PDA

View Full Version : Their goal. Naivety.

nil_desperandum
12-09-2015, 06:34 PM
First, Keane was naive. He should have ensured that he went down on the pitch thus ensuring that he was treated on the pitch. There would have been no pressure on our medical team to hurry treating him since it was a head injury.
Second. Once he was off the field and they started to lump it forward, it would have been very useful for another player to go down and take time out of the game.
Yes I know its cynical, but it's what other teams do to us. I'm afraid our integrity could have cost us again.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Their centre forward scratched his face then scored when Keano was off having "blood treatment". Get over yourself!

JakubsTash
12-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Agree entirely with this. Gamesmanship but needs must.

taio
12-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Keane would have still had to leave the pitch. He had to change his shirt.

the_quoon
12-09-2015, 06:38 PM
the referee wouldn't have let keane be treated on the pitch.

it wasn't a head injury in the sense that the referee would have stopped the game (despite the cut being on his head), indeed keane didn't even know he had a cut until he was told.

a stupid rule that shouldn't exist but the exploited it well. i don't think there was anything naive about it although it would have been better if duff had just gone and followed nuhiu everywhere rather than mee take him.

JakubsTash
12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
So another player should have gone down with a 'strain' or head 'injury'. Thus getting the game stopped and time for Keane to change his shirt and return to the play.

nil_desperandum
12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
"Keane would have still had to leave the pitch. He had to change his shirt."
Yes but might only have been off for a matter of seconds.
I have a feeling that we might become more "professional" / savvy with Barton on the pitch!!

stevie_thunder
12-09-2015, 06:54 PM
In terms of niaivety, I think Heaton was most culpable. After a Wednesday attack when it was 10 v 11 he caught a cross and then just punted it aimlessly downfield. The ball came straight back and theu scored.

As captain, Heaton really should have taken the sting out of the game.

silkyskills1
13-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Goalkeeper blunder as he kicks the ball upfield!
Work to be done in training to cut that out of his game.
OP by the way is spot on.

Leisure
13-09-2015, 10:00 AM
But with another going down to get treatment we would have ended up with 2 players off the pitch at the same time! Not sure just how that would help!

Akinbadbye_20
13-09-2015, 10:38 AM
It looked to me like there was confusion about who should have dropped on to the right hand side, with everyone shuffling round to cover for Keane. We still had 2 strikers standing upfront and no one covering that side.

Vokes or Gray should surely have been dropping in there, just a total lack of communication

Natural_Born_Klaret
13-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Leisure (Post 10) has it right. More players going down feigning injury would mean more off the pitch waiting to come back on & less on the pitch to defend

Heaton could have thrown to a man & we could have tried keeping possession till Keane back on. Nuhiu was a handful. We doubled up on him a lot because how easy he outjumped Mee to head home showed that along with his own 'gamesmanship' (tugging shirts, holding his marker to prevent them jumping etc) meant we had to do the same to him but not too blatantly. Two going with him - one to block his runs/jumps, one to compete aerially - was more effective. He was their main outlet so both Duff & Keane combined to halt him

Was Heaton's punt upfield the time when they had left 3 or 4 back meaning Vokes or Gray could've stayed upfield? Anyone recall that?

We had all 11 back yet they had a free kick midway into our half on their left. Bannan took it but we outnumbered them easily in our box. We were howling at our forwards to stay u

Natural_Born_Klaret
13-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Akinbadbye I'm not sure we'd left anyone upfield hence Heaton's kick being easy for them to control & move into our half

nil_desperandum
13-09-2015, 11:35 AM
"But with another going down to get treatment we would have ended up with 2 players off the pitch at the same time! Not sure just how that would help!"
Except Keane would have been allowed immediately back on

keith1879
13-09-2015, 12:00 PM
I understand the point being made but it seems to me that under Dyche in this division at least we have shown a very positive ability to deal with problems and win games. If we started with this sort of gamesmanship can we be sure that it wouldn't affect other aspects of our game?

ClaretTony2014
13-09-2015, 12:02 PM
"First, Keane was naive. He should have ensured that he went down on the pitch thus ensuring that he was treated on the pitch."

I'm assuming you are not aware of the rules. He has to go off because of blood on his shirt. No option whether he receives treatment on the pitch or not.

Caernarfon_Claret
13-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Ever heard of a nativity goal? - an immaculate conversion.

nil_desperandum
13-09-2015, 02:38 PM
"I'm assuming you are not aware of the rules. He has to go off because of blood on his shirt. No option whether he receives treatment on the pitch or not."
And it would have taken precisely how long to put a new top on? 15 seconds? Referees are generally pretty sympathetic to head injuries so he would have waved him back on very promptly.

IanMcL
13-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Lots of things which could have been different. However, the 'Ibrahimovic' lookalike was far too strong for Mee, who only showed us why he had to go to left back in the first place.