PDA

View Full Version : ON THIS DAY: Devastating FA Cup defeat

ClaretTony2014
15-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Burnley have played eight post-war league games on 15th November and we've won four of them, drawn one and lost three with two of those defeats at home against Wolves. We've also played two FA Cup ties on this date; one was lost and one drawn prior to us going out.

The two Wolves defeats were in 1958 (0-2) and 1975 when we were beaten 5-1 against a team that ultimately were relegated with us at the end of the season. In poor conditions, Ray Hankin scored our goal just after half time, but we were 3-0 down by then with more goals to come.

The only other league defeat was at Derby in 2003. We were beaten 2-0 in a performance that I described at the time as inept. Lee Morris, son of former Claret Colin, opened the scoring with Ian Taylor converting a late penalty to complete the scoring.

We've played just once since on this date on a day when I was concerned we would turn in an After the Lord Mayor's Show performance at QPR. The team had stayed in the South East after that

Rowls
15-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Telford. My second ever football game.

Bob Lord knows I ever returned or even became a committed Claret?

ClaretTony2014
15-11-2015, 03:02 PM
It really was as low as we could get (or so I thought). Thank goodness we didn't drop out that year but what an awful side we had.

I've just taken a look at our team - it was: Joe Neenan, Phil Malley, Peter Hampton (Darren Heesom), Billy Rodaway, Joe Gallagher, Ray Deakin, Ian Britton (Rob Regis), Neil Grewcock, Derrick Parker, Leighton James, Ashley Hoskin.

Please Burnley Football Club, don't ever take us back there again.

herts_clarets
15-11-2015, 07:22 PM
The worrying part is that a number of those players weren't the worst we had put out and were to play for us post Orient. Grewcock James Deakin Hoskin and Britton. How did we become so sh!t?

domclaret
16-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Watching people try and remove the back of the away end was more entertaining than the match at Telford

SMC_Claret
16-11-2015, 12:40 PM
The daft thing about the Telford game was that it caused barely a ripple in the national media because Telford had a great record in the Cup and Burnley were sinking fast as a club. Also, didn't Wolves get tonked 3-0 by Chorley in the same round and take all the headlines?

One of the goals at Telford (I forget which) highlighted just how crippled Joe Gallagher was. As the ball dropped into the empty net, anyone with a functioning pair of legs would have cleared it. Even Long John Silver could have stretched out his wooden limb more convincingly. A nadir for both player and club. I don't miss those days.

ClaretTony2014
16-11-2015, 12:49 PM
"Also, didn't Wolves get tonked 3-0 by Chorley in the same round and take all the headlines?"

They did, but not on this date when we did get the headlines. Wolves and Chorley drew 1-1 that day and then it was 1-1 again in the replay before Chorley won the second replay 3-0 nine days after the first game.

SMC_Claret
16-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Bah, you've done me again, Tony!. Just been trying to find the footage of this online. I found the Wolves games (played at Burnden Park, actually) but nothing of our game. I have it on an old Betamax tape in the loft along with Ashley Hoskin's goal at Swansea. One of these days I'll get it all on digital media and put together the definitive story of the worst season in Clarets history.