PDA

View Full Version : ON THIS DAY: Fireworks with Ade & Spice

ClaretTony2014
05-11-2015, 10:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SC2dY7B.jpg

We've played 12 league games on 5th November in post-war football. Six of them have been won, one drawn and five lost, but the standout game will surely be the one played ten years ago today at Luton, one that anyone there will never forget.

Such was the game that the match day threads remain in the Classic Threads forum within our message boards.

Nothing untoward looked likely other than a third away win of the season when John Spicer twice played through balls for Ade Akinbiyi to run on and score. The second of them was a blistering strike that former Burnley goalkeeper Marlon Beresford could do nothing about.

The second of those goals had come just past the half hour but eight minutes later the game changed when Brian Jensen was sent off for handling the ball outside the penalty box. If Dermot Gallagher had been around on Sky Sports News at the time he would have confirmed that referee Paul Melin got it wrong; there was no potent

tybfc
05-11-2015, 12:19 PM
That Luton game was absolutely brilliant and I'll never forget it.

ClaretTony2014
05-11-2015, 04:00 PM
One of those 'had to be there' days - you never know when they are going to happen. This was definitely one.

lotty1
05-11-2015, 04:09 PM
I had to announce the half time firework "display" by Basil and was in danger of my little all singing , all dancing wooden hut being burned down with the thought of that massive display ; I needn't have worried though as it was somewhat of a damp squib . The sparklers were good though . :O ;) :P

IanMcL
06-11-2015, 01:15 PM
I think you have managed to underplay the Luton game with the 3-2 win and Spicer in goal!
Ade hattrick great stuff. However, the defending by the team with balls headed off the line and blocks everywhere made it a great watch...although nervewracking.

I think Spicer did manage one save, although we might just as easily achieved the result with him playing upfield, such was the protection afforded.

Magic!

claretspice
06-11-2015, 01:30 PM
10 years ago - crikey. Fabulous away day.

mkmel
06-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Little Spicer in goal against a team full of giant size players :)

I was there to witness an against all the odds win in a game that will live on forever in Burnley folklore

mkmel
06-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Before the game my Son & I met up with a Luton supporter friend of mine and his son.

His son obviously didn't like Ade Akinbyi for some reason and before the game he said "as long as Akinbyi doesn't score".....well he didn't just score he scored three !!! :)