PDA

View Full Version : O/t Free credit reports

kempo
25-10-2015, 05:42 PM
For those who don't know..You can sign up with Noddle and get free lifetime credit reports, absolutely free..no catches.

Very useful for financial planning and security checks re your finances.

loyalmiller
25-10-2015, 09:34 PM
I've never understood why people need or would use these credit report businesses, what can they do what you can't do yourself?

Some of them actually charge for this pointless stuff! Experian charge 14.99 a month just to inform you on who's offering the best finance deals that particular month! Can't people just look online and sort it out for themselves?

My wife tells me I'm cynical , I'm not. I just don't trust anyone! :-D

Casper64Frank
25-10-2015, 09:51 PM
They do serve a purpose for people wanting loans / mortgages & wanting their credit rating.

I don't have a credit card, not owned one for around three years.
Did used to have a Business credit card for obvious reasons.

Personally wouldn't touch Noddle especially with the Talk-Talk scenario.
Most reviews as recent as this month are awful.

If you are interested in your credit rating check out the link & decide for yourself.

- view external link (https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/noddle.co.uk)

tony260674
25-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Loyal, one in four people have incorrect details on their credit report. Sometimes you will be linked to individuals you are no longer linked to and sometimes addresses that you no longer live at. As for Noddle, I have used them for my business and they have always provided a very good service although it appears that they have been caught off guard by the talk-talk developments. The basic service Noddle provides is free but you will receive emails asking you to upgrade to their premium service. Don't bother, the free service is all you need.

loyalmiller
25-10-2015, 10:29 PM
I wasn't aware that Noddle had anything to do with Talk Talk. I'm guessing the original poster did which, with his track record is probably why he started the thread.

Sometimes wonder if we're all on the same side!

Casper64Frank
25-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Loyal, don't think kempo meant anything by his post.

Noddle will suit some.

I`ve used Equifax & Experian in the past, luckily I no longer need my credit rating checking.

As tony says they can get your details wrong.

CAMiller
26-10-2015, 12:14 AM
...and Experian recently got hacked here in the US so even those that sell credit report activity as a security measure are vulnerable.

kempo
26-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Not sure what loyal is on about.

Thought I would try and help posters by making them aware of this free service.

Anyone who doesn't understand the benefits of seeing their personal credit report lacks a bit of financial nous.

At the very least surely it's a good idea to see what information these people hold.

Look at your report and you may be surprised.

Noddle is absolutely free to see your report and history plus your score..no catches whatsoever.

Have a look and you will like it ..guaranteed

The only link with talktalk is that TT are providing free credit alerts via Noddle for TT customers to alert them re any credit changes thus guarding against ID fraud.

It's a strange site this when you get attacked for trying to help people...sad really.

myowzer
27-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I use Noddle regularly and it is indeed free, every 30 days they update your file, however, if you want your actual score you do have to pay, it's around 20 for a year called noddle improve, the free version only gives you a score of 1-5 from 5, they use call credit for there reports and scores. If you want your proper score for free try https://www.clearscore.com/ they draw their info from Equifax, it is worth keeping a check on experian too though I haven't found a free one yet that uses them.

Different financial institutions use different ratings providers, some using one of equifax, call credit or experian, some using 2 and some using all 3.

That's if you're interested

PokerMillersSwinton
27-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Clearscore is free.I believe ...

kempo
27-10-2015, 07:29 PM
That's not strictly correct myowzer.

Noddle does indeed give you a 1 to 5 credit rating but also gives you an actual score out of 700 which is part of its free credit report.

For those interested the credit report lists all your credit cards with balances, credit amounts and monthly payments.It also lists cancelled cards.

It details any loans including mortgages and shows up any credit searches that companies may have done on you.

It shows any linkeds and any linked addresses.

It also allows you to challenge any incorrect information.

All this information is absolutely free.

Noddle improve as stated by myowzer is 20 per year and this helps you improve your score.

Monthly alerts which will notify you of any changes in your credit report is also 20 per year.

caytonmiller
27-10-2015, 07:33 PM
someone once told me that every time a credit check is done on yourself it adds a negative report to your credit. for peeps in the know, is this correct??

Brin
27-10-2015, 07:55 PM
'Anyone who doesn't understand the benefits of seeing their personal credit report lacks a bit of financial nous'

It's like people being s.hit scared of something big brother might have on you...sad really..
scaremongering at it's best just to make money out of the individual and people fall for it by paying for someone to search all about them........

Simply cannot understand why folk use these other than wanting to see if they're credit worthy....surely they'd know that before applying for a loan/mortgage....

Keep your finances in check and you shouldn't have to keep logging into these
kind of things...easy as that...

kempo
27-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Clearly not Brin as 70 per cent of loan applications are rejected!

Also it would be useful to see that I had taken a mortgage out last week.....especially if I hadn't!

Brin
27-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Clearly not Brin as 70 per cent of loan applications are rejected!

Also it would be useful to see that I had taken a mortgage out last week.....especially if I hadn't!

That's exactly what I mean buddy....everybody checking everything like they are brick scared....scaremongering...

I'm sure if someone allegedly used my details to obtain a loan/mortgage I could explain myself away....plus probably make something out of it from the company that provided the loan in the first place...

CaptainDonjer
27-10-2015, 09:04 PM
They are worth checking every year or so to make sure you haven't been scammed or if you are about to apply for a mortgage/loan etc.....

The score is completley worthless as each lender has their own scoring system (which they don't publish) not the system used by the credit rating agency.

It is however worth checking all your details are correct, debts, addresses , voters roll etc.... as these can have massive impact on any credit applications.

Brin I know someone who has been the victim of identity theft and it isn't as easy as been able to explain yourself away, if you have bad news on your credit file a bank wouldn't just take your word for it, everything is so automated in credit applications now and if you can't pass it they don't want to know. Checking your record and getting it updated or notifying them ASAP if someone looks dodgy or wrong is worth doing. Just don't pay for it!

Brin
27-10-2015, 10:52 PM
I've set my stall in my working life so haven't thought of credit checks on myself....

I'm mortgage free and have been for some years.....I don't borrow on loans.... in my mid 50's I wouldn't expect to...

I have saved well and have regular pensions coming in and I'm in full time work....

I suppose it's how you set yourself up for later life......I acknowledge and respect that not everyone can fall into the same category...however....and I'm not being cynical here but some some folk don't help themselves living above their means and plastic cash can ruin lives....I've seen too many friends blast their credit cards even to the point of bankruptcy....why?

Okay so checking on your credit worthiness is okay if that's what you want to do but it's not something I've ever thought about tbh....

kempo
28-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Each to their own Brin.

If everyone had managed their money like yourself then we wouldn't have had the recent financial crash but we are in a new world now of everyone spending money they don't have.

Brin
28-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Each to their own Brin.

If everyone had managed their money like yourself then we wouldn't have had the recent financial crash but we are in a new world now of everyone spending money they don't have.

And therein lies most people's in debt problems.... GREED...it's all so easy to get plastic credit and just live way beyond your means.... Do a Viv and spend spend spend....

When it all piles up and the baliffs come knocking just file for bankruptcy the cowards way out..... It's all so common now people don't lose face in society.....makes you wonder what's around the corner....

loyalmiller
28-10-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm with you, Brin. Never used one, never had any reason to.

Although like yourself I do now feel like having a bit of a nosey just to see what they might have on me.

John2
28-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Anyone who thinks they know it all and applies for credit blind is missing a trick. I check regularly for free and notice patterns and ways to improve. For example, I've seen where simply moving house/applying for a credit card/others caused my rating to drop 2 out of 5 levels and I could see how long it takes to recover.

I've also spotted old mobile phone accounts and cards still linked to my account even though I thought they were closed. And accounts which still point to old addresses - all of which negatively affected my rating.

I have a 150k mortgage. The difference between a top and average mortgage rate can be around 1%. My experience and access to my credit history allows me optimise when to apply for (and not apply for) certain products, to maximise my chances of getting the best rates.

Saving 1% on a 150k 3 year mortgage would be an extra 4,500 in the bank.

But some people just know it all...

loyalmiller
28-10-2015, 11:33 AM
John, I don't claim to 'know it all' in fact I don't know that much.

I do know I've been mortgage free for 15 years, never had a credit card and the only thing I've got on 'tick' is my wife and I's season tickets which are interest free anyway.

So that's the reason I say I don't need a credit checking site.

John2
28-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Sorry loyal, I was more responding to comments that couldn't understand why anyone would use a credit report if they were keeping their finances in check. Let alone the ridiculous assertion that anyone who makes prudent checks for fraud is a victim of scaremongering.

CAMiller
28-10-2015, 02:15 PM
As mentioned it is a different ball game these days. I think I have two credit watches (being provided free) currently on my report simply due to no fault of my own. First is due to a purchase made at a large retailer with a bank card (not a credit card) who had malware in the system that 'stole' 50M+ account details and second due to a credit agency that was hacked (Experian) that had been used by T-Mobile when I'd started a new phone plan. I get an alert within 24h of of any activity on my credit.

I did ask them if they could alert me when Mrs CA used the bank account but no luck there XD