM
I was lucky enough to get a guided tour from Chris Hamby a couple of weeks ago. The history of the building is fascinating.

The renovation of what is the oldest nonreligious building still standing in Rotherham, has been done to emphasise the historic features. Parts of the medieval structure are visible inside.

dennys
30-03-2015, 11:23 AM
I was on High Street last week and was really impressed by the renovation work to the exterior of the building; it's well worth going for a look.

For anyone who doesn't usually visit the town centre, there are some really attractive, privately run small shops at the top end of High Street - well worth a visit if you are looking for small gifts for anyone, wanting coffee in pleasant surroundings or are a foodie who likes a good deli. I just hope these new businesses aren't going to suffer long term because of the changing pattern of footfall in Rotherham now that Tesco is at the other side of town.

And hats off to Chris Hamby who has been a prime mover in bringing about these changes. This is one part of the town centre where it's a pleasure to browse and shop.

(Edit for poor punctuation!)

Georgetown
01-04-2015, 08:09 AM
I always thought The Three Cranes building was to re open as a real ale pub with its own micro brewery. Is his Antiques shop instead of that or is the pub going to be in a different unit?

Was hoping for the pub as it would finish off a great ale circuit with the Bridge, NY Tavern and Cutlers.

samuel_vimes
01-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Like Rothbiz I too had the pleasure of a look around the complex with Chris a few weeks ago having not seen it for around 6 months.

The Three Cranes is to be the antique shop with a heritage section on the top floor as the building was deemed unsuitable for a pub or hotel development. After that it is all change:

- The current shoe shop will move back into the previous antiques centre (old Mason's jewellers)

- Things That Boys Like will move into the shoe shop once it is vacated and Yella Brick Road will also relocate into this shop (Frog's relatives I believe)

- The old Georgian building is nearing completion and The Bear's Den will relocate from their current premises in the Riverside Precinct

- Sophisticakes will stay in the old Oxfam shop

This only leaves the current Things That Boys Like shop to be let and personally I can't remember the last time so many shops were open on High Street. Combined with the Makers Emporium and Patchwork Pig the street is really taking shape and

Miller67
01-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Went past yesterday and it does looks quality, not been in yet, but there's no doubt I will.
The whole top end of High St is something a bit different to the rest of town, let's hope others can join in and carry on with what is a massive improvement.
Anyone took any pictures?

craftymiller
01-04-2015, 06:24 PM
The best is yet to come approx 5 to 6 weeks.

Brin
01-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Called in today...amazing to see all the really old timbers and plaster work..highly impressive how they've managed to keep so much of it...

One thing caught my eye and that was the list of landlord's of the three cranes that went way back...some really peculiars on the list...shows how times have changed to more modern christians...

Some of the timbers are well dead with woodworm and dry rot etc and one of the walls defies gravity how it's bowed out so much yet still in place...when you look how they've added new sash windows...even these are set in at an angle to accommodate the walls that are well off square..

If you get the time go and have a look it's not mind blowing but if you appreciate architecture then it's well worth the visit...oh and use the Tesco car park (red zone) it says one hour's free parking but in fact it's 3 hours...this allowed me to buy from a couple of town centre shops and have a good visit to the three cranes without worrying about having to dash

craftymiller
01-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Nice to see you spending your money in town Brin I hope it wasn't in Tesco.You can thank the town centre independent shops for persuading the council to grant the 3 hour free parking and don't forget it's free all day Saturday and Sunday.

clarkey1974
01-04-2015, 10:11 PM
The only little shame about the high street is that trade or footfall seems to be getting sucked over to the other end of town like a magnet to tesco...john norris as relocated across town and now wrays butchers is opening a new shop opposite markets,not sure if they're other shop is closing but i suspect it will do...with plans for more shopping outlets in pipeline over that side too.

wathrufc
02-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Would have been nice to see it as boozer.

great_fire
02-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Frasier, Niles and Martin?