PDA

View Full Version : Burnley recycling centre / Tip

casualclaret
13-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Anybody been up recently. I believe there is a permit system in place for " inert" waste ie building materials / turf etc , and are only allowed 10 bags a year. After that it's 3.50 a bag !! I've applied for the permit as I've a load of turf / top soil to get rid of but may have more than 10 bags. Does anybody actually check these permits ? How strict are they ? Any info / advice would be appreciated. Just annoyed that I might have to end up paying for something which should be free.

gogogadgetlegs
13-09-2015, 08:36 PM
If you have a van or 'x' length trailer they will ask for permit apparently. I have been up 3-4 times in a day when clearing stuff out and never been asked for any permit in my car.

gogogadgetlegs
13-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Their policy - view external link (http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/waste-and-recycling/recycling-centre-access-policy.aspx)

casualclaret
13-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Fair do's. Not sure everybody is aware of this permit malarky anyway. Could always plead ignorance.

gogogadgetlegs
13-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Could always plead ignorance.

Not with them jobs-worths you can't.

taio
13-09-2015, 08:45 PM
This one. - view external link (http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/waste-and-recycling/inert-waste.aspx)

Funkydrummer
13-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Bloody rubbish innit ?

Depending where you live in Burnley, it might be better to go to the tip in Hyndburn - on the top road between Huncoat and Accy, or at least split your visits between the two

gogogadgetlegs
13-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Told you, jobs-worths.

Funkydrummer
13-09-2015, 08:55 PM
A bag of toilets ? ! ! :D

Is it any wonder people tip illegally ?

M4CCA
14-09-2015, 10:45 AM
" Burnley recycling centre / Tip"

No matter where it is located, or the staff on duty, it has always been a load of rubbish!!

ClaretNBlue
14-09-2015, 11:43 AM
We took about 5 or 6 bags of soil last month, expected to just be able to dump it only for one of the employees to demand a fee for getting shut of it, after paying, he then told me I could do this for free if I got a permit .... yeah cheers for that, bit late now!

It's more hassle than it's worth dumping rubbish at the tip.

IanMcL
14-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Business waste is chargeable everywhere.

herts_clarets
14-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I have used a number of these places in various parts of the country depending on where I was living. Without exception I have found them to be staffed by ignorant, unhelpful jobsworth types. They like to exert what little bit of power they have when dealing with members of the public. I have seen them watch people carry waste over to one skip, wait for them to get there and then tell them it needs to go in one on the other side of the site. I have struggled to drag a carpet up the stairs into one of the skips whilst the operatives stand and watch. Then you will see a female arrive and 4 blokes will offer to assist her with the one cardboard box she is disposing of. And finally, i was disposing of a mattress. Again they watch me drag it half way across the site, then point me to another location. I dragged it over and dropped it in the area requested. You should have stood it up and not laid it flat said Mr Helpful. Listen mate, i worked hard at school and in my professional

SMC_Claret
14-09-2015, 01:09 PM
I went up there at the start of the summer to dispose of an old fence for my dad and remarked to him that it seemed to be a well run and fairly clean affair - unlike the one I use in south east London which is guaranteed to leave you needing new tyres for your car. The problem is that it seems no one at these places seems to understand the consequences of their jobsworth attitudes. I demolished a brick fireplace a few years ago, bagged it all up in rubble sacks and took it to the tip. They wouldn't even let me in, insisting instead that I go to a weighbridge to assess how much they were going to charge me. The result was that I went home and, over the course of the next six months, hid a brick in each of my black domestic refuse sacks for the weekly collection. So instead of the waste being recycled and used as roadbase, it ended up in landfill.