PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pietersen

tybfc
12-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Despite his 355 not out for Surrey today and his obvious wish to revive his career as an English test player is it right that Strauss has told Pietersen that he will not face the Aussies this summer?

Has the ECB become a dictatorship overnight?

yesTHATironingboard
12-05-2015, 10:00 PM
i suspect there is more to what pietersen has done in the past that is in the public domain.

Bin_Ont_Turf
12-05-2015, 10:04 PM
'Has the ECB become a dictatorship overnight?'

No but Pietersen keeps getting caught at mid wicket by the Aussie's.

Sussed.

tybfc
12-05-2015, 10:14 PM
David Lloyd has been very vocal today about how Strauss should be 100% totally open as to why he has made the decision.

cloughyclaret
12-05-2015, 10:16 PM
And so he should. And KP should also be prepared to be open and honest too.

mkmel
12-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Didn't Pietersen call Strauss a 'See you next Tuesday' so he's highly unlikely to be on his xmas card list is he?

Bin_Ont_Turf
12-05-2015, 10:21 PM
I think that it was t'other way around Mel.

Although Strauss didn't call him one to him personally, he said he was one when he thought that he was off air.

MDWat
12-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Best batter we have and he isn't in the squad because Strauss won't let it go.

Only one **** here.

mkmel
12-05-2015, 10:25 PM
You're right BOT it was the other way around

enola_gay
12-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Has the ECB become a dictatorship overnight?

Isn't one-man-committee Flower still guiding it all from whatever non-accountable position he's been shunted into ?

All ECB actions are now geared towards the goal of bolstering Alistair Cook as captain. Once you realise that all the recent appointments make a lot more sense.

tybfc
12-05-2015, 10:32 PM
And just to rub a little salt into the wound he offered KP a job as an 'advisory role' for the England 1 day team at their meeting yesterday.

nil_desperandum
12-05-2015, 11:00 PM
"And just to rub a little salt into the wound he offered KP a job as an 'advisory role' for the England 1 day team at their meeting yesterday."

You couldn't script it, could you?
Strauss to Pietersen:
"I don't trust you.
We don't trust you.
They don't trust you.
You are not to be trusted.
So: Can we offer you an advisory role?"

Personally I would have favored bringing him back into the squad, but even if I didn't, the reasoning and the handling brings the ECB into disrepute - once again.

MJT
12-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Badly let down this time by the new Chairman

nutsinmay
13-05-2015, 06:13 AM
I realise that everything is sacrificed on the altar of the great god TV Rights these days, but I'm glad that someone is standing up to KP and his divisive tactics.

KP needs to learn that there is no 'I' in team.

GordonvaleClaret
13-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Maybe Strauss needs to understand that there are 2 "I" in brilliant even though there's only 1 in winner.

1 is also how many runs Strauss got in the second innings Oval 2005. England needed a draw to win back the Ashes after years of nothingness. KP came in at 3/67, wickets fell all around but KP stuck it out, with Giles, to depart for 158 at 8/308, giving the Aussies not enough time to score the required. Without that innings there would have been no Ashes won again.

nil_desperandum
13-05-2015, 08:00 AM
"I realise that everything is sacrificed on the altar of the great god TV Rights these days, but I'm glad that someone is standing up to KP and his divisive tactics.

KP needs to learn that there is no 'I' in team."

So you address this by offering him an advisory role?
Isn't this thread now more about the inept handling of the situation by the ECB?, we already by now have our own opinions on whether KP can bat or not.

CleggHall
13-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Yes the ECB is inept. Yes Pietersen is England's finest batsman for some time. But he briefed against the team to the South African dressing room at Headingley, wrote an appalling autobiography criticising most of his team mates, has played very little 4 or 5 day cricket in the last 2 years, is ageing and unfit. Most Lancashire League players would get runs against Leicestershire's bowlers. Time to move on with Ballance, Bell and Root. Thanks Kev.

ecc
13-05-2015, 09:58 AM
This bloke is unbearable. You can be the best player in the world but if you are a disruptive influence on a regular basis then you can't be in a team.

Cricket analyst Simon Hughes:
"It's too late, there's too much baggage. Pietersen was lucky to get another chance after the text messages to South African players behind Andrew Strauss's back.
"It's like being unfaithful to your wife - you might get away with it once but not twice. His book was his own infidelity, times 50. That compounded what he had already done.
"And look at the facts - in the last 10 Tests he played he averaged 34. His current Test average of 47 is the lowest it has been since 2006 so it's gradually been in decline.
"He's had injuries and I do think he was disengaged in the last Ashes too. He once had the 'X Factor', now he's got the 'I Factor'."

Bobcloth2
13-05-2015, 11:12 AM
He's been a good player but his time is clearly up.
Approaching 35, which was about his average in his last year in test cricket, passenger in the field.
Thanks for the memories Kev but time to move on.

On top of that there isn't actually a slot available at no.4 for England at the moment.

the_quoon
13-05-2015, 11:28 AM
will be interesting to see who takes over the england coaching job given they can't select one of the best players - which, like it or not, pietersen still is.

i'll be quite confident of another australia whitewash this summer, not because pietersen won't be playing, but because the appointment of strauss does nothing to change the malaise of the ECB. he's another yes man in an organisation that needs shaking up from the top down.

no surprise michael vaughan didn't want the job when he found out the 'restrictions' he'd have to work under.

a difficult summer ahead - and the pietersen thing will drag on throughout, don't worry about that.

ClaretTony2014
13-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Pietersen will ensure the thing drags on. He's clearly unpopular in the dressing room, there are England players who don't want him there, but this has been so badly dealt with by the ECB it's ridiculous.

GordonvaleClaret
13-05-2015, 11:53 AM
there are England players who don't want him there

Such as?

the_quoon
13-05-2015, 12:09 PM
pietersen will ensure it drags on but i don't think he'll be the only one.

hopefully the performances of england will be enough put it to make it irrelevant but i'm not confident.

DavetheVicar
13-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Great Leicestershire bowling attack.
Surrey in second innings going for victory are 109-0 after just 8 overs.

Guich
13-05-2015, 04:39 PM
There are a few players still in the dressing room who may well feel uncomfortable with KP, it isn't just Strauss. But Strauss will never shirk a tough decision.

I suspect he'll be acclaimed for it in the not too distant future.

Oddly handled though...'advisory role'?

daveisaclaret
13-05-2015, 04:50 PM
It's all very well pointing out KP's decline in test cricket and that'd be a fine reason not to pick him.

It is not a fine reason to tell someone on the back of a huge innings that they will not be considered for selection no matter what they do. They're saying he could prove himself to be the best player in English cricket and they wouldn't be interested in considering him for the the Ashes. The Aussies will be ****ing themselves.

The ECB is a joke, the appointment of Strauss is a disgrace and it's quite hard to see where the next test series victory is going to come from.

ecc
13-05-2015, 05:57 PM
"there are England players who don't want him there"

"Such as?"

Eh, Cook?

HatfieldClaret
13-05-2015, 06:37 PM
No i in team, but 3 in effing brilliant...

KP is Marmite.

Must be like having Rowls and Hampstead in the same team ;D

nutsinmay
13-05-2015, 06:45 PM
So you address this by offering him an advisory role?

Erm I didn't! ;D

I don't think anyone would doubt KP's ability as a player, but team games can be won and lost off the field.

If he was a tennis player or a golfer with an ego like his, he'd be OK.

Bobcloth2
14-05-2015, 05:42 AM
ECB bizarrely reporting office staff threatened to walk if he was brought back.

To be honest what they think should be pretty low down on the order of priorities.
A little bit of insight into his personality or a PR attempt from the ECB?

IanMcL
14-05-2015, 05:48 PM
People that run these bodies are so weak. One player says boo and the rest cower!