PDA

View Full Version : Sean Dyche - Chink in his armor

MrGrass
03-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Before i state my opinion let me first say ive been watching Burnley for 30+ years and had some great managers such as Mullen, Ternent and Coyle but Dyche is by far and away the best we've had in my time by a mile and hope he's here for many years to come. Also a lot of people will disagree so not gonna argue my point but state it clearly and if you disagree fair enough

My concern is Dyche has not shown the ability to make a big signing to improve the team. I think Dyche is over cautious in the transfer market an think it will cost us next season

People think having money is easy but the difference between signing a Costa or a Falco is what makes the top managers special

Dyche has shown exceptional skills at fixing holes and getting the best out of his players but can he spend 4M + to replace a player/position that is not a problem to improve the team

People have blamed the board and recruitment team and they might be correct but my opinion is that Dyche sets the value we are will

Pieandapint
03-05-2015, 12:12 PM
I sort of get your point but Dyche would have been right to say no, if Hull had wanted 6 million for Boyd, so a strange analogy.

I can see the benefits of us having a D of F type role at the club.

MrGrass
03-05-2015, 12:19 PM
The Boyd scenario was just an exaggerated example of how Dyche rightly has influence over recruitment and Iwasnt saying he would have been wrong to pay 6M for Boyd.

I believe there was other targets we didnt get because Dyche wasnt willing to risk paying slightly over the odds

oldcolner
03-05-2015, 12:23 PM
MrG
Is your Whelan? ;D
I think Sean had some good players in his sights like Deeney Bryson Dawson but our wages are the problem. We can't afford to offer sky high wages and clubs with bigger crowds can out gun us. We need to get young players and develop them,

ksrclaret
03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I understand where you're coming from and I too have a few question marks over his ability in the transfer market when it comes to the younger players, but I don't like the suggestion that Dyche was reluctant to spend big in case it damaged his own reputation. I think he's a bloke of integrity and that just doesn't fit.

ClaretTony2014
03-05-2015, 12:26 PM
"I think Sean had some good players in his sights like Deeney Bryson Dawson but our wages are the problem"

Don't think that was the case with any one of them

MrGrass
03-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Fair point Oldcolner but i think there are better players than Barnes Arfield and maybe even Jones within our price range this summer so lets see what happens.

Really hope Im proved wrong on this

MrGrass
03-05-2015, 12:29 PM
KSR agree about Dyche's integraty and dont for one minute think it was a conscious decision but think its possibly a sub conscious part of his make-up

army88
03-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Completely get that post and I understand where your coming from.

I also think Dyche is a v good manager,

Here's the but, and I've posted this very early on this season.

He has stuck with what he knows from day 1 regarding formation and tactics, and in some ways I get that because of our person ell.
However managers that have been have out thought him and changed the game in a matter of minutes, our reaction time to this has been too slow.

If Sean stays he may turn out to be a real genius next year if he's learnt anything at all from this season, one of his strengths/ failings maybe the fact that the players he targets have to tick all his boxes in regards to how they play. This maybe the reason that our so called targets were smaller than we all expected.
as all of you I'm still with him now and next year regardless of league,
I genuinely think we will lose Trips which should give him another 10 million for his war chest along with Danny compensation money, so without the parachu

wherewasi
03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I agree that, from a fan's point of view, the failure to tweak tactics or personnel has been difficult to understand. I wonder how influenced he was by the debacle at West Brom. There, we had to change, and it was horrible - the only time this season that a team who aren't in theory that much better than us tore us to bits.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
The signings of Heaton, Boyd, Keane, Arfield and Kightly for not much money sort of renders your argument a tad useless. We could recoup the money spent on Sordell and the Juke in a heartbeat.
I believe the wage ceiling imposed by the Board (and rightly so in my opinion) prevented the capture of players he also wanted to recruit.
Anyway, onwards and forwards and thank God we don't support Blackpool!

sheffieldturfite
03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
So to succintly summarise what the OP is saying is that Dyche i not a risk taker?

That may or may not be true but could be a touch harsh.

The three teams ending the season in the worst form, us, QPR and Newcastle are ending the season with a manager without a single day of top flight managerial experience before this season? I suspect Dyche will do better next time.

BOYSIE31
03-05-2015, 04:51 PM
He paid over the odds for both Juke and Sordell

moltisanti
03-05-2015, 05:05 PM
.Anyway, onwards and forwards and thank God we don't support Blackpool!

What has that got to do with anything

nutsinmay
03-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Whilst not making light of our obvious shortcomings in the transfer market, I still think (and it was touched on in post #9) that we could have scraped home with a more flexible approach on the field, or should I say the technical area.

SD's apparent reluctance to make substitutions or tactical changes until it's too late to affect the game, suggests that he has little or no confidence in the personnel on the bench. OK, I agree that comes back to transfers, but a blind man on the proverbial galloping horse could see that Vokes' return wasn't working, but SD persisted with him (and Barnes out wide) because it appeared to be a case of 'anyone but Kightly'.

I also still don't understand why we seemed to abandon our crisp, pressing style in favour of hoofing it.

Halffullclaret
03-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Not playing Kightley out wide right ,instead allowing us to slow the game down with negative back passing.Poor use of subs in games we could have won .Signing Sordell,Reid and Chalobah.Not allowing any of our emerging players to get game time. I don't blame Sean for lack of spending on much needed reinforcements.This is the fault of our directors.Someone has made the point of corner shop mentality.This negative mind set is NOT Sean's fault.