PDA

View Full Version : Youth team are back home to Gawthorpe this week

ClaretTony
08-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Return for last game of the season - see link - view external link (www.clarets-mad.co.uk/roll/ed31/youth_team_are_back_home_to_gawthorpe_this_week_85 8956/index.shtml)

ecc
08-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Evening Tony. SD has spoken about investment in our training facilities and you've mentioned new pitches in your article. Could you possibly give us more details, please? I presume (rightly?) work has been done on drainage as I believe that's been a major issue. I also recall (going back a year or two) a thread on changing rooms as in the lads (all players?) were having to make do with a Portakabin. My memory may be playing me up.

It would be interesting to know what the money is being spent on.

Many thanks.

royboyclaret
08-04-2015, 07:47 PM
ecc, if you have access to Sky catch up there was a documentary on Burnley called 'Behind the Scenes' which was made just prior to the Everton home game last October.

In it SD gives a detailed insight into the changes at Gawthorpe and the cost involved to that point.

ClaretTony2014
08-04-2015, 09:09 PM
ecc won't have access to Sky catchup - he lives in France.

Basically, the club made alterations to the building down at Gawthorpe in the summer of 2011. It was much improved but Eddie Howe had it all done up for the first team and the youth team etc. were no longer allowed in. Since then the only facilities they've had down there have been portakabins and they were basically moved back to Turf Moor with a base in the building behind the Longside (old gym etc.).

Sean Dyche wants everyone in the same place and so a lot of work is needed but with only one suitable training pitch (the one Steve Cotterill got sorted with the tv money in 2005) he wanted that part of it sorting first.

I can't go into any detail because I've been down there only once all season, ploughing through mud to get to the youth pitch, but from what I'm told there are now new pitches available for use plus more to be sorted in phase 2.

We are also awaiting planning permission to put up new buildings including an i

ecc
09-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Hello royboy and Tony,

thank you both very much for replying.

royboy: as Tony said living in France I don't have access to Sky. The only Sky football programmes I can see are the matches which a French channel pays the rights for (and they pay a lot). Otherwise, the programme you mention sounds absolutely ideal. Many thanks for the information.

Tony: many thanks for the details.I recall that something that had been built but wasn't compliant with the EPPP rules. I shall avoid commenting on that.

If you do go down Gawthorpe on Saturday it would be very interesting to read your thoughts on what you saw.

Upgrading the Youth System has now become *****. It's not a "nice to have". It's quite simply crucial. Local kids who support the club would come what may but getting lads who don't support us must be mighty tough when they come and see archaic facilities.

I don't want to get into a Dyche v Howe thing but I think SD is absolutely right that EVERYBODY uses the same facilities. There

ClaretTony2014
09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
A little more info on the plans for Gawthorpe.

If you look at the pic below (use the link which provides a bigger version) you will see the total plan.

At the bottom left it shows the current first team training pitch (the plan is to have this floodlit) and next to it the all weather pitch. Just to the right of that are the existing buildings (comprising one building, portakabins and Arthur's bungalow).

On the plans, the long standing youth team pitch is the one to the right (the one with the circular bush to the right of it). The three pitches above and the three below are all the new pitches that have been created in phase 1.

Two pitches directly to the left and three others are part of the next phase along with the white block which shows the new indoor areas.

For those who don't know Gawthorpe, access to the current youth pitch from the building is over the bridge (the one dandeclaret used to joke about Cotterill building) and then right down the path before going across the n

ClaretTony2014
10-04-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm bumping this - I am amazed it has attracted so little interest