PDA

View Full Version : So close

oldcolner
24-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Well done today.
If only we beat Sunderland away the six point change would have kept us up.
Lots of other ifs too.

BennyD
24-05-2015, 04:07 PM
I know I'll take a bit of flak for saying this but, in the end, it was a bit of bad luck that went against us. Two missed penalties and a couple of bad decisions were the 'fine margins' that SD mentioned. We were a bit short of quality, rarely outclassed but not not out of our depth.

taio
24-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Every side in the football league will be able to point to games where they should have picked up more points and/or got dodgy decisions by the ref. Although we were crap at Sunderland.

It was always going to be exceptionally tough to stay in this league and, at then end of the day, the league table says we deserve to go down. Despite a tremendous effort by Dyche and the players.

fatboy47
24-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Nonsensical stuff.

All we've done is prove we can win games when it no longer matters.

Winning games when it mattered was sadly beyond us.

Quattro
24-05-2015, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't say that it was "so close" over the course of the season, but most certainly, it is the "fine margins" which have cost us.

This was going to be a tough league and we all knew that, but as I sit here, typing this in Ibiza, amongst fans from clubs across England, we have competed against the big boys and we have done it with fighting spirit, but we were simply unlucky in a couple of the games.

The last three games, where we appeared to have found some form once again, needs to be worked on and carried forward into next season - we should not be negative at our relegation, but instead positive about the challenge that lies ahead next season.

BennyD
24-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Nonsensical stuff.
All we've done is prove we can win games when it no longer matters.
Winning games when it mattered was sadly beyond us.

I bet you pulled the wings off flies when you were a kid.

bfcmik
24-05-2015, 04:29 PM
As far from safety as we were last time in the end. 6 points short of what was needed!

As has been said, we were always competitive and almost there (except for WBA away) but in reality we were never quite good enough. I am not blaming that on the transfer policy, though it could have been better, as I can point to other 2 relegated clubs and say look what spending millions did for them. I can recognise and understand that, as well as being affordable, players had to be totally prepared to buy into SD's style of play with it's 100% commitment to the cause and fairly rigid formations and demands for maximum workrate.

fatboy47
24-05-2015, 04:31 PM
""I bet you pulled the wings off flies when you were a kid. ""

Nah...just got taught to live in the real world.

silkyskills1
24-05-2015, 04:36 PM
'Winning games when it mattered was sadly beyond us'

Very true but perhaps just one more victory might have been enough. The bottom three go down and we are one of them but to listen to you sometimes you'd think we had been completely outplayed and outclassed throughout the whole season which just isn't the case.:?

enola_gay
24-05-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm not buying this competitive stuff. There are two sides to a scoreline; can you really be said to be competing if you only look like you can affect one of them ?

More points than 09/10 but fewer wins, a position lower and way fewer goals scored. But hey, we didn't get mullered away from home as often. Woo-hoo.

Maybe next time we'll give ourselves a chance of avoiding the patronising "ooh, unlucky, gave it a go" guff as we get patted on the head and ushered back down to the Championship. Seeing as it'll seemingly take a complete sea-change in attitude off-the-pitch though I won't hold my breath.

oldcolner
24-05-2015, 04:53 PM
I agree we rarely got lucky and were rarely gifted a goal.
We should have had more penalties, ( and scored more)
we often met teams after they got a boost of a new manager or we star player. We should have beaten Newcastle and Chelsea away ( well had a chance to)
West brom cheated us with Dawsons rugby tackle for their equaliser.
Oh well I'd better take a tablet

taio
24-05-2015, 04:55 PM
I don't really get this unlucky viewpoint either. For example, missing penalties isn't being unlucky - it's wasting brilliant opportunities to get more points. Poor referring decisions aren't just exclusively saved for us - we see them throughout football.

I give enormous credit to Dyche and the players. Dyche is an excellent manager for our club and has done an very good job with the resources at his disposal. I'm confident we can mount a serious promotion challenge next season if he's here and we can keep our key players and bring in a few more.

thedonz
24-05-2015, 04:56 PM
We were much more competitive this time around and are going to regroup with a better manager and team. Sam was a big miss and while lack of cover for Marney was significant there is every reason to be positive about next season.
Finishing so strongly is a big statement and to think any different strikes me as an entrenched negative mindset rather than the realism certain posters propose.

BennyD
24-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Nah...just got taught to live in the real world.

In your company, those long winter evenings must just fly by.

thedonz
24-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Benny - winter is over , long live the clarets :D

enola_gay
24-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Finishing so strongly is a big statement and to think any different strikes me as an entrenched negative mindset rather than the realism certain posters propose.

Or alternatively, winning a dead rubber at the end of the season will likely prove to be irrelevant after a close season given the changes that may take place over the summer and the reality of being in a new Division, and thinking any different is an exercise in wishful thinking ?

clareturion
24-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Finishing so strongly is a big statement

Unfortunately not as big as failing overall though.

AuntSally
24-05-2015, 05:29 PM
On the flip side we picked up points against the likes of Man City, where 9 times out of 10 we wouldn't have come away with any. We've picked up some points when we had some luck and we missed out on some draws/wins when it went against us.

thedonz
24-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Enola, or may I call you the 'Nearly Man'.

You are consistently hitting the post , do you not realise we beat Hull away without knowing we were down.

What you need to think about is how mindset plays a big part in things. We won today because Dyche has instilled that mindset in the team not because it was a dead rubber. Are you listening centurion ?

clareturion
24-05-2015, 05:47 PM
I'm listening Donz..shaking my head at the same time...but listening.

Today's win does say a lot about how Dyche instills a thirst for winning despite obvious disappointment, but it says nothing about not being good enough to compete well enough over 38 games or without 2 top class saves from Heaton and another " backs against the wall " performance we could have lost this one too.

If you want a "BIG" statement ...come August we're likely to be as good as Preston...how "BIG" is that ?

taio
24-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Crikey, it's one extreme to the other. We've either been really unlucky and fully deserved to stay-up, or everything is doom and gloom - both those opinions are over the top and the reasonable view is somewhere in between.

thedonz
24-05-2015, 05:59 PM
We may be in the same league as Preston in the same way as Chelsea are in the same league as Sunderland

clareturion
24-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Well let's hope so donz

Wembley09
24-05-2015, 06:03 PM
The West Brom home game still stands out to me.
If we hadn't thrown away that 2 goal lead that day, I think things would have been different.

Obviously though, the Leicester defeat was the straw that broke the camels back.

mdd2
24-05-2015, 06:07 PM
If only the season had started at game 11; 29 points from 28 games- premier league survival form

claretnick
24-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Some of the guys who post on here, probably me included, would not last 2 minutes in Sean Dyche's company.I was on my Saturday walk around Gawthorpe and watched some of the final training session and by golly you would not think we were playing a dead rubber. The work being done was intense and hard but what stood out was the enthusiasm of the players.
I think we go into next season in a better of frame of mind than the last relegation, let's just see what the summer brings.

Patey
24-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Same five points as last time. A win at West Ham, would have sent them down in 09/10.

jordan12rhodes
24-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Midtable finish :)

Steve_Harpers_Perm
24-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Add the Palace game to the West Brom one where we let a 2 goal lead sit.

Much more competitive than last time we were in this league but like last time so many missed chances at key points in games.

bfcjon
24-05-2015, 10:02 PM
**** Happens,..Yes the Missed Pens,...could have kept us up,..

But One thing,...We are going to be One hell of a force next season,...QPR/ HULL Down...

We Have no team to fear...Been there and done it with these teams,.

Just hope the Board can back Sean up!!

realbarrowfordclaret
24-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Close but no cigar
;D

oldcolner
24-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Patey
A home win against Wigan would have sent them down too!

Claret_Russ
24-05-2015, 10:48 PM
So close to staying up, but very definitely one of the weakest 3 teams in the division and so deserved to go down. We rarely dipped below our best and that quality (and it is a valuable quality that Dyche & the players should be very proud of) almost got us over the line. Other teams that just beat the drop had far more quality in their squads than we do (Villa, Newcastle) and although they lacked the ability to consistently perform to their best that quality just about saw them through when it mattered.

I don't think there's a hard luck story here - we were rightly relegated but hopefully we go down with a better chance of bouncing back than we did last time in that we have a younger, more motivated squad and a manager that they will all run through brick walls for rather than one they can't even be arsed to hang around until the end of games / stay fit / refrain from smoking in the ground for.

superstevedavis
24-05-2015, 11:51 PM
My opinion lies somewhere in between. Effort nearly got us over the line. Yet we weren't good enough. You could look to the loss against Sunderland, you could look at the Palace and West Brom games. x2 2-0 leads was the closest we got to staying up. I knew the five points dropped in those two games were the difference between defying the odds and and relegation.

You could say that was unlucky, you could equally say that if you cant take all 6pts from those positions you don't deserve to stay up.

What I do take from this season, is we have a fantastic manager, a solid team and foundation and are in potentially the best position to go back up I've ever seen.

Well done Sean and the lads. More of the same next season please.

jordan12rhodes
25-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Aidy boothroyd. Phil brown. Ian Holloway. Etc etc.

Cherry Picker
25-05-2015, 09:15 AM
"We were much more competitive this time around"

We were far better and competitive last time up until Coyle walked out and then we were **** under Laws

Big positive this time is we will hopefully still have a top class manager trying to take us back up and not that useless idiot we had last time

oldcolner
25-05-2015, 11:13 AM
CP
Have you ever started a new job and been told your management and support team have all left and you must assess your staff and buy on a limited budget to make improvements in two weeks .. that ensure targets are met in 4 months. To quote Duff and your teams hearts just been ripped out. Oh and the fans and senior players are against you.
Brian was a loyal servant of the club and did his best to help under impossible conditions when no one else would touch us.
He may not be the best manager, but he did as well as Eddie in the Championship and where is he now??
Give the guy a break. Did you ever see him play for us?? Lets at least remember him for that

Cherry Picker
25-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Dont blame Laws at all for the relegation but after 6 months at the club he got to keep all the players he wanted bar Fletcher (including two he signed in January) and sign 4 new players on decent Championship wages. My issue is he completely messed up our best chance to bounce back

With regards to your point about Howe unfortunately Eddie had to make do with the crap left to him. Had Howe picked up the team when Laws did and was allowed to make 6 big signings im certain had we still gone down we would have made a lot better fist of coming straight back up