PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ings Replacement

billyhamilton82
12-05-2015, 10:17 AM
I know its been done to death BUT we are getting to the stage where we need to have something lined up.

We can't do our usual messing about as prices go up and alert everyone.

Who do you think we will be in for?

Or will we rely on Sordell?

IMO the lad should be in the same mould as Ings :

Young up and coming.

Fast and skilful

Obviously knows where the net is.

Realistic contenders that I can see :

1. Nouha Dicko age - 22- Wolves

Last year of contract, would go for Sako as well in double deal.

2. Nakhi Wells age - 24 - Huddersfield Town

Its all been said before on here.

3. Andre Gray age - 23 - Brentford

Adjusted to Champ level really well, looks a find.

4. Leigh Griffiths - 24 - Celtic

Bit of a nob by the sounds but no doubt he can score and is quick

5. Patrick Bamford - 21 - Chelsea

As long as Boro stay down we have a chance and he would be perfect

Can anyone add any others?

Iamaclaret
12-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Think we would only have a chance with Wells and Gray, we can't afford the others.

BereavementDividend
12-05-2015, 10:44 AM
How could we afford any of these players?

sae11
12-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Think the Lad Garner at PNE worth a shot at immaterial of whether they go up or not. Similar mould scores goals from inside/outside box- chases hard too.

SMC_Claret
12-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Given Preston's almost guaranteed failure at Wembley in 12 days time, how about a bid for Joe Garner? The lad seems to be pretty handy. He's already 27 and hasn't had a decent shot at Championship level thus far. I know it would take some adjustment to see Garner written on the back of a claret and blue shirt but we have to exorcise those demons at some point!

The OP suggested Andre Gray. I've seen him - he's very good indeed but is only one year into a three year contract. Assuming Brentford don't get promoted, they are likely to hold Burnley to ransom over the transfer fee, safe in the knowledge that we have money in the bank.

Going off at a slight Brentford-related tangent, if Dyche were to leave Turf Moor this summer, would Mark Warburton be a suitable replacement? He's built one hell of a team at Brentford and has them playing the right way. I can't think of a compelling reason why he should not be considered.

(Edit: Sae beat me to it!)

CasaDeClaret
12-05-2015, 11:03 AM
I really do rate Garner.
Spent a couple years at Watford while Sean Dyche was there which may help our cause.

Be very pleased if we went in for him.

BereavementDividend
12-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Hasn't had a decent crack at the Championship?

Are you serious???

He was at Nottingham Forest for 2 years (and a year on loan at Huddersfield and S****horpe) then was at Watford for a while.

Hardly made waves above League 1.

billyhamilton82
12-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Garner is too old at 27 IMO if he was still 24 ish but there is no resale value and as mentioned he hasn't set the world alight above League One.

We should be looking at young up and coming strikers and yes it will cost some money.

I'd rather rely on Sordell than waste money on Garner.

SMC_Claret
12-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Yes, I'm serious, Bereavement.

A decent crack at Championship level hardly includes a struggling club like S****horpe or the horror of a stint at Nottingham Forest under Billy Davies' stewardship.

A decent crack with a decent team.

M4CCA
12-05-2015, 11:31 AM
So the player in question needs to be.

Under 24/ up a coming
pacey
Tricky
Not have longer than a year on his contract
Be able to score 20+ championship goals
Be Cheap

So what your saying is the player needs to be in your ****ing dreams

Or Danny Ings ;-)

The Bedlington Terrier
12-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Zach Clough from the Notlobs. This lad is the absolute ringer of a young Danny Ings. Will BWFC sell him to us though?

Iamaclaret
12-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Will Grigg is interesting, just been promoted with MKDons scoring 20+ (on loan from Brentford). Also scored 20+ for Walsall a year previous. Similar route to Austin/Ings, going Non-league to Pro.

I'm sure Dyche will be asking his friend Warburton about the Brentford guys, especially as Warburton is leaving them.

Oh, and he's 23.

M4CCA
12-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Iamaclaret - is he tricky though?
...Also how longs left on his contract?

Joking aside exactly the sort we should be looking at. Young ish. and knows where the net is. People make a lot of fuss around experience in a certain division, if you can score 20+ goals consecutively in the league below you obviously know where the net is.
A striker is only as good as the service he is given.

People may laugh but I think Austin would bag 20 goals for Arsenal, they make so many chances around the box they almost walk it in. They need someone to finish things off.
To much fuss about this "number 10 role" and "false number 9's" etc etc

Jamb0MackemClaret
12-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Grigg could be a decent shout. Would prefer us to invest in someone but James Wilson on loan from United would be ideal.

Notrigsbyscat
12-05-2015, 12:24 PM
some of thes on here prove "operation dumb-down expectations" is in full and effective swing

CardyTheClaret
12-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Ashley Barnes will step up.

cockneyclaret
12-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Chris wood from Leicester..
on loan at ipswich I think? Only 23 and wouldnt cost much now

Ric_C
12-05-2015, 12:30 PM
How about Dave Nugent?

I know he's not in the young bracket, but he's decent at champ level, and similar in pace / finishing to Danny.

Scores goals in the championship, settled in well last time, and maybe surplus to requirements at Leicester.

Not sure on wages, but if he wants to play football, we might tempt him with a decent offer?

ksrclaret
12-05-2015, 12:42 PM
My first choice would be Benik Afobe, 17 goals for MK Dons and then 13 goals for Wolves last season. He's been playing as a deeper-lying forward as well due to his ability to link up with the midfield. 22 years old full of pace and power, probably the ideal striker for us. Unfortunately it's highly unlikely Wolves would sell to us and also unlikely we could afford him.

My second choice would be Will Grigg who's already been mentioned, saw both Grigg and Afobe tear up Man Utd's defence in the Cup earlier in the season and both were very impressive.

lchk
12-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Burnley will sign another 500K Championship reserve player i.e. Marvin Sordell Mk II

jojomk1
12-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Would not expect any striker to come in unless we can offload Juke or Sordell

The powder must remain dry for as long as possible

Maybe we will learn from this season and actually bring in a couple of central midfielders as a priority

BobLordsFridge
12-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Let's hope Sean Dyche isn't picking the replacement.

His permanent striker signings both here and at Watford have all been failures.

BereavementDividend
12-05-2015, 01:54 PM
You'd hope to holy Hell that we'd buy a good solid replacement, another high end Championship striker, but we won't, we never have, even though we have the finances to take players off our rivals I just can't see it happening.

army88
12-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Tongue in cheek maybe someone should give Eddie Howe a quick ring, he seems to know where the relatively uncut diamonds hang out.

Newcastleclaret1993
12-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Does anyone else think using Juke as part of a deal to sign that young lad at Bolton is a good idea. I seriously doubt he will play much next season and Bolton rate him (don't they?). Could maybe offer juke an 1 mil for that young lad and then just cover his wages with jukes

ClaretMoffitt
12-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd be happy to go at it with our current strike force. Much rather we spent some money in the midfield area.

Barnes and Vokes together would score goals. With Juke and Sordell as back up. Idk, I just feel with a good pre-season, they could work together well in the championship.

( bump this post in 12 months time )

rats
12-05-2015, 04:35 PM
What about that Terry gornal fella.

MrTopTier
12-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Bearing in mind what we spent getting to the Premier League. People need to alter their parameters when looking at players.

First of all, we are not going to spend more than 3 million on one player.

Clubs in the same league and potential rivals are not going to sell to us, nor are lower end Prem clubs.

Players such as Bamford/Pritchard having had a years quality experience and performed well at Championship level will be looking for playing time at their parent clubs or loan moves to the Prem.

Which leaves you with up and coming talent at a Prem club that require playing time such as James Wilson at Man Utd. Nakhi Wells if he fits in to our pay structure. Up and coming from the lower leagues such as Tom Nichols at Exeter.

The reality is I think we will go with what we have got and that being the case we need two decent midfielders and a wide player with pace, gives you the option of going 4-5-1 and there is likely to be more value in that area than a striker.

billyhamilton82
12-05-2015, 06:00 PM
"First of all, we are not going to spend more than 3 million on one player."

I think you may be surprised.

To have any chance at all we MUST replace Ings with like for like or as close as we possibly can.

Centre forwards cost money...real money, there are no half measures we must invest.

We will have to pay the going rate.

enola_gay
12-05-2015, 06:51 PM
I do wish people would get over this growing obsession with Joe Garner.

His record above League One level is mediocre at best and we've given PNE enough money for mediocre/poor players over the years.

As for Ings's replacement it's probably going to be Barnes, with Vokes playing the 'like signing a new player' role after a full pre-season while Jutkewiecz and Sordell wait in the wings as 'strikers waiting for a chance to step up to the plate and show what they can do'. All singing and dancing along to a chorus of "We've Got To Cut Our Cloth Because We Can't Compete With (insert club who've spent some money) Who've Paid ?million For (insert this summer's McCormack)"

Bobcloth2
12-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I think deep down we all know the replacement is Sordell.

cockneyclaret
12-05-2015, 07:05 PM
"We will have to pay the going rate."

I can feel the shudder in the board room as that is read outloud

:D :D :D

gossyclaret
12-05-2015, 07:13 PM
John Guidetti will be on a free this summer. Neil Lennon has him on his radar for Bolton. - view external link (http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/12/report-neil-lennon-plans-offer-to-sign-celtic-striker-john-guide/)

steppa
13-05-2015, 06:17 AM
If PNE fail at Wembley Joe Garner will be on his way to us..but if they're promoted he'll be staying put.. or so they reckon?

claret78
13-05-2015, 06:47 AM
I predict on August the 8th PNE will be lining up in the Championship with Garner and we will with Sordell.

If I'm right, it's going to be one very very long season.

Wembley09
13-05-2015, 07:02 AM
To get somebody like Ings (when we got Ings) would be hard.

Players like Ings will already be touted by bigger clubs, or at least clubs prepared to spend bigger budgets. They will also have a pretty big asking price.

Eddie Howe was the key factor in getting Ings. He knew Danny Ings from seeing him inside and out at Bournemouth.. saw the potential etc. And likewise, Danny Ings knew Eddie Howe from Bournemouth and would have been the key reason he joined us. (I know there was a few clubs after Danny Ings when we got him)

GordonvaleClaret
13-05-2015, 07:11 AM
ME! ME! PICK ME!

I'll give it a go. OK, so I'm not any good, but just one game and I'll be set for life!

steve_f
13-05-2015, 07:25 AM
John Guidetti, good shout, but looks like he's on his way to Stoke

JohnMcGreal
13-05-2015, 07:42 AM
It was becoming clear just under a year ago that Danny Ings wasn't going to sign a new contract with us. I'm 99% sure that we signed Sordell and Jutkiewicz knowing that we will lose Ings, and most likely be in the Championship again in 12 months.

There's no way Dyche signed those two strikers for the PL. I think Vokes, Barnes, Sordell and Jutkiewicz will be our 4 strikers next season.

Notrigsbyscat
13-05-2015, 12:55 PM
I might possibly be certifiable, but I feel I'm in the camp that believes Sordell will step up to the task

MDWat
13-05-2015, 01:19 PM
I would make two signings in the Championship next season up front.

I'd start by potting Jutkiewicz who isn't good enough. Even at this level he's never really been a goalscorer.

My main signing would be someone has already been mentioned on this thread - David Nugent. Leicester will be upgrading their strikers. Nugent knows the club and how to get out of this division. I'd then cast the net far and wide for a diminutive, quick striker. No idea who.

Vokes, Barnes, Sordell, Nugent and 1 other. I'd be happy with that. A lot of variety.

gossyclaret
13-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Dwight Gayle would complement our squad. Still only 24 and would bring some pace up front for us.

army88
13-05-2015, 01:36 PM
you have considerably more faith than Me Not rigsby,

It's not that I don't believe sordell has talent, he just doesn't hve the heart and imo will never deliver on a regular basis.

He may flatter to deceive every now and then but after that he'll be back to being a none entity.

He's kind of a poor Heskey in my eyes, should be strong physical and a real handfull , but spends more time on the floor and moaning than actually delivering and end product.

MDWat
13-05-2015, 01:38 PM
I haven't seen any of that in Sordell at all.

It appears to be all just made up to me.

pstotto
13-05-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm sure Ings has been offered a lucrative 3 year deal to stay at Burnley. He may sign for us yet.

FCBurnley
13-05-2015, 02:22 PM
With the track record of this board they will pocket the cash and expect Juke, Sordell, Barnes and Vokes to be enough. They thought those 4 plus Ings were enough in the Prem so why spend money in a lower division will be their logic.

dallasclaret
13-05-2015, 03:15 PM
We've more chance of signing Ron Futcher than some of thes mentioned on here !

I doubt we'll sign any new strikers

Chuckypad
13-05-2015, 05:21 PM
How about Ron Futcher?

bodge
13-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Another shout for Will Grigg here, always been impressed when I've seen him.

mkmel
13-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Will Grigg was unwanted by Mark Warburton at Brentford but now he's leaving their new coach/manager may want to keep him

Robinson at Milton Keynes has said in today's local MK press that he would like him back there next season

Burnlea
13-05-2015, 07:00 PM
I remember when Eddie Howe signed Vokes and some people were less than impressed, he got hardly any playing time and was written off by a few, then Sean gave him a chance and he bangs in 20 goals and is player of the year. So I'm hoping Sordell can do the same if given the chance. Let's not right him off just yet.

Wembley09
13-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Even Will Grigg would probably be out of what we could afford, also his wages may be more than Burnley could/would like to offer.
He's scored alot of goals, and helped a team to win promotion from League One.. he will be watched by a few teams. Even most Championship clubs have a bigger wage budget than Burnley.

For Burnley, somebody like Paddy Madden could be a shout. Still young ish, had a very good season helping Yeovil win promotion to the Championship a couple of seasons ago with 23 league goals.. before falling out with the backroom staff, and kept out of the first team.
Would be a gamble, but an affordable gamble for a club like us.. and I'm sure if somebody like Dyche could get his head sorted, he could be a fine striker to have.

He started every single game in every competition last season for S****horpe (chipping in with 14 goals) first player in 16 years to do so for them. So we don't have to worry about another Martin Paterson type. - [url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHXzgyz

superclarets26
13-05-2015, 09:06 PM
not a striker but rudolph austin as been released by Leeds Utd today. I think he would be a good signing imo

claretspice
13-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Benik Afobe is someone i'd have liked us to be after back in January, he's not an option now.

Andre Grey I like the look of. He's got pace, and that bit of x-factor like Ings, although I don't think his movement is as good. I don't see any reason why he should be out of range this summer.

James Wilson is an interesting loan shout.

The likes of Guidetti, Garner (leaving aside he's not good enough) etc. are the wrong sort of player. We need someone with pace, not someone who is basically a target man.

As for Sordell, he'll be a good option next season. There's a very talented player in Sordell, we've not seen it and Bolton fans haven't seen it but its there, just needs tapping before its too late. He hasn't gone long.

clentclaret
13-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Rudolph Austin if released by a Yorkshire championship club, he can't be good enough for us

Now where have I heard that before?

claretspice
13-05-2015, 09:25 PM
One other point - after this much vaunted investment in our scouting network, I'd like to think that at least one of the 2/3 marquee signings we need will come from overseas, so I wouldn't limit our striker targets to those from the Championship and League 1.

billyhamilton82
14-05-2015, 07:17 AM
"not a striker but rudolph austin as been released by Leeds Utd today. I think he would be a good signing imo"

Ash Barnes may have an issue with this?

That said I think he would be a good player to bolster the midfield. Not a guaranteed starter but certainly the type of player you need in a long Championship season. Would seem the perfect stand in for Marney.

Iamaclaret
14-05-2015, 08:30 AM
"Would seem the perfect stand in for Marney."

Provided Marney is even with us. Without Marney, he walks straight into the starting XI.

Completely agree that there's a player in Sordell, maybe Dyche can give him the same talk he gave Ings/Vokes when Austin left.

Newcastleclaret1993
14-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Does anyone know when the transfer window opens?

I genuinely think we might see some players from overseas this summer, can't see why they would set up a scouting network to not use it. There are some real bargains to be found by looking overseas and I imagine this is where they will look?
Unless anyone knows if we have scrapped the foreign scouting network now we are relagated?

the_quoon
14-05-2015, 09:32 AM
we've already signed a player from overseas. doubt they'd scrap it until its not viable any more.

smidge
14-05-2015, 11:22 AM
More likely to be a loan player as additional striker, Sinclair from Liverpool rumoured.
Might be part of the deal with Ings

claretspice
14-05-2015, 12:23 PM
To throw another into the frame - who I've seen us linked with in various unreliable sources - I see Sammy Ameobi is leaving Newcastle on a Bosman.

He's never quite put it all together up there but like Ings before his breakthrough season he has all the attributes and is a real talent. There are - reportedly - several other suitors including premier league teams but nonetheless it's the sort of profile of player we should be in a position to offer competitive terms given our financial position. Who knows, the guarantee of regular football and the example of Ings might make that attractive to Ameobi or any similar player. - view external link (!)

mkmel
14-05-2015, 12:25 PM
If by Sinclair you mean Scott Sinclair isn't he at Man City?

Just seen that Liverpool have a young striker called Jerome Sinclair so is that who you meant?

goobs
14-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Would be VERY excited if we managed to agree a deal with sinclair as part of Danny Ings' move to Liverpool.

He is extremely well thought of at the club and the forwards they are producing at the moment are looking very exciting for the future. Sterling, Ibe and Sturridge (okay I know he was bought) all have a certain flair about them and know where the net is. If that is anywhere near their quality he would tear the championship apart (look at Derby's fall from grace after losing Ibe in January).

mkmel
14-05-2015, 12:46 PM
I've just checked and as I thought he is at Man City although on loan at Aston Villa so nothing to do with Liverpool

silkyskills1
14-05-2015, 12:52 PM
'Completely agree that there's a player in Sordell'

I think some of us said something similar for a few seasons about Keith Treacey.

smidge
14-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Jerome Sinclair from Liverpool, they want him to go on loan to a championship club and Burnley have beend via Rodgers
No idea if it is true but he is supposed to be an exciting prospect

beddie
14-05-2015, 03:26 PM
I had read earlier this week that Brendan thought Burnley would be a good place to send him out on loan. He came on for Liverpool at the weekend in the dying seconds of the game.

fatboy47
14-05-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm not getting too excited about future signings.

I'm expecting mediocrity...but then again I'm basing it on the management team's track record on signings since Howe's departure.

Heaton is a decent keeper and Keane has a bit of potential and that's about it really...despite being in the Prem the rest has been a bit crap in the main...if that's all we could attract in the Prem , I'm not sure how we'll attract anyone special in the championship.

We'll achieve something by pure graft if Dyche stays...if he goes we'll be lucky to stay up.

DobsonThomasSteven
14-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Celtic would be willing to swap Kris Commons for Wallace, Juke and Sordell.

They don't want Reid.

Claret_Till_I_Die
14-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Derek Riordan has been released again. Problem solved...

dallasclaret
14-05-2015, 05:52 PM
The James Wilson at Man Utd people have mentioned is out of contract at the end of June...

crossflattsclaret
15-05-2015, 06:35 AM
wells would be a realistic target,another one for the future could be Sam Winall at Barnsley.