PDA

View Full Version : Learning from Leicester

jdrobbo
25-04-2015, 06:35 PM
For those saying Nigel Pearson was right all along, please give your head a wobble. The ONLY thing that he was right about was that Leicester are a better football team with better players than Burnley. Even I now concede that he was right with that. However, you know full well that that wasn't the main point of his rant. His main argument was about a Leicester being a more professionally well run club on every level...and that I strongly dispute and find very damning of our fantastic football club. I don't like Pearson, I find him a highly distasteful human being. However, he deserves immense credit for riding a terribly difficult period and keeping his team strong.

Strong is an appropriate word...Leicester were very physical throughout their side and we couldn't match that level of physicality. It was a great strength.

They had wonderful protection in the form of Cambiasso. He was excellent throughout, constantly breaking up play and taking the ball from Morgan and Huth. I Acknowl

mgill87
25-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Brilliant post, I find it hard to disagree with any of that.

Leicester do have better players and at present are a better team. 4 wins on the bounce is a great achievement so fair play to them.

Hopefully next season will bring more wins, better football and more reasons to smile.

the_quoon
25-04-2015, 06:39 PM
thought they were absolutely dire today and whilst we weren't much better, we were better.

mgill87
25-04-2015, 06:42 PM
"thought they were absolutely dire today and whilst we weren't much better, we were better.

And yet we come away with 0 points yet again. If they were dire and still won it just shows how much we're lacking.

the_quoon
25-04-2015, 06:44 PM
you've even quoted the bit that says we weren't much better.

BobLordsFridge
25-04-2015, 06:48 PM
The only aspect of the club that is better than ours is the one that counts when it comes to the influencing the future level you'll be competing at?

wills_claret
25-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Can't disagree with any of that.

They proved last year they were a better side than us, not least because they had, and have, better players. Nothing's changed there. What they've managed to do all season even when losing, is create chances. it takes organisation and hard work to stop the opposing team, it takes moments of real quality (especially in this league) to score at the other end. Unfortunately we don't have enough of it.

belgianclaret
25-04-2015, 06:54 PM
agreed with OP

Still I hope they also go down

thedonz
25-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Had we scored the penalty which should have happened we would have won of that I am convinced. Nothing to learn from Leicester on the pitch today.

Notrigsbyscat
25-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't understand why we've changed what was relatively successful in the middle third of the season.

It coincides with us stopping conceding from corners :/

mgill87
25-04-2015, 07:01 PM
"you've even quoted the bit that says we weren't much better."

As well as the bit that said 'we were better'. Feel free to explain that one. According to some on here, we're the better team almost every game. Still, it doesn't get us many points does it?

the_quoon
25-04-2015, 07:06 PM
whats to explain?
neither side was very good but we were the better of the two; we created more chances; apart from the goal, they've had one shot on target in 90 mins whereas their keeper has made three good saves that kept them in the game and we've also missed a penalty.

if you really needed that spelling out to you, i'm not sure what you were watching today.

mgill87
25-04-2015, 07:12 PM
As I said earlier, if they were dire and still won it just shows how much we're lacking. We can't score for the life of us and Leicester tucked theirs away. Perhaps we're lacking that clinical nature.

ksrclaret
25-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I thought Leicester were crap today. Was expecting to see bags of pace and energy from them but instead they just flooded the midfield and focused on fouling us.

That they won is more a measure of us than them I'm afraid.

wills_claret
25-04-2015, 07:17 PM
We are good at nullifying teams, even if we can't stick it in the onion bag at the other end. But on the whole leicester have been playing much better than us, clearly.

the_quoon
25-04-2015, 07:19 PM
it doesn't though, thats the point. we're two pretty even teams.

we just lacked a bit of luck today, more than anything.

as ever, its fine margins. they got a break for the goal and when the same thing happened at the other end, we didn't.

claretspice
25-04-2015, 07:19 PM
We had the clearer chances, certainly at 0-0, but Leicester always looked the slicker of two ragged teams - they moved the ball with more class, confidence and therefore urgency than we did throughout and they did also have more pace than we did in their team.

However, it seems we're saying the two key lessons from today were that, even if you play 4-4-2 in one form or another, to be successful at PL level you need (a) a bit of quality in the centre of midfield, and (b) a bit of pace, ideally in wide areas.

And in truth I don't think they are new lessons at all - and we've ignored them as a club before, and I've no great confidence we'll do differently this time around.

wills_claret
25-04-2015, 07:27 PM
They proved they were clearly a better side last season quoon, when they won the league at a canter. You'd say us and Spurs were fairly even judging by that one off game at the turf. Leicester have won 4 on the bounce, something we're galaxies away from achieving. They might not have proved it today, but they are a better side.

the_quoon
25-04-2015, 07:34 PM
thought it was pretty obvious i was referring today's game, wills?

"thought they were absolutely dire today and whilst we weren't much better, we were better."

no doubt they proved their quality last season and indeed over a season they should be better than us given the amount of money they've spent.

RogerEliHatTrick
25-04-2015, 07:46 PM
I thought they were quite poor today but they looked marginally better than us. The result would suggest that too. Over the season they probably are much better as we have never looked like putting two back to back wins together let alone four.

jdrobbo
25-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Hopefully the pressure will be off a little next week and we'll give a good account if ourselves at West Ham.

PapaBendi
25-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Its a good post Jrobbo and what we could do with learning the most from is recruitment and paying out money. If you want to survive at this level you have to spend realistic cash and also what Pearson has in his team is a bit of pace..something Dyche I think forgot ever happened to football and as a missing element it has been a bit mortifying to watch at times this season.

dallasclaret
25-04-2015, 11:56 PM
they massively outspent us - I would expect them to be a better team.

mkmel
26-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Leicester were able to substitute their 10M striker Ulloa with their 8M striker Kramaric

We substituted Jutkiewicz with Sordell

dallasclaret
26-04-2015, 12:19 AM
"Leicester were able to substitute their 10M striker Ulloa with their 8M striker Kramaric

We substituted Jutkiewicz with Sordell"

NAIL.ON.HEAD !

mdd2
26-04-2015, 06:51 AM
But didn't we manage two back to back wins against Hull and Stoke? I think we went four games without a defeat and got 8 points. If only history could repeat itself, although 34 points isn't looking enough now is it?

hampsteadclaret
26-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Quite a few people on this thread saying we lack pace...real pace is important I agree, it scares defenders to death.

Kightly and Sordell have plenty of speed do they not, but they rarely get picked [fair enough] but they rarely come on as substitutes either, when we need to change things a bit.

taio
26-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Kightly has plenty of pace...really?

mgill87
26-04-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure how fast Kightly actually is. He's quicker than most of our other players but that's not saying much. True enough his pace should have been used more often than it has been though. We've become rather one-dimensional.

taio
26-04-2015, 09:46 AM
I like Kightly but to suggest he's fast is laughable - when does he beat a man with his speed? It's true that one of the main things we lack in our side is pace.