PDA

View Full Version : Good result, what was the performance like?

gosia
05-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Just tuned in and it's 0-0 so for me a good result.

So to those who went what was the performance like?
Hopefully good and without injuries.

barrie_burn
05-04-2015, 02:36 PM
From TV real hard working effort.Just a shame Danny didn't put the one good chance away.
Not particularly impressed with Spurs and Harry Kane never got a sniff.

Imploding Turtle
05-04-2015, 02:39 PM
7 more 0-0 results and we'll stay up.

wills_claret
05-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Also from tv, certainly not a game for the purists. Spurs were woeful; weren't up for the fight, and there for the taking really. Heaton had one save to make all game, but vorm didn't have a great deal to do either. We scrapped well as always, but didn't quite have the quality in the final third to carve open genuine chances. As mentioned, ings had a one on one he really should've buried - It's the kind of chance we need to be sticking away.

I don't think we were good enough in the final third to say we definitely deserved the win hands down, but if anyone was going to nick it, I think burnley were the team to do it. It's not a bad point by any stretch, and a pretty solid performance.

ClaretTony2014
05-04-2015, 04:06 PM
"Spurs were woeful"

Strange that the opposition are always poor against us according to some. That was not a woeful performance by Spurs at all. Yes, they'll play better but that was a damn good result for us against a very good team.

Bin_Ont_Turf
05-04-2015, 04:09 PM
It was a pretty dreadful game.

We did our usual thing of making the opposition look ordinary by pressing and hunting the ball but our passing and crossing wasn't up to scratch.

You can't get too snotty about it when we get a point but we could easily have had all three.

AuntSally
05-04-2015, 04:11 PM
We seem to be quite good at making the opposition play badly. Maybe there might actually be something to do with how we play, as well.

Bin_Ont_Turf
05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
There seems to be an echo on this thread. :D

sausages
05-04-2015, 04:21 PM
"A pretty dreadful game".

No way! Were you there? Tottenham were as good as Burnley allowed them to be and Burnley were tremendous!

skiptonclaret
05-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Couldn't fault the effort which, to a man, was exceptional. Not a dissimilar pattern to a lot of home games, high tempo pressing but the difference between this and, for example, the Man City game was that we didn''t take our chance(s) - Ings probablyvmisses too many like that one early on to be honest.
I thought Spurs were there for the taking to be honest and, whilst being far from a disaster, really feel we needed to win one of the home games v Spurs and Arsenal. I think however that the latter will be a very different proposition unfortunately.

AuntSally
05-04-2015, 04:27 PM
I think 1 point from games against Spurs and Arsenal is a point more than I, and a lot of Burnley fans would have expected and accepted.

A superb point and I'll take a small defeat against Arsenal on the chin.

Bin_Ont_Turf
05-04-2015, 04:30 PM
'No way! Were you there?'

I was and the game was pretty dreadful.

'Tottenham were as good as Burnley allowed them to be'

I've covered that bit.

'and Burnley were tremendous!'

We were 'tremendous' in our last home game, we were just fair to good today.

0oogeorgeoghani
05-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Spurs started well and I thought we would get well beat, we then started our usual pressing game, Ings should have scored and we unsettled them like we do with all the top teams

wills_claret
05-04-2015, 04:38 PM
i think we played well and I always give us credit where it's due, but i completely stand by my comment that 'Spurs were woeful' and that as far as a neutral would be concerned it was a pretty awful game with little quality, especially in the final third. Apologies for being objective.

enola_gay
05-04-2015, 05:02 PM
The quantity of our work was impressive. The quality of it, less so.

Paying the price for poor recruitment in the summer. A genuinely effective striker might have made a difference at first change, all Jutkiewicz achieves though is giving Vokes a bit of a rest.

wherewasi
05-04-2015, 05:35 PM
So enola_gay, we should have had a better striker to improve things... presumably better (and therefore pricier) than Ings (6-10M) and Kane (15-20M?) neither of whom made any impact on the game. What a shame the board didn't invest in, say, Sanchez at 40M-ish to sit on the bench and make difference for the last 15.

summitclaret
05-04-2015, 05:49 PM
I thought we were great today, by stopping Spurs playing, yet trying to attack.

Ings should be scoring chances like the one after 5 minutes. As Henry said on Sky, he did not get his head up. He does it a lot. Hope he listens to the master.

SD made the wrong call when Sam tired. Juke is just too slow. Better to have moved Barnes into the middle and put Kights on especially as Walker was off.

No one expected us to spend 10m, but Juke and Sordell were poor signings.

Boliclaret
05-04-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm just pleased we kept a clean sheet because to have endured that and got nothing would have been a kick in the nuts.

The game certainly wasn't memorable but a good point against a side that put 5 past Chelsea.

NottsClaret
05-04-2015, 06:01 PM
We played pretty well. We nullified Spurs who've done loads of 'investing'. Kane was anonymous.

Much like every game we play, we gave it 100%, were impeccably well organised and just lacked that bit of class to make the difference at this level. But that's the bit that costs the big bucks.

Might be a decent point by the end of the season, who knows.

dsr
05-04-2015, 06:26 PM
The thing is, wills, you can say for game after game that the opposition were woeful and the game was there for the taking, but without mentioning the reason the opposition didn't play well.

It's not just coincidence. Much of our game is built round not letting the opposition play well. And we're good at it.

wills_claret
05-04-2015, 07:24 PM
I know what you're saying, it's not lost on me that we're excellent when we haven't got the ball. That aspect of our game was good again today, but if we'd have been a bit sharper with the ball, Spurs' defence would've struggled a lot more than they did. They were all over the place at the back.

I concede that 'woeful' may be overstating it a little, but judging them on their standards, I think they were very poor. Reasons being:

It's no secret we press. Spurs moved the ball so slowly all game, it meant our shape was never tested. Their midfield 3, especially Paulinho, played with no urgency at all.

every pass was in front of us, there were zero runners (aside from walker once or twice in the first half) beyond the midfielder that had the ball.

Their centre backs were often found to be 5+ yards away from a burnley player winning the ball in the air, near their box. You can give us credit for some good direct passes, but if it'd been the other way round SD would be going mental at

scouseclaret
05-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Opportunity missed I think. Spurs were poor (though sadly not as poor as Newcastle!) but we just didn't create enough. When we meet teams on an off day, we've got to take advantage if we're going to stay up.

Pidgeon
06-04-2015, 12:03 AM
If you like watching hoof ball then I suppose it was a decent effort. Dreadful game in my view.

casknotkeg
06-04-2015, 07:03 AM
I enjoyed the game and thought it was a good tussle. Not losing was the thing.
The Arsenal game is a 'free swing' as Merson would say, as we're expected to get nothing against em.
Get that one out of the way and we can start breathing heavily down the necks of our nervous looking rivals.
If and when we break out of the bottom 3, the tide will have turned.
UTC