PDA

View Full Version : For those who know France...

alanstevensonsgloves
14-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Off on a self drive camping trip to France in August and was wondering if anyone knew of any picturesque, interesting places to stop off en-route?

Will be getting the ferry from Dunkerque to (02290) Berny and vv.

Mrs ASG would also like to know if there are any good places to stock up on food and booze on the way back too! She thinks I've dropped one in this respect by not booking Calais!

HollandsPies
14-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Don't know where Berny is.

Calais Wine Store is good for cheap wine from around the world. Not just French.

There is a huge Auchan in St. Omer. It's massive, and perfect for french deli stuff, food and cheese. Oh, and beer and vin.

Both are easy to get to on your way back to Dunkirk.

HP - view external link (http://www.calaiswine.co.uk/ourstore/about-us-our-store/)

winsomeyen
14-07-2015, 04:39 PM
There are two towns called Berny,which department is the one you are going to?
Think your wife is right about Calais.

stevie2112
14-07-2015, 04:42 PM
La Croix Du Vieux Pont?

nil_desperandum
14-07-2015, 05:04 PM
As you are coming via Dunkerque, you could slip over the border into Belgium, without going much out of the way - and have a look at Ypres and the surrounding villages - but only of course if you have some interest in WW1.
On a similar theme you will pass through the Somme region if you go pretty much as the crow flies.
(Albert / Arras etc.)
War cemeteries aren't everyone's idea of a holiday though.

alanstevensonsgloves
14-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Hi stevie2112 that's the one. You know it?

It's located just north of Paris. Maybe the department is 'riviere' as that's part of the address includes that. Postcode I have put above.

Claret_Till_I_Die
14-07-2015, 05:51 PM
We're having a week near Carrouges in Normandy & a week in St Nicolas Des Eaux in Brittany. Any similar tips for those areas ? We're already planned for the D Day area near Caen the first week.

TIA

ecc
14-07-2015, 06:15 PM
It's in the Department of Aisne. There's a fair amount to do up there (I live south of Paris).

Could you let me know what sort of things you're into? Do you need to keep kids happy etc.

I'll put a link in for the D-Day Museum in Caen in the box below. I believe it's very good. - view external link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berny-Rivi%C3%A8re)

ecc
14-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Link for Caen Museum. - view external link (http://normandy.memorial-caen.com/the-museum)

winsomeyen
14-07-2015, 06:52 PM
CTID, The beaches at Carnac and Quiberon and surrounding areas are second to none.
Maybe you would fancy a day at the world war two submarine pens at Lorient.
Pontivy worth seeing as is Josselin but be careful you dont bump into HMHB :D
As I live in Brittany I dont know anything about Carrouges.
If you post which port you are using I will try to help with food and drink plus dont forget to top your fuel tank up, diesel 1 17 euro per litre today.

nil_desperandum
14-07-2015, 07:06 PM
"plus dont forget to top your fuel tank up, diesel 1 17 euro per litre today."
So you mean fill up in France then because that's a big saving.

Claret_Till_I_Die
14-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info ecc & winsomeyen.

We're travelling along with my brothers family which consists of 2 girls aged 5 & 10 and my 14 year old son. We will also have 2 dogs with us.
Any mix of entertainment will be handy to know, we've drawn up a draught itinerary but are happy to bow to any local knowledge..
Some of the places you've already mentioned appear to be well worth a visit.

Thanks again and sorry for highjacking the OP's thread

HollandsPies
14-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Concarneau is a good day out for all the family.
All the beaches along that coastline are bang on - golden sand or rocks with rock pools etc. We've spent many a summer break in a place called Trevignon.
There'll be loads to do inland. Just visit the local tourist office.

winsomeyen
14-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Diesel at our local supermarket was 1,17 euro which is 86 pence per litre at todays exchange rate.

bfcmik
14-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Compiegne is good for a visit and has the rail car that the Germans surrendered at the end of WW1 and Hitler used to accept France's surrender in 1940.

The Chateau at Chantilly is wonderful and has loads of crepe stalls selling a local variety of crepe and many, many lace makers and outlets.

Also, try to get to Versailles - magnificent in the usual (totally overblown) French style.

You will find you are a fair distance from the sea and it would be a long day trip to visit even the closest beaches. Try to spend some time relaxing and enjoying the French cafe lifestyle

claretbucky1978
14-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Off to la croix du pont or however you spell it on Sunday.

Amazing place

1968claret
14-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Another vote for Chantilly and Versailles. Visited last week. Chantilly is great and much quieter than Versailles. We just visited the gardens at Versailles as queue for the palace was over 1 hours. We spent 4 hours in the gardens, unbelievable place.
Also recommend visiting the WW1 sites, incredibly moving. We visited Albert as great grandfather was buried there. The Somme museum is well worth a visit as is Beaumont Chapelle. The trenches and craters have all been preserved here, very humbling to walk through.
In Albert, Chantilly etc. the small towns are well worth exploring, with lovely cafe bars, everywhere. We loved it, also enjoyed a few days in Paris.
We will definitely be visiting again. Enjoy your trip.

nil_desperandum
14-07-2015, 10:51 PM
"Compiegne is good for a visit and has the rail car that the Germans surrendered at the end of WW1 and Hitler used to accept France's surrender in 1940"

Not actually true. Compiegne is worth visiting, but the actual rail car from Nov. 1918 was taken away by the SS, (on Hitler's orders), after the 1940 surrender was signed, and blown up.
The current rail carriage is a modern copy, so in that sense it has no history.

ecc
15-07-2015, 11:22 AM
CTID: no problem!

I haven't been to Concarneau but I've heard lots of very positive things about it.

Never been to Chantilly either but I would like to. It's got a lot going for it: the chateau itself is considered to be one of France's most outstanding. It's home to the Conde Museum. If you're into art, it's the second largest collection of paintings (up to the mid-1850s) in France after the Louvre.

There's also the Great Stables, the largest in Europe with a museum and horse shows.

For the kids, there's the Asterix Park not too far away. It's an attraction park with loads of rides. Not my sort of thing but my wife and kids have often been (they went a few weeks back)and love it. However, be warned: like the Disney thing you will have to queue a long time in this period. - view external link (http://www.domainedechantilly.com/en/accueil/great-stables/)

minniemouth
15-07-2015, 11:39 AM
ASG. Reims is the centre of the Champagne region. Disneyland??????

CTID. As mentioned Concarneau, Carnac and Quiberon. Also Auray, has a medieval port,St. Gustain, great for photographers and food. Vannes is worth a day;bit of something for everybody.
All have good write ups on Wiki.

ecc
15-07-2015, 12:17 PM
minniemouth: EuroDisney is now called Disneyland Paris. I was comparing it to the Asterix Parc in terms of the huge queues. I wasn't referring to it's geographical location. Personally, I wouldn't set foot in the place given the way they "treat" their staff.

minniemouth
15-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Twas nowt personal, ecc. My question marks were because I didn't know if it was suitable for ASGS group.

stevie2112
15-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Just logged back in today to see the thread and questions well answered!!

ecc
15-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi minniemouth,

No offence taken but fair play to you for what you wrote.

TBH, I got confused because there were two Clarets asking about info (no problem whatsoever with that, if we can help each other out on here so much the better)and I think I mixed up what the two lads were looking for.

I'm sure they'll find loads to do be it in Brittany or Picardy.

Cheers,

ecc

alanstevensonsgloves
15-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi All,

thanks for your replies. This is the route I'll be taking - prob the one avoiding Calais on the way there and via Calais for booze on the way back.

Stevie - have you stayed at that campsite?

We are looking for nice villages to stop off at to stretch our legs and have lunch and a stroll. The more medieval the better.

EDIT: for those of you without *******er, my destination is under the ad!

http://i59.tinypic.com/fd5xk7.jpg

chobulous
15-07-2015, 02:05 PM
I feel I must warn you that there is a strong possibility that the place will be full of Frenchmen.

pearcey
15-07-2015, 02:40 PM
I would say stop at Arras as it is on the way to where you're going. Nice place and it's close to the Somme if you find WW1 interesting. Plenty of shops to stock up as well.

stevie2112
15-07-2015, 04:29 PM
No CTID,we decided to stay at Carnac purely for the beach.It did look a lovely camp though,but they all do really.

alanstevensonsgloves
15-07-2015, 09:27 PM
"I feel I must warn you that there is a strong possibility that the place will be full of Frenchmen"

I have a grumpy French boss so that's the least of my worries.

Wearing lycra skimpy shorts on the other hand...:/

That's the last time I type 'small lycra shorts' into eBay! :blue: :blue: :blue:

Claretbucky hope you have a great time. Top tips welcome as I go in Aug. Is a bike necessary?

ecc
16-07-2015, 12:26 PM
All French people are born with a high "grumpy quotient". Complaining is their national sport.