PDA

View Full Version : OUR INABILITY TO CLICK

0oogeorgeoghani
28-11-2015, 06:22 PM
we have the quality, but not clicking, is Marney the answer, he is a tough tackler, and good off the ball and.pressing forward, who makes way for him though, Boyd not having his best.season but obviously missing his.partnership with Tripps,Jones playing well, Barton.can't be dropped, I think we should.start with.our.usual lot.against Preston if vokes is fit, and then make an early change if we are still missing firing, Marney will be back as first choice before long but at who s cost

minniemouth
28-11-2015, 06:30 PM
4-4-2 puts so much pressure on Jones & Barton. We get away with it against average sides but struggle against the better teams playing 3 against them. Can't argue with SD though. He sticks to his guns and we are still up there.

Akinbadbye_20
28-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Terrible team selection today, was never going to work with Gray and Long together. We haven't found the right balance yet, i still think we are going to have to drop either Jones or Barton for Marney, we lack the necessary energy in midfield for me. Id also sometimes play Ulvestad off Gray in a 451 so we can keep possession better but i doubt it will ever happen

ClaretTony2014
28-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Thought selection was right under the circumstances today.

toddy58
28-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Our inability to click stems from the fact that our captain should be directing from midfield and not from one end of the pitch!
SD has made a mistake appointing a goalkeeper as captain.

lotty1
28-11-2015, 08:04 PM
OK that's 2 mistakes then . :?

The Bedlington Terrier
28-11-2015, 08:05 PM
We drew 2-2!

treadmillclaret
28-11-2015, 08:07 PM
"Id also sometimes play Ulvestad off Gray in a 451 so we can keep possession better but i doubt it will ever happen"

On what basis do you think playing Ulvestad would mean we can keep possession better.

He can`t even keep possession of a place on the bench !!

What part of his twenty six and half minutes of playing first team football has drawn you to this conclusion ?

Sidney1st
28-11-2015, 08:09 PM
The fact that he's been injured means his stature has grown of course.

That's what normally happens anyway.

AuntSally
28-11-2015, 08:12 PM
You're right toddy58 regarding the keeper being captain, but the problem arises when you aren't sure what your best central midfield actually is to actually pick your captain. You appoint a player you know you're going to select every week... Jones, Barton, Marney - he'll play 2 out of those 3 and I don't think any of them are guaranteed their place.

So I don't think he can select a captain in central midfield. You then move back to defence and we have Keane who is too inexperienced and Duff who can't play all the time due to his age. So it looks to me like Heaton is also down to a process of elimination.

But normally, I'd not have a goalkeeper as captain.

jimmymaccer
28-11-2015, 09:52 PM
We either "click" or we start losing...........I still think we"ll "click" because this group is better than so far and like a couple of years ago, get to Christmas, then it's the home run.

Akinbadbye_20
28-11-2015, 09:59 PM
'On what basis do you think playing Ulvestad would mean we can keep possession better.

He can`t even keep possession of a place on the bench !!

What part of his twenty six and half minutes of playing first team football has drawn you to this conclusion ?'

His performance at Villa was very impressive as were his pre season appearances. He hasn't been given a fair chance because Dyche refuses to take risks with selection. We could have one of the best young cental midfielders in the division but we won't know until hes given an opportunity.

Akinbadbye_20
28-11-2015, 10:01 PM
'Thought selection was right under the circumstances today'

It wasn't. You cannot play Long and Gray together, ridiculous decision.

Bin_Ont_Turf
28-11-2015, 10:11 PM
'You're right toddy58 regarding the keeper being captain'

Is he buggery right.

There are two captains in front of Heaton in Duff and Barton. Then you have Marney and to a lesser extent Ben Mee.

All the players know their jobs and we have plenty of players on the field to remind them of it.

When Shackell was captain, who was doing most of the directing, talking and shouting? Yes that's right, it was Heaton and Marney.

Heaton just has the armband.

butterflyvenom
28-11-2015, 11:30 PM
I didn't go,and haven't seen any of the match.
I heard Jamie Hoyland 's summary on radio Lancs . When the commentator suggested it was a well earned point and highlighted the tenacious spirit, Hoyland wouldn't have any of that.
He said we should be dominating teams like Cardiff and the likes. Burnley had nothing from Boyd apart from one decent ball into their box. He dismissed any talk of Boyds running,suggesting it is the very least we should expect from one of our footballers.
He was critical of the formations inability to make any real inroads as well.
To me, I feel an away point is a good thing. Hoyland is an ex pro who reads the game as such.
At least we are still involved with the leading pack as we approach December.
Hoyland was adamant that this idea that we'll suddenly "click" is a myth. He reckoned what you see is what you'll get, week in, week out.

could be worse, we could be Newcastle fans !

gosia
29-11-2015, 12:10 AM
It's a tad difficult to say we aren't clicking when we're undefeated for 9 games. It is 9 isn't it?
It seems also difficult to comment on whether we are flexible enough given the above. However, I do feel we could be more productive and get better results if we were and occasionally especiaily against the stronger teams adopted a different formation.
I feel a 4 3 3 formation might serve us better. Marney. Jones and Barton in midfield would make a very strong midfield especially with Marney a touch more forward than the other two. However, I don't think Sean will ever play that formation or consider dropping either Arfield or Boyd neither of whom have had particularly good seasons so far. Possibly an injury to either of those two might force his hand. If we had Barton. Jones and Marney in midfield we could play Vokes up front with Gray having a free role across the front. Those two and a tricky winger alongside them could, in my opinion, make us a stronger team.
However in Sean we

dsr
29-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Hoyland's idea that we should dominate teams like Cardiff is ridiculous. Has he looked at the league table? Cardiff are play-off challengers and had let in 4 home goals before today; they're beatable, but you don't go to places like that and dominate the game week after week.

southcoastclaret
29-11-2015, 06:48 AM
"Jones playing well" - you've got to be joking! He's terrible. Sure he hustles and bustles, and sees plenty of the ball, the problem is he has absolutely no idea what to do with it once he gets it. He's like a rabbit in the headlights, full of indecision, and then almosy always plays a short backwards ball, often to someone under more pressure than him. I think I can count on one hand the number of forward passes I've seen him make. Sure he has delivered a few decent dead balls, but that isn't enough to earn a place in the team. We looked so much better balanced with Marney on yesterday.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
29-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Jones terrible. Weird what some folk watch.

RogerEliHatTrick
29-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Whilst its all about opinions and we may well need other options to Jones, anyone who thinks Jones is terrible clearly hasn't seem him play much.

stacky_claret
29-11-2015, 11:09 AM
South coast claret
Don't know how long you've been watching Burnley but surely you must realise we don't have any terrible players any more just some better than others :D

southcoastclaret
29-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Well yes - everything is relative! Been following since 1983. It is true to say I'd rather have Jones in the team than Phil Malley!

M4CCA
29-11-2015, 11:19 AM
I may be in the select few, but I agree with Jamie Hoyland.
It is ok going and "Grinding" out draws having fallen behind, but the harsh reality that every draw is 2 points dropped.
Forest, Wolves and Cardiff are exactly the places where top teams go and get results especially when as our games were their sides lacked confidence, and created very little.

As for this "still unbeaten" drum being banged, would you prefer to draw the next 10 or win 5 and lose 5? A win V Brighton and a defeat at Cardiff would of been far more beneficial to us than drawing both.

The concerning thing though is the manner of the draws, usually a soft goal ( or 2 ) then we are chasing the game. We cant keep doing that and getting away with it as the Reading game showed. Better teams will punish us and/or our luck will eventually run out.

0-10 games to "click" I kind of understand, but approaching half way and still not clicked represents normality and what to expect IMO.

( I am still positive, as I

enola_gay
29-11-2015, 11:52 AM
The longer the season goes on, the more think that the 'we just need to click' idea is a myth, and that what we're doing now is as good as it gets. The way we're set up doesn't lend itself to us destroying teams with flowing football, and no-one is playing egregiously below their peak form.

Everyone seems to be pretty much on their game and playing to the system. We just have to hope it's good enough.

theclaret57
29-11-2015, 12:10 PM
M4CCa, So Wolves, Cardiff & Forest are the teams we should be turning over?

So far Hull & Brighton have drawn at Wolves, Middlesbrough won
So far Derby have lost at Forest, Hull & Middlesbrough have won
So far Middlesbrough have lost at Cardiff, Hull have won

Why haven't ALL the top teams beaten Cardiff on their own patch if they have aspirations for promotion.

At least check your facts before posting!

M4CCA
29-11-2015, 12:40 PM
HA HA HA , So what your saying is

Hull got 7 points from the same 3 games
Middlesbrough 6 points
Brighton 1 point but from only 1 game

Yet that's a worse points return than ours?
I know who's points totals I would rather have...

to quote YOUR last sentence
"At least check your facts before posting!"

Boliclaret
29-11-2015, 08:17 PM
I think we'll click more and more as the season progresses. We have a few players who haven't reached the fitness levels required due to lack of playing time or injuries. Dyche and the rest of us will inadvertantly discover what our best team is going into the new year. Marney is back, additions may join the club in January and certain players will start to find their feet and become more confident. We have a decent squad and its a long 46 (possibly 49) game season.

So far with the sale of Ings, Shackell and Trips along with Marneys injury lay off this has been a better return than I anticipated. My biggest concern is the defence, we're not as water tight as we were during the promotion season. I'd like to see a CH who's captain material join the club in January. If we are to challenge for an automatatic promotion spot then I think this is key.