PDA

View Full Version : How to catch a rat

LoveCurryPies
19-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Saw a large brown rat in my garden this week. I live next to woodland so it's not a surprise. However, I do feed the garden birds (woodpeckers, jay, magpie, nuthatch, and all the usual tits).

Is there a way I can catch without killing? I'd like to release it in other woods away from houses.

BereavementDividend
19-09-2015, 12:13 PM
This is one humane solution I found on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Big-Cheese-Cage-Trap/dp/B000QVSCH6

TuftyBeamish
19-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Get a Jack Russell. Let it do the catching and killing.

BereavementDividend
19-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I've got a Jack Russell. She's 10 but still as sharp as ever. I'll bring her round if you want.

lowbankclaret
19-09-2015, 12:39 PM
i can lend you a rat trap if you wish, its a cage trap that will let you release it.

Hipper
19-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Rats require food and shelter. Remove these things and they'll stop coming.

I would guess your rat would be interested in the bird food. Possibly food spilled on the ground but they can climb up through shrubs and the like too. I don't think they can climb up walls like mice.

We have loads of rats near a pond in the area but I have only seen them here when there is food about.

Natural_Born_Klaret
19-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Can understand your wishes to not kill this rat & instead capture it humanely to release in the wilds LCP

Rats are vermin, spread disease, are multiplying at a pace causing concern (isn't there a Govt movement to cull them as they now are so prominent in urban areas they're a danger in what they spread & how treatment if bitten by one would create need for hospital treatment? Wouldn't want a kid of mine attacked by one)

As with the recent flap about seagulls (see what I accidentally did there?) folks are being advised not to feed them. They have begun nesting quite a few miles inland & take the food that smaller less dangerous creatures need. I live over a mile from the sea but they visit in big flocks & bully creatures that cause no harm & crap everywhere

Not sure there's another way - ethical good deed or rid a disease spreading pest

Don't get me started on the germs & illnesses hedgehogs carry & pass on lol ;)

Good luck in how you tackle it LCP

BereavementDividend
19-09-2015, 01:43 PM
And yet here humans are, mass murdering and destroying a once green and luscious planet. I'd say we're the vermin.

ArmchairDetective
19-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Boil it, mash it, stick it in a stew

Natural_Born_Klaret
19-09-2015, 02:05 PM
True enough BD. Our only defence is we have much more of an ability NOT to destroy than animal lust. We can change & teach what is wrong. Animals lack that in most species

Protest groups have never been so prolific. The opposition towards countries or sects, cults even democratically run countries who rule by terror & murder might not be seen to have too much impact but bodies such as the United Nations, Amnesty International & more stand defiantly

Go back to Stalin & the Third Reich & there were a handful of (often underground) organisations willing to risk lives against tyranny

As for our planet sadly we consider it less important than invisible killers living amongst us in terms of protecting its natural development

Your point is indisputable but this is still an age where more stand against wrong than ever before

The shame is how few are willing to take on the many for survival & growth

Buying a poppy or donating a fiver to Comic Relief is inadequate but a gesture

fatboy47
19-09-2015, 02:26 PM
It's years since I 'ad rat.

gavster
19-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Offer him and big enough five year contract.....

pushpinpussy
19-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I once went to see a dyslexic magician. He pulled a hobbit out of a rat.

eastlondonclaret
19-09-2015, 06:14 PM
We have foxes in gardens in east london they are not much of a nuisance, they just sleep through the day, but their nocturnal exertions can be noisy. However, they hate rats. I first saw a rat through my kitchen window about 6 months ago. At the same time time I saw fox ears prick up. Rat disappeared into tangle of jasmine bush roots. Fox moved towards bush and sat there for 15 minutes just looking. Then huge kurfuffle and next thing is headless rat deposited on back lawn. No rats since. If you dont want rats adopt a fox. Don't feed them - they can look after themselves.

dougcollins
19-09-2015, 06:40 PM
It would only be unusual if you DIDN'T have rats in your garden.

You're never more than 20ft away from one. Kind of.

Sleep tight. - view external link (http://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/rats-are-never-far-away/)

corkcityclaret59
19-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Sprinkle some pepper on his tail,never fails

turfytopper
19-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I believe it is illegal to catch a rat and release anywhere else. If you have rats then would suggest some rat bait.

essexred52
20-09-2015, 07:41 AM
A simple answer to this question is buy a cat,

Rats and mice don't like the scent from cats and they simply stay away, if vermin come to close then it's dicing with death so if rats or mice get caught then it's their problem, I believe that's the most humane way do deal with vermin,

O/T smack the sheep :heart:

karatekid
20-09-2015, 11:00 AM
We once had a rat visiting our garden . We also have a cat. The cat saw the rat and the rat saw the cat. The cat didn't like the look of the rats teeth and claws and that long slimy tail. The cat came into the house and went to sleep. The rat sat and watched then scurried away. He still pays us a visit on occasion. The cat doesn't go out much now.

LoveCurryPies
20-09-2015, 02:33 PM
"A simple answer to this question is buy a cat..."

My dog says "No way!"

The Bedlington Terrier
21-09-2015, 09:28 AM
My mother-in-law who is 85 years young poisons them silly and then hits them on the head with her "ratting hammer". I kid you not!