PDA

View Full Version : Camera help/advice please .

lotty1
13-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Never been into photography but since moving back to the UK to an area of stunning scenery and wildlife it's suddenly become an interest .

Can anyone give me advice on which cameras are best for wildlife and scenery particularly coastal areas . I know nothing about photography .
Don't want anything too complicated and want to spend around £200 . Any help/advice would be appreciated .

neild100
13-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Wildlife - more often than not you need a telephoto (long) lens, landscapes you often need a wide angle lens.
You could buy a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ57 which has a wide to telephoto zoom range - put it on automatic and you'll get decent results over a broad range of subjects.
It's small and simple to use

Morgan
13-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Before you get baffled by bull from the techies on here, if, as you say, you're completely new to photography, there's no need to spend anywhere near £200. Argos have a Canon Ixus 145 point and shoot 16 megapixel on sale for £49.99. You'll probably need a memory card to go with it (about £8 - if you haven't already got one somewhere)
You can snap away happily all day/week/month trying all the different settings and functions, see what results you get and then, when you feel you've got the hang of it, you can think about moving upmarket.

lotty1
13-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks Neild100 and Morgan .
Being a complete novice it's the distance that worries me . How far from the subject do you have to be particularly with the one you've suggested Morgan . Possibly a stupid question .

Morgan
13-07-2015, 12:11 PM
That camera has an 8 times optical zoom on it which is pretty standard these days. Google Canon Ixus 145 and read the reviews. You can get VERY good pictures with these types of camera.
The shots from Italy I posted on the "Summer pictures" thread were taken with a Samsung ST72 which I got from Asda Direct for £30. On my laptop I can blow them up as much as I want.
It's like most things: try it at base level and see how you get on - if you really get into it, spend some more on more fancy stuff.
One of the great joys of a small camera is they fit in your pocket and you're not lugging loads of heavy gear around your neck when you're sweating in 35C heat. If you get serious you can spend £xxxxxx ...

lotty1
13-07-2015, 12:29 PM
I'll do that Morgan - many thanks - much appreciated advice .

Alp12Mac
13-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Lotty, I'm a relative novice mate and didn't want to get too close to my subjects as Kenya was my first real venture into photography!

There are quite a few 'Bridge' cameras on Amazon with very good specs for under £200, it's worth having a look if only to compare specifications. You can find the same elsewhere cheaper no doubt but it is a good browsing tool.

With Bridge cameras you do not have to be particularly close as they generally have really good zoom function and are stabilised as well. You still need to frame the subject and keep as steady as you can but they really do most of the 'work' for you and produce pleasing results.

I would say try and get as much as you can for your budget because you will definitely find yourself wanting more and more 'reach' once you start getting into wildlife.

It's addictive once you get going and some of our esteemed photographers certainly inspire me to try and improve. Happy snapping and show us some pics!

minniemouth
13-07-2015, 12:35 PM
I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago. As usual the guys were great.
I've linked my thread below. Some of the links they'd put up were outstanding.
The camera I first saw was a Nikon coolpix L840 has a times 34 zoom.
I've ended up with a Sony DSC-H400 has more settings than I could ever learn and a times 63 zoom(tripod required) - view external link (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2109950555#mGJSOzL0u1tjMiSS.97)

lotty1
13-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks Alp12Mac - again much appreciated . I'll look at every option .

lotty1
13-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks minniemouth .

ClaretTony2014
13-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Can't offer any advice but can I just say that this sort of thread is Clarets Mad at its best, when posters are ready to offer advice to help others.

lotty1
13-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Yes I would agree with that CT .

Alp12Mac
13-07-2015, 12:53 PM
With you two agreeing it must be true XD

lotty1
13-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Aye it is a bit unusual to say the least .:O ;)

ClaretKent
13-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Hi Lotty, the best advice I can give you is to ensure that you get a sturdy tripod with your camera. Plenty of second hand ones around. This will allow you to use the full range of aperture/shutter combinations, allow you to wait comfortably for the wildlife shots and keep your landscape shots pin sharp. Good luck.

UTC

lotty1
13-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks ClaretKent - never thought about that to be honest .

aggi
13-07-2015, 04:04 PM
On a similar camera advice note, can anyone recommend a cheap, waterproof camera?

Would like something sub £100 (preferably quite a bit under) but all of the current crop seem to come with GPS and whatnot which pushes the price up whereas I'm just looking for something basic.

Am happy to look at secondhand. Cheers

MJT
13-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Will this mean you will be back at the Turf Lotty.

Thought you where happy retired in France.

dallasclaret
13-07-2015, 04:33 PM
There are plenty of good websites for reviews but it's worth checking 'dpreview' as they let you download full size images taken from various cameras to see the quality (or lack thereof)

You get what you pay for with technology no doubt.

steve_f
13-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Another vote for the panasonic lumix, I have a two year old model, the TZ40, you can pick one up now for less than 200, the new ones are nearer £300. You can connect to it with blue tooth so you can hide round the corner with your iphone/pad, and snap away without being seen by the wildlife. 20x optical zoom is excellent.

lotty1
13-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Hi MTJ - Yes I'll be abck at Turf Moor although not for every game because of the travel - around 2 hours each way .
I was happily retired in France but was diagnosed with throat cancer 6 months after moving their and as time moved on I felt the need to return to the UK to be nearer family and friends . Cancer certainly focuses the mind .

Thanks for your comments Steve_f

MJT
13-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Lotty, following you on here over the years, you have been certainly been through the wars!

My late parents at one time were interested in moving to France, so I was just interested in your reasoning for coming back as you seemed to be enjoying it.

lotty1
13-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Yes - triple bypass , a stroke and then cancer so it's been a tough time but you've simply got to make the best of it .

I don't think we'd have returned for another 3/4 years had I not been ill to be honest . To be fair a lot of our friends over the years moved further south or back to the UK so I suppose that was also a factor but we've settled back and are living in Cumbria which is a lovely part of the country .
We're in Haverigg in the West Lakes ; a quiet area which is what we needed .

MJT
13-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the update, sounds good in Haverigg.

BlackCountry
13-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Canon Ixus good but maybe too limited if you get the a serious camera fetish.

I use a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 which is a few years old now but there are updated versions with Wifi all having the excellent Leica lens.

If you really get the bug splash out on a digital SLR which are more adaptable. I also use a Canon D600 although cheaper versions that do basically the same job are available.

mkmel
13-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Hope you have your health issues under control Ray & enjoying life in Haverigg

Haven't been up to the Lakes for many a year but it is certainly a beautiful part of our country.

I too am looking to get more into photography & after doing a fair bit of research I went out a few days back & bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200.

It has very good reviews but is however over your preferred budget and when taking off the £30 cashback it sells for £279 from John Lewis which is where I purchased it from & comes with a 2 year guarantee

Good luck in finding the right camera & enjoy your new hobby :D

See link - view external link (http://www.pickmycamera.net/best-bridge-camera/)

lotty1
13-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks Mel , I'll have a look .
Health wise everything seems ok other than several side effects .

ablueclaret
13-07-2015, 07:08 PM
With your wealth Lotty you could run down to John Lewis and get a canon 100 D and two lenses for £400 which would satisfy all your needs for years to come.
Is it the small town mentality that's holding you back !