PDA

View Full Version : Goal Drought Solution

steddyman
11-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Goals seemed to have dried up completely for us these last 6 games with only 1 goal scored in all that time. But for our strong defensive performance we would already be out for the count.

This seems to co-incide with Sam coming back into the side, first as a sub then later replacing Ashley up front. I noticed today that the ball stuck much more to Ashley than it did to Sam.

Perhaps it is time to move Sam back to the bench and bring on somebody else to support midfield, like Freddy or Matt.

Bin_Ont_Turf
11-04-2015, 08:14 PM
The ball stuck better with Barnes because he's receiving diagonal balls in a wide position without an opposition player hung onto his back.

Vokes had to contend with straight hoofs at him with a World Cup winning centre back up his arris. Meat and drink for Per.

It does need changing though and I would be in favour of moving Barnes up top and sticking Taylor or Kightly out wide.

1989_claret
11-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Just been having this conversation. I'd replace Vokes with Taylor depending on how fit Taylor is which I imagine he isn't near to match fitness and have Barnes and Ings up top together again.

mgill87
11-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Solution? Stick it in the net :)

But yes, I posted the same on another thread. It may well be down to the quality of the opposition we've been facing. However you look at it, 1 goal in the last 6 isn't good and hopefully we're looking at it.

Thank goodness we've got Sordell and Juke waiting in the wings - there's still hope.

O:)

ClaretTony2014
11-04-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm with 1989_claret on this one.

Bin_Ont_Turf
11-04-2015, 09:43 PM
'I'm with 1989_claret on this one'

What even though he copied what I said? :)

Akinbadbye_20
11-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Taylor was poor wide though and didnt have the fitness to do the job properly, not sure if there really is an ideal solution from the start, we just need to stay in games and try to knick the odd goal. Ulvestad central and Arfield back our wide is what id be tempted to do but thats just hoping that Ulvestad is good enough

Bin_Ont_Turf
11-04-2015, 09:50 PM
'Taylor was poor wide though'

When?

Johnwinstonlennon
11-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Dont worry, Sean Dyche will get some of the millions that the board have got, in the January transfer window.

They'll have a look at what our relegation rivals are doing and strengthen in all areas of our team.

They'll realise, its their job to give the best manager BFC have had in 40/50 years, the funds to secure a Premier League future for next season

Oh, hang on...:?

DiBranchio
11-04-2015, 10:30 PM
You sounded like clareturion for a minute there.

And as for the 'best manager BFC have had in 40/50 years.' C'mon lad, behave yourself

dallasclaret
11-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Name a better one DiBranchio in that time ? I'm 40 and can't remember one in my time (other than Jimmy Mullen ;D ) ?

Akinbadbye_20
11-04-2015, 10:37 PM
'Taylor was poor wide though'

When?

At the start of the season, he wasnt giving us an attacking threat and didnt have the fitness to press or track runners well enough

dallasclaret
11-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Surely he can manage 30 mins as a sub though ?

Akinbadbye_20
11-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Possibly but not sure what impact he could make wide if we needed a goal. Think he's probably better centrally

Bin_Ont_Turf
11-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Yes he didn't look like he knew what he was doing when he got to the byline and put over that cross for Arfield to score against this seasons champions.

dallasclaret
11-04-2015, 10:57 PM
either way, zero point in Dyche signing him if he didn't think he was up to the job surely ?

Everton are solid in the air and have full backs that push forward, like others have said elsewhere, Vokes needs to go on the bench and put Barnes back up top with Ings. If we are concerned with Kightly's workrate or fitness I'd be tempted to stick Ward out there.

edit: we were talking about Taylor ! Point still stands though

Akinbadbye_20
11-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Well done, youve thought of one good ball he put across. Its getting into those positions to deliver that he struggles with.

Bin_Ont_Turf
11-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Well your turn then, give us some examples.

daveisaclaret
11-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Even if Matt Taylor had played poorly for us (I don't agree but that's neither here nor there), why would anyone be saying Ulvestad should be in the team ahead of him because Taylor was poor in his first three (3) games?

It's bonkers to judge him on that at a time when the whole team wasn't creating chances, even if we also rule out Taylor creating our only goal in those games.

beddie
12-04-2015, 07:13 AM
The problem is the midfield. Far too slow at shifting it through the units. We really do need some quality in there.