PDA

View Full Version : Summer transfer kitty

goobs
22-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Was scanning through tw!tter and saw a conversation with Chris Boden regarding summer transfer activity and his opinion was that he would expect at least a couple of seven figure incoming transfers during the summer.

Anyone else expecting us to throw a couple of million pound bids in or would you expect a couple of smaller fees / loan deals to bolster what we already have coupled with a battle to hold onto one or two of our higher profile players?

beddie
22-05-2015, 03:30 PM
It may be down who leaves before SD decides,although I would have expected at least two quality signings, probably for decent money as you suggest. Its still a hard league to crack and therefore, a bit more quality won't go a miss. I would also expect a couple of loans.

Iamaclaret
22-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Provided we sell no-one, we will probably be looking at somewhere around 5m.

We 'Spent' around 8m this season, so can't see us breaking that!

M4CCA
22-05-2015, 03:36 PM
The areas/players needed guarantee money will have to be spent.
Goal scorers cost money so if we want goals it will cost us a few quid.
People may laugh but I think our total spend in millions may get into double figures.

ksrclaret
22-05-2015, 03:51 PM
If the only player we lose is Ings then I think we need 4 quality additions to give us the best chance.

Someone to cover right back/ centre-back
First choice, quality central midfielder
Winger with pace
Striker with pace

Hopefully we'll see some really good players arriving who'll actually improve the starting eleven, they don't come cheap but the money is there now.

randomclaret2
22-05-2015, 03:54 PM
This time last year Boden was confidently predicting the clubs transfer record would be broken, perhaps more than once...

Imploding Turtle
22-05-2015, 04:37 PM
By '7 figures' he means to two decimal places.

ClaretTony2014
22-05-2015, 04:49 PM
"If the only player we lose is Ings then I think we need 4 quality additions to give us the best chance.

Someone to cover right back/ centre-back
First choice, quality central midfielder
Winger with pace
Striker with pace"

I'd agree to an extent with the last three but the first one I wouldn't - we've got right back and centre back cover.

taio
22-05-2015, 04:51 PM
He means to two decimal places

What - as in 1,500,000.00, for example?

Imploding Turtle
22-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Here he is, the human anti-joke chicken.

taio
22-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Well funny

thedonz
22-05-2015, 05:03 PM
If this board mean business I fully expect at least 6 million spent on transfer fees players during the close season. Maybe the money that wasn't spent in January.
Any less and it will not be good enough

ksrclaret
22-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Okay fair enough CT, I haven't seen enough of Dummigan and Anderson to judge them but I presume you feel they're ready to step into first team duties if required?

I ask because O'Neill has barely featured in the 3 years he's been here and of course Long will probably be out until the new year. So that would only leave us with Duff as cover.

BlackCountry
22-05-2015, 06:15 PM
I would guess it depends upon who else if any leaves. If the squad stays more or less as now would hope for a pacey striker capable of 20 goals plus. Midfield for certain and maybe a winger who can get behind the opposition defence.

If however we lose any or all of Trippier, Shackell, and Heaton going to be busier rebuild job.

Most important for me is that we see deals being arranged before we kick of the season. That will be the indication of how serious the club is of having a right go at promotion.

thedonz
22-05-2015, 06:57 PM
The thought of losing any if our great defence in unbearable and as all are under contract the club must not allow this. If we cannot convince the players to give it a good go at another promotion in the Championship more's the pity.
Dyche is promoting next season and its not rocket science to know where we need good quality new signings. We have the money required to invest in bouncing straight back.

Qcumber
22-05-2015, 10:09 PM
If we can keep everyone with the exception of the lads that are out of contract (excluding Duff, I expect he will sign a deal if offered).

We should be look at a decent centre midfielder, winger and a couple of strikers.

A few loans from the Premier league would be nice.

dsr
22-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Have FIFA finally managed to kick the "emergency loan" rule into touch, or does it go on as before?

DiBraidio
23-05-2015, 06:06 AM
I think people are forgetting that Barnes, Jukes, Sordell and Vokes were all scoring 1 in 3 or better in the Championship two seasons ago.

Unless one of those four leaves I'd be surprised to see Sean sign a striker.

He may prefer to concentrate on bringing in some creativity in midfield.

herts_clarets
23-05-2015, 06:39 AM
We needed players in the positions listed above this time last year. The only one we got was a centre half and the jury is out on him for me. We stopped leaking goals from corners when Duff was brought back and we are going to face more teams who play with big forwards in the Championship.

I don't have any confidence that we will strengthen sufficiently given our track record.

claretspice
23-05-2015, 09:03 AM
We believe what the club says - and there's no reason not to - then there was somewhere between 6 and 7 million which was there to be invested on transfers in January but which wasn't only because the deals collapsed.

That money is presumably still under someone's mattress and so that's the starting point for estimating our summer budget.

Then there's the couple of million or so we would reasonably expect to invest in the ordinary course following relegation, given that we'll be cash rich again this coming season.

And finally, there's whatever we get for Ings - lets call it 4 million.

Now these are rough maths but it means a budget of between 8 and 10 million is perfectly realistic for this summer.

I agree with those above who say we're looking for a midfielder, winger and striker. We got promoted 12 months ago on the basis of a really solid squad elevated by one player who added the flair and class to take us to the next level. We''ll be looking at the same basic model nex

enola_gay
23-05-2015, 11:26 AM
I think people are forgetting that Barnes, Jukes, Sordell and Vokes were all scoring 1 in 3 or better in the Championship two seasons ago.

Well, Vokes was.

Sordell hasn't been a 1-in-3 striker at Championship level since he was at Watford in 2011/2012. Jutkewiecz reached it in the 12/13 season but not since. Barnes's best return at Championship level is about 1-in-4.

If we're going to do anything next season, we need better.

royboyclaret
23-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Based on the overall expenditure at the club over the last 12 months I'd suggest any transfer funds will be somewhat limited during the summer.

For anyone thinking otherwise best take heed of the noises currently coming out of the club.

claret78
23-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Without Ings we really are devoid of any semblance of pace, skill or trickery. Boyd is probably the best we've got!

I don't actually mind watching grafters but plenty do and I can see if we don't sign anyone and then get off to an indifferent start then it'll be a rod to beat Dyche with just as it was in Spring 2013.

clarethomer07
23-05-2015, 01:38 PM
We still have around 6 million we didn't spend from this season so we should be able to spend a decent amount.

randomclaret2
23-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Royboy is right...anyone who thinks we have a pot of unspent cash burning a hole in the directors pockets which they will now suddenly allow to be spent is in for an unpleasant surprise.
Dyche will, as usual, be shopping in the bargain bin.

thedonz
23-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Royboy , you have been disappointed like many of us this season . What are the noises coming out of the boardroom?

royboyclaret
23-05-2015, 02:57 PM
All quiet, as ever, coming out of the boardroom but believe it was Hoos who stated last week not to expect the levels of player expenditure in the summer that some might be anticipating.

Put it this way, on the one side we have still to receive the final, and largest, stage payment of PL/TV money. So maybe so far 50m received of a final settlement of 63m.

On the other hand, off the top of my head, expenditure in the last 12 months:-

a. 8m...Promotion bonuses and associated costs.

b. All internal loans repaid circa 6m (although an element of that was converted into equity).

c. All external loans repaid by the end of June this year, a further 4m.

d. Ground upgrades to PL standard 4m.

e. Wage bill this season 32m.

f. Multi-million pound project for the redevelopment of Gawthorpe.

g. Fixed rate bondholders from the repurchase of TM and Gawthorpe still to be repaid.

Probably missed something but anyway, someone else can do the maths.

thedonz
23-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks royboy and I know you have a good handle in accounts.
I just hope that you are wrong on this occasion. I guess you hope so as well.

Hoos is history and while he has been part of a successful period I think his departure will lift the mood among many fans.

For the club not to give it a good go at promotion next season after the careful spending in the Premier League would not make sense to me. With Marney out and Ings gone good quality replacements have to be on the agenda.

clarethomer07
23-05-2015, 03:24 PM
So the story of having 2 players pulled at last minute in January were either being funded on thin air or never existed?

Thankfully we won't need to spend a great deal but we were lucky with injuries last time round.

royboyclaret
23-05-2015, 03:29 PM
What you're seeing there is basically the cash-flow situation of the last 12 months. To be fair, even allowing for the additional PL costs, we still ought to report a significant Operating Profit to June'15.

There's matchday and commercial revenues of say 17m which will boost the overall Income to around 80m whilst offsetting 'other costs' such as general overheads and depreciation.

All this should result in our best ever annual profit but then it remains to be seen as to how much the Directors release to Dyche or the new manager for player recruitment. Of course the first year parachute payment of some 24m will arrive a little later.

clarethomer07
23-05-2015, 03:46 PM
So we will have money to spend?

We lost a load of revenue last time on relegation but we have a decent retention of st holders this year I believe.

If one was to choose a certain viewpoint, you could say that we have cash in the bank, the directors have cash in the bank and we have a cash flow for the next few years which will support signings.

I will be really perplexed if someone was to tell me we may have 2m to spend. There should be at least 5-6m there because if those signings had come off we would have been carrying that cost next season anyway?

clareturion
23-05-2015, 03:57 PM
So as the claret's mighty war chest shrinks to the size of a woman's dainty clutch bag, the gullible BFC fans prepare for the usual no stone-unturned transfer-fest at Turf Moor.

royboyclaret
23-05-2015, 04:02 PM
It's difficult to predict clarethomer and very much dependent on whether the Board continue their cautious approach. Not really anything to suggest we'll see a major policy change as regards spending on new players.

Strangely it's not too dissimilar to last summer when, even though we had just been promoted, we were effectively skint. Funding the excessive promotion bonuses before receipt of the first stage PL payment must have proved problematical.

Remember at that time Claretspice suggesting a minimum summer player outlay of 20m and when I suggested a figure of less than half that he was apoplectic (is that the word?), but I think the net spend prior to the season start was around 8.5m.

NJclaret
23-05-2015, 05:40 PM
I would like to see some pace and youth injected into the team, but it never fails to help having someone like Nugent who has that knack of scoring goals.

Players like Jesse Lingaard and Nick Powell would be great loan signings for us with a possible purchase fee at the end like we did with Tripps and Mee.

ewanrob
24-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Is it really so difficult for our Board to negotiate for the bonuses & repayment of outstanding internal loans to be paid on receipt of the 1st mayor payment of the premiership money. It beggars belief that we are probably relying on more directors loans to get us over the initial period prior to the 1st batch of PL money. 8 million in bonuses...really, just trying breaking that down...ludicrous !

Akinbadbye_20
24-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Dont forget theres also going to be about 4 million coming in for Ings, along with wages saved on him, Reid and Wallace.
Wouldn't surprise me if one of Sordell or Juke is sold as well. 7 or 8 million for transfer fees I would think

Bin_Ont_Turf
24-05-2015, 12:08 PM
There'll be decent money to spend.

When it is spent folk like Clareturion and the like will moan about what it is spent on.

Round and round we go.

Quattro
24-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Surely, the board should be decent enough to give SD the January money, rumoured to be 6m and the Ings money, anticipated to be 10m - this should be a decent amount to buy the three players we desperately need to launch an assault on the Championship next season.

Further to this, if any business is to be done, get it done early so that the players can get the maximum lemyth of pre-season under their belts together.

If we get any more, then this would be a bonus.

Imploding Turtle
24-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Transfer kitty is boring, so here's a kitty transfer.

http://i.imgur.com/gR7ToxH.jpg