PDA

View Full Version : His magic is often taken for granted

ClaretTony2014
20-11-2015, 11:16 PM
I've never seen this before but it is a quote from Matt Busby about a Northern Ireland inside forward who played for Burnley in the 1950s and 60s.

Natural_Born_Klaret
21-11-2015, 01:29 AM
Matt really said that? Must be some powerful magic indeed to make the comment vanish

Never mind CT, you edit an anecdote in there now & we'll all pretend there was one there in the first place ;)

Bet I can the player in question though....

Bin_Ont_Turf
21-11-2015, 01:38 AM
There won't be a football person about at that time who didn't know how good our Jimmy was.

The Bedlington Terrier
21-11-2015, 03:21 AM
By an odd coincidence I was talking to an old timer from Blackburn in a rug shop in Ramsbottom yesterday. He said the best 2 players he ever saw were the great Jimmy Mc and Bryan Douglas. I have to agree!

ClaretTony2014
21-11-2015, 10:23 AM
"He said the best 2 players he ever saw were the great Jimmy Mc and Bryan Douglas."

With no disrespect, if he lists Douglas in his top two then he hasn't seen too much football.

Natural_Born_Klaret
21-11-2015, 10:35 AM
It also makes me wonder why Man Utd never came in for Jimmy at a time they'd still be rebuilding after Munich

I agree, with no slur meant on Dougla, in that I don't think he came close to the talent & impact JM had & the love he still shares with the fans & people of Burnley

It's the strongest bond I've ever felt between a player & his Club & Town. Sadly I was 2 seasons or so from seeing him darting between players on the Turf but the connection remains incredibly close

You forgot to state what Busby said about Jimmy Mc Tony.....

The Bedlington Terrier
21-11-2015, 02:03 PM
It's a game that's all about opinions CT. Bryan Douglas was a wizard on the wing. If I recall correctly (I was only about 8 at the time he regularly ran Alex Elder ragged). Bryan earned 36 caps and scored 11 goals for England. He appeared in two World Cups, in 1958 and 1962, appearing in all of England's matches in the two tournaments. A true Ewood legend and one I had a lot of time for. I am sure he scored at least 100 goals for the Barstewards who rightly regard him as a legend.