PDA

View Full Version : Alan Woodward RIP

ClaretTony2014
23-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Just read that former Sheffield United winger Alan Woodward has passed away at 68.

Damn good player who was ridiculously sent off at the Turf by idiot referee Kevin McNally in 1978.

Part of the Sheff United team alongside such as Tony Currie, Billy Dearden and John Tudor that won promotion in 1971, taking our place in the first division.

todclaret
23-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Alan Woodward is player I remember from childhood days watching the Clarets & MOTD. RIP.

I also remember McNally. Think he sent 2 Cambridge players off in one game on the Turf. Think we'd not won all season and beat them 5-3 for our first win.
McNally booked five players all at once as a Cambridge wall didn't back off far enough for his liking. One of them had already been booked, so off he went. It may have Alan Biley...

McNally's next visit to the Turf came soon afterwards for a reserve or youth team game, where the Bob Lord stand gave him a standing ovation.

billyhamilton82
23-05-2015, 05:46 PM
RIP Alan.

"Damn good player who was ridiculously sent off at the Turf by idiot referee Kevin McNally in 1978."

I think I remember that incident. Did he have greying hair as that made him stand out and look a lot older?

As a child on the Bee Hole End I remember him (If it was him) totally losing it with the referee on the edge of penalty area at the Bee Hole end as he went off the pitch.

It was quite shocking as he looked a bit like my Grandad (from a distance) and never seen an adult get so upset before. He was absolutely fuming.

After all that it could be someone totally different I was only about 6.

Clarets4me
23-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Tricky winger from what I remember...

Wavy hair, Sideburns, and was he one of the first players in white boots ?? ( Edit: Wrong, I'm thinking of Alan Hinton of Derby County )

RIP...

ClaretTony2014
23-05-2015, 08:32 PM
"McNally's next visit to the Turf came soon afterwards for a reserve or youth team game, where the Bob Lord stand gave him a standing ovation."

That's spot on and billyhamilton82, you've got it right with your memory of the sending off. McNally actually chased him up the pitch hiding his red card behind his back.

McNally sent two off that day and two off in the cup tie v Stoke in 1979/80. The ref for the Cambridge game I don't think was McNally. Just looked at the programme and it says Peter Reeves.

McNally was the first referee ever to send off three players from one team in a Football League match.

cricketfield72
23-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Very cool and cultured player Alan Woodward.
Certainly was very distinctive with his silver hair, the photo is as I'll always remember him.

http://i61.tinypic.com/33f9wcp.jpg

billyhamilton82
23-05-2015, 09:10 PM
"McNally sent two off that day and two off in the cup tie v Stoke in 1979/80. "

Was one of those Denis Smith?

Again I remember someone at the Bee Hole End going mental and totally losing it.

Did he concede a penalty at Bee Hole end for us to win 1-0 late on?

Strange I've never really thought about these incidents until today and I related the two together as again virtually the same experience for me watching an adult going ballistic but this time I was in Cricket Field Stand.

But this time I remember my uncle saying "He's bl00dy mental" so maybe Smith (If it was him) deserved it?

notnowbernard
23-05-2015, 10:38 PM
"...was ridiculously sent off at the Turf by idiot referee..." etc etc

In terms of his behaviour during that game & his red faced aggressive (like very aggressive) bawling out of the ref every time a decision went against them his sending off was anything but ridiculous more a matter of time. I guess a measure of his competitive nature. RIP Mr Woodward.

beeholeclaret2
24-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Agree with above sentiments and RIP Alan Woodward. Certainly one of my favourite players from "other" teams. Seem to remember he had a powerful right foot shot similar to Peter Lorimer and Frank Casper in that he "hit through the ball". Seem to remember him striking the ball cleanly and it wobbling a bit in the air as it travelled goalwards? . Cant remember the sending off incident though?

Kevin McNally was a complete maniac as a referee (look at me - look at me kind of ref!).

Quicknick
24-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Woodward was a very good player, but my favourite non-Burnley player was in the same team: Tony Currie.

pstotto
24-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Will never forget the sending off, when being sent off actually meant something, us winning 4-1.

A friend who was a Sheff U fan at the match, took a long time to make friends with me and was still a hater of Burnley even years later.

notnowbernard
24-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Re Tony Currie, MOTD one of Motson's finest moments.. "A quality goal by a quality player".. Winner v WHU, can't get it to link but check it out on YouTube

jrtod61
24-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Your memory of AW's right foot technique is spot-on beeholeclaret2. My memory is that he used it to great effect taking howitzer-like corners from either wing, the best I have seen to this day. When centre-half Eddie Colquhoun came forward and nodded one in, it would certainly have stung a bit.
RIP Alan, a respected opponent.

ecc
24-05-2015, 11:41 AM
(Virtually) always sad when a player from your youth (or indeed older years) passes away. I only saw him play on TV but he was the epitomy of players who were good but didn't get an England cap. How times have changed.

RIP

hampsteadclaret
24-05-2015, 12:42 PM
post 12

This is the goal that Motson liked [well everyone liked it] - Tony Currie scores 2 in this match, and Alan Woodward with the very grey hair gets one as well.

Currie was very much in the Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Peter Osgood mould...dribblers and entertainers.

I think the link should be ok. - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEsgDPu7xc8)

Quicknick
25-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks, hampstead. What a brilliant goal by TC.