PDA

View Full Version : FAO Zippy : The mysterious "Fred Green"

the_idiotb_stardson
13-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Hotun mentioned Fred Green in the 'last Millers manager with a Yorkshire accent' thread.

I'll be honest I can't remember him at all. Do you have any info on him, dates when he was in charge, etc?

wrinkly
13-10-2015, 04:28 PM
I vaguely remember him. Seem to recall he was manager of one of the local cricket teams before managing the millers.

wrinkly
13-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Caretaker manager after Jack Mansell quit until Docherty was appointed in November 1967

great_fire
13-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Between Mansell and Docherty, see link - view external link (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xjSIAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT55&lpg=PT55&dq=fred+green+rotherham+united&source=bl&ots=HogWZ-7e5I&sig=eBVa)

kentmillerman
13-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Hotun mentioned Fred Green in the 'last Millers manager with a Yorkshire accent' thread.

I'll be honest I can't remember him at all. Do you have any info on him, dates when he was in charge, etc?

kinell IBS, you have one great memory. Where did you pull this one from. After your post I now recall Fred Green and the indifferent (crap) results.

CAMiller
13-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Between Mansell and Docherty, see link

Thanks for that link - I enjoyed the read.

Aptly the 'free' read ended at "Towner missed an injury time penalty" referring to the end of the February/March '82 winning run and with that miss (and the one by Gow against Luton) went our last chance at reaching the top flight.

the_idiotb_stardson
13-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks Great Fire for the link.

Does anyone else have anymore Fred Green info?

kentmillerman
13-10-2015, 05:12 PM
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/scottish-football-manager-tommy-docherty-in-the-box-at-news-photo/3431400

Heres a photo of the Doc and Fred. - view external link (http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/scottish-football-manager-tommy-docherty-in-the-box-at-news-photo/3431400)

the_idiotb_stardson
13-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Superb effort Kent.

Thanks so much.

kempo
13-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Fred was a manager at 'Steelos' so did not have far to travel.

Brin
13-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Fred was a manager at 'Steelos' so did not have far to travel.

Did he ever work at Silverwood pit? There was a Fred Green who worked there who was well into sport…...

millavanilla
13-10-2015, 09:21 PM
At a guess brin, it would have been around 69 when he managed us..(and i havnt googled it)..or was it seventy?..anyway, most on here would have just been a sp**k bubble, or just not thought about..

CAMiller
13-10-2015, 09:48 PM
At a guess brin, it would have been around 69 when he managed us..(and i havnt googled it)..or was it seventy?..anyway, most on here would have just been a sp**k bubble, or just not thought about..

MV - From the tracking information we get about this site's users I'd say the average user is a 55 years old white male and a sexual deviant ;D

mikemiller
13-10-2015, 10:31 PM
I remember at school (Aston) one of my classmates who was a Miller- Chris Burrows, I think it was - had two badges on his jacket lapels, one which said "Fred", and the other one was just grreen... the teachers never asked hmi to remove them because II don;t think that they understood the significance (At the time Aston School kids were fairly evenly spilt between Pigs, Blades and Millers...and you weren't allowed to wear any football-related gear in class)

Zilzal
13-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Jack Mansell in his first year was a great success taking a threadbare team (the Purshouse's had had a fire-sale of all of our best players) and we finished 7th in Division 2.

Jack then quite naturally expected personal financial reward plus money to start re-building the club after the Ps had destroyed it. Eric and Lewis then told Jack where to go and that he was being overpaid as it was. Jack simmered at their impertinence and eventually thought "fk the pair of you, you'll both reap the consequences soon enough. There's no spine or backbone or talent left at the club."

How right Jack was, finishing his contract with precisely £300 in his bank account after years of managing and coaching. Fred Green was then put in charge for the 1967-8 season. The Purshouse's then realized that what Zilzal The Younger had been saying for at least a year was the truth. Acting accordingly they gave the totally unqualified daft 'aypeth Green some cash which he duly blew to high heaven because he w

Zilzal
13-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Ask me nicely IBS and I'll even tell you which bank the chairman used to bank Anton J's takeover money and Fred Green's monthly salary. Clue. It's not there anymore,

the_idiotb_stardson
14-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Very interesting Zil. Thanks for the info on Fred Green.

Which bank was it?

millavanilla
14-10-2015, 07:07 AM
A good little read that zil and pretty accurate i think, i notice it was all slightly downbeat though..you missed the years between 73 and 79, when the great( in my opinion) jimmy mcguigan( not much money to spend ) got us back into division 3 with players like breckin, stancliffe, finney, crawford, phillips..to a few..no money so he had no choice but to use our youth system..and when he got a bob or two to spend, he didnt waste it, he bought one of my favourite ever players..jimmy was great at getting promotions on nothing..i once spoke to john green who told me that the players of that time still use his phrases..

hotun
14-10-2015, 08:31 AM
I believe that Fred Green was actually appointed manager not caretaker and the Purse houses gave him money to spend,one of his signings was Laurie Sheffield and poor old Fred who had come from Steelos sports club was completely out of his depth.We were bottom of the league and got no points under his leadership.The Purse houses saw the error of their decision and removed him and took the bold step of appointing The Doc,whose first statement to the press was -I will get Rotherham out of this league,he did but unfortunately it was the other way.Fred will allways be known as the worst manager we have ever had,a nice fella but never a football league manager.

mikemiller
14-10-2015, 12:38 PM
I think that Fred Green was already employed at Millmoor as RUFC Club Secretary, and was then promoted to the role of manager. At the time most Millers fans would have had no idea of who he was, unless they had read the small print in the match programmes.

great_fire
14-10-2015, 03:11 PM
I notice since I linked to that excerpt from Rotherham United: A Pictoral History all the cheap copies on Amazon have gone! Luckily I grabbed one for myself, had previously not looked at getting this book, thought it was all pictures.