PDA

View Full Version : ON THIS DAY: Seven against Port Vale and that comeback at Hull

ClaretTony2014
26-11-2015, 10:08 AM
It's 26th November, a day when Burnley have played nine post war games, all of them in the league, and it certainly hasn't been a bad day. We've won six of them, drawn two and lost just the one which was a 1-0 defeat at Doncaster in 1988, a fourth successive defeat which had seen us drop from top of the league to seventh.

The first of the two draws was 0-0 at home to Orient in 1977. This draw wasn't of too much use. Having beaten Notts County in the previous home game, we'd followed it up with a defeat at Cardiff and then this draw. We were bottom of the league and four points behind the next club.

We were mid-table in 1994 when we travelled to Grimsby. Twice we had to come from behind to draw, and it remains the only point I've seen us win there. Both goals were scored by defenders; Steve Davis got the first and deep into stoppage time the second was a stunning goal from Gary Parkinson. A 2-2 draw it was.

It's all wins from here; six of them, three at home and three away, sta

domclaret
26-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Reeves being injured was key that season

ClaretTony2014
26-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Without a doubt domclaret - we'd finally got the season going and were hitting big scores, In the four games following this we got four at Wimbledon and five against S*bleep*horpe, but losing Reeves was a massive blow. What a superb player he was.

Boliclaret
26-11-2015, 01:54 PM
"We've won 7-0," I said. "I don't care," was his reply, "I'm not paying good money to watch the sh!t we've played in the second half."
That explanation should be in the Dictionary, under the word fickle. :s