PDA

View Full Version : Justice ?

MAPinChina
25-10-2015, 10:47 AM
How is this deemed justice:
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/crime/sex-offender-jailed-after-snatching-girl-from-street-1-7532441
Abducting a youn girl, sexuallaly abusing her and dumping her in a "wheely bin"....his punishment 6 years 6 months in prison....in my huble opinion he should be serving at least a life long term behind bars !

BereavementDividend
25-10-2015, 10:51 AM
He does have a life sentence imposed.

There's a bit of a misconception, because when someone is given a life sentence it does literally mean life, it just doesn't necessarily mean life behind bars.

For the rest of this guys life he will not be able to live normally, as life sentences come with conditions even after release. His minimum prison time is 6 years, but any offence he commits after that, no matter how small, will result in going straight back to prison, no trial or anything. Whilst the initial prison sentence may seem unjustified, life really does mean life, and I wouldn't like to have a life sentence, because even when you're not in prison, you're not actually able to live a normal life upon release.

JeremyBender
25-10-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm with you on this one MAPinChina.

This guy was already on the sex offenders’ register after being convicted of an offence against a 12-year-old. He should never be allowed to walk the streets again, as in six years time, I suspect there's a good chance another innocent child will be attacked and abused, or even worse! - view external link (http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/crime/sex-offender-jailed-after-snatching-girl-from-street-1-7532441)

MAPinChina
25-10-2015, 01:04 PM
you think that it is acceptable for him to be allowed to enjoy life at home, however restricted, after committing such a terrible crime ?
I really hope that you don't have any children !

barry_chuckle
25-10-2015, 01:23 PM
" any offence he commits after that, no matter how small, will result in going straight back to prison, no trial or anything."

Let me get this right, he commits a horrible offence against an innocent child, not his first conviction for this but his second....... he serves 6 years inside then the git is let back out and aslong as he behaves like virtually every other member of the population who are normal, he's free for the rest of his life :(

On the other hand, his victims have to live a life sentence due to his behaviour......... Life should mean Life this to me, is a reason why these people commit the same crime more than once. They know they we be given more than one chance due to a weak judicial system.

Cut his tallywacker off, put him away where he can't do anymore damage to innocent people and throw away the key.

The Bedlington Terrier
25-10-2015, 03:46 PM
I doubt it very much if this offender will be seeing daylight again for at least the next twenty years. His minimum tariff will in reality be trebled.

JeremyBender
25-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Why is that Claret13552 ?

beddie
25-10-2015, 05:36 PM
If he serves 6yrs & 6 months he is then free.

Boliclaret
25-10-2015, 05:46 PM
How does this type of sentencing protect innocent members of the public?
Which is what the law is supposed to do!

BereavementDividend
25-10-2015, 05:48 PM
beddie,

He is free from prison, but still under terms posed by a life sentence. What those terms are, I don't exactly know. But you cannot live free like a regular person when you have a life sentence imposed.

dsr
25-10-2015, 11:26 PM
I think what various posters are referring to, bereavement, is that if he is released form prison under certain terms - eg. that he isn't allowed to molest any more children - there is a chance that he might breach those terms. Whereas if he stays in prison, there won't be any children to molest - hence we aren't having to rely on his own moral standing and innate sense of right and wrong.

Letting him out on condition he doesn't do it again didn't work too well last time, did it?

The Bedlington Terrier
26-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Life sentences are handed down with a minimum tariff: "Unlike a prisoner with a determinate sentence who must be released at the end of that sentence, those sentenced to life imprisonment or an indeterminate sentence of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPP) have no automatic right to be released. Instead, such prisoners must serve a minimum period of imprisonment to meet the needs of retribution and deterrence. This punitive period is announced by the trial judge in open court and is known commonly as the "tariff" period". If the offender is deemed to be at risk of reoffending or if the gamble is too great relational to the safety of the public at large, the offender continues to serve his life sentence. A life sentence really can mean being incarcerated for the rest of life.

barry_chuckle
26-10-2015, 09:22 AM
"A life sentence really can mean being incarcerated for the rest of life"
And a life sentence could also mean he's free to re-offend in 7 years.... Life should mean exactly that..........LIFE !!!!!!

Rileybobs
26-10-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't get it, should I be outraged or not?

JeremyBender
26-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Thank you Claret13552 for a very informative reply. It just begs the question that (in this particular case) why the judge didn't give this evil wretch a minimum 'tariff' of 20 years in order to avoid controversy and outcry :?

That said, I gave up years ago trying to make sense of some of the sentences handed down by certain members of the judiciary...