PDA

View Full Version : Mike Duff - new contract?

ecc
05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Apologies if:

a)this has been done recently;

b)it's been announced he's leaving

I would offer him another one-year contract.

Shoot me down if you wish but having seen him (albeit on TV) v Citeh and today, we could do far worse. We'd still need another cb (to have four)IMO but I cannot believe he's 37 the way he played today.

AuntSally
05-04-2015, 06:52 PM
I've just come out of the trenches to say, yes, for sure.

Sidney1st
05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Player-coach, but Keane needs to be first choice next season if he's to continue developing, or he will become the next Kevin Long.

ClaretTony2014
05-04-2015, 07:09 PM
"or he will become the next Kevin Long"

He's in a different league to Kevin Long - but you play your best players and Duff has come back in and certainly had two very good games on the Turf.

Sidney1st
05-04-2015, 07:12 PM
My point was if he's going to sit on a bench for a season then he won't develop any further.

I like Duff and thought he had a very good game today , but he can't keep putting in that level of performance forever , hence my comment about player-coach.

ClaretTony2014
05-04-2015, 07:16 PM
"hence my comment about player-coach."

Duff has said only this week that he wants to continue as a player and the coaching can wait.

Keane will be OK, he's a good prospect, but I'd hope Duff would still be here next season. He was written off before last season and certainly before this season, but he's still here turning in really good performances.

daveisaclaret
05-04-2015, 07:17 PM
For as long as Duff is our 2nd best centre back (which he certainly is right now) he should be in the team. Whatever happens in the next 7 games, next season is going to be a massive one and we'd be foolish to compromise our short term prospects by dropping Michael Duff on the grounds that he's old and there's an inevitable drop-off in his ability at some indeterminable point in the future.

AuntSally
05-04-2015, 07:20 PM
CT, do you think Keane will stay, IF we were to go down?

MarcherClaret
05-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Overall Michael Duff has been a good servant to the club but so have other players too and we need better. He isn't really as good as many on here make him out to be. Fans like a battler and Duff is certainly that , but too often I have seen him read games poorly, make poor decisions and be caught out because he is too slow.

Most recently he was quoted in the paper as saying we need to take our chances in scoring goals when it was his blunder (by staying back at the post) that allowed the opposition player to remain onside and score an easy goal. Somehow he seems to have avoided criticism for that - some players tend to be favoured by the fans and Duff is one of the favoured ones.

To be fair, he has performed quite well in the last couple of seasons (even his passing has improved), although I think that if we could have afforded better centre backs he certainly would not be in the starting eleven. That said, there may be aspects of his character and approach off the pitch that re

Bin_Ont_Turf
05-04-2015, 07:38 PM
'CT, do you think Keane will stay, IF we were to go down?'

Don't worry we aren't going to have a fire sale or a mass walk out with dummies being thrown all o'er shop if we go down.

ashtonlongsider
05-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Think were more secure from the threat at set pieces and corners and it's no coincidence we've improved in that department since the return of Duff and Vokes.
I would certainly give Duff another 12 month contact.

Jamb0MackemClaret
05-04-2015, 09:01 PM
I thought I saw Kevin Kilbane mention a new contract for Duff on Twitter fairly recently.

Seems a no-brainer to give him another year if he wants one, although I wouldn't expect him to play much next season whichever league we're in.

SiClaret
05-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Simple answer is yes, give the man another one year contract. Still good enough and I am sure that Keane will get plenty of opportunities through lack of form, injury, or suspensions throughout next season.

Folk forget that since his arrival Shackell has been an almost ever present, injury and suspension free, its not just Duffo's position Keane is challenging for.

The more competition for places we have the better and at present Mr duff is holding one of them on merit. I thought he would be seriously tested for pace this season but with most teams only playing one up front both of the centre backs have rarely been challenged in an out and out race with any pace generally coming down the flanks.

Until we find something better, or a good replacement, as I am more than sure Keane is shaping up to be, then duffo has done enough this season to get another 12 months.

Whatever happens he will go down as one of our modern day hero's and is now quickly moving up the list of all time leadi

ColdPieWarmBeer
05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm throwing a massive girly tantrum if he isn't playing for us next year.

Quattro
06-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Player-coach for sure.

He knows the club, he is good enough, fit enough and an ideal role model to younger players!

RogerEliHatTrick
06-04-2015, 07:41 AM
He should be offered a 12 month contract without a doubt. If he is turning in performances like he has been I wouldn't care if he was 45. We have looked far more solid with him back in and he works well with Shackell.

taio
06-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Of course he should be offered an extension - he's been very good this season and it's a no brainer financially.

Sidney, did you not say recently that he should not be offered a new deal because he's ready for the 'knackers yard'?