PDA

View Full Version : A bit of Claret support for all those stuck in the flood!

jdrobbo
06-12-2015, 11:29 AM
We have several posters (past and present) from this messageboard, who live in some of the country's most seriously affected flood hit areas. I just wanted to wish you all well and hope that you and your families stay safe.

Take care.

John

Ps - Just seen Carlisle United's Brunton Park on ITV News. We should count ourselves lucky that when we turn up for the Charlton game, the game will be played on an immaculate pitch, despite the awful weather yesterday.

http://i64.tinypic.com/y2d4.jpg

Imploding Turtle
06-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Be cool if Burnley offered Turfmoor for them to play their matches on in the near future. And put on free buses down for home fans.

ClaretTony2014
06-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Second time in just a few weeks that Carlisle have suffered this; they are almost experts in dealing with it now.

Awful conditions and thankful that the only problems here were my shoes letting in water yesterday afternoon.

burnleybabe
06-12-2015, 05:50 PM
I believe Lancaster Clarets house was flooded.

Really hoping its not been too bad for any of you.

jdrobbo
06-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Well said BB

burnleybabe
06-12-2015, 09:49 PM
Very very surprised by the apathy by our fellow Clarets on this thread. I know of 3 fellow Clarets that will have been effected from these floods. Yet all everyone seems to be bothered about is a Football Result. Pathetic

lotty1
06-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Shocking up here in Cumbria ( Haverigg ). Started raining at 6pm on Friday and didn't stop until 9pm Saturday and then it rained on and off most of the night . Never know it to rain for so long and add to that 60mph winds .
Was due to visit the Turf yesterday for the 1st time this season - no chance as the road to the M6 was impassable . The sea defences at Haverigg seem to be excellent thankfully . Waking up this morning was quite eerie as the wind had died and the rain had stopped - everything was so quiet after basically 3 weeks of storms .

We were lucky - no damage but many sadly have had nightmares - again . Another weather warning for the area overnight Monday .

cloughyclaret
06-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Lotty, even here in E lancs its seems quiet when the wind dies down in the early hours, and we havent had the half of it.

Take care all.

ClaretTony2014
07-12-2015, 09:11 AM
The weather has been bad enough in this area in the last couple of days and it is good to see the departure of both wind and rain today.

We are much more fortunate than other parts of the country and it is clear that once again they've got it badly further north from Lancaster upwards.

Carlisle's ground is under water again (see below) and their players have offered their services to residents to help them with any work that needs doing. Fantastic gesture from them.

http://i.imgur.com/lfTeJ6d.jpg

lakedistrictclaret
07-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Cockermouth has flooded again, the Main Street was under three feet of water on Saturday. Not as bad as 2009 when it was eight feet, but still a major clearing up operation required which will take months.

We live in a village 500 feet above sea level, about four miles north-east of Cockermouth, so we weren't as bad, but our garden flooded to a depth of about three inches. Our house has steps up to all the doors, so the water will never get inside, but it's still worrying.

I set off for the match on Saturday. I'd already decided to go via Penrith and the M6 rather than through the Lakes (the A591 was washed away later alongside Thirlmere) but I turned back at Threlkeld. I dare say I'd have got there, but I was worried about getting back. As it happened, I don't think I'd have been able to.

First home game I've missed in over two years

ClaretTony2014
07-12-2015, 10:47 AM
burnleybabe mentioned Lancasterclaret who I spoke to before the game on Saturday. I've contacted him this morning and he said they are drying out now and it could have been worse.

spadesclaret
07-12-2015, 01:11 PM
CT, are we talking about LancasterClaret (with capitals) or lancasterclaret100? As everyone knows, LC is my hero :-)

But, whichever it is, and to anyone suffering the aftermath of flooding, you have my sympathy and I wish you well.

ClaretTony2014
07-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Your hero spades - but as he said they are now drying out, thankfully.

sastin1
08-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Well we live in a little village called Ancrum just outside of Jedburgh near Hawick. I decided to risk it and managed to get through Hawick and down the A7 to Carlisle and then down the M6 which was horrendous.

However had no chance of getting home on Sturday as Hawick was closed as was A7 south of it and in fact all other routes in and around area were shut. We managed to get last family room at Premier Inn on Saturday after match and travelled long way round home on m62 to Leeds and then m1, A1 to Newcastle on route home as our normal route was still closed. Thankfully the flood waters have retreated and the mop up is underway.

Heart goes out to anyone affected. I was only in cocker mouth 3 weeks ago when we hired a cottage in Great Clifton. The river levels were high then.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-12-2015, 06:59 AM
Cameron intends blowing the best part of 200 billion on Trident, yet Cumbria's flood defences get next to nothing. Never mind Cumbrians and those affected in the Borders and North West, be assured that Cameron is cosy: the Thames Barrier located downstream of central London at a total construction cost of around 534 million (1.3 billion at 2001 prices) keeps our parliamentary heroes safe and dry. Keep your chins up Cumbrian Clarets and good luck to all of those affected by political complacency and flooding.

lakedistrictclaret
09-12-2015, 10:38 AM
sastin, which cottage did you rent at Great Clifton? Was it White Gables?

wilks_bfc
09-12-2015, 11:31 AM
PNE have offered the use of Deepdale to Carlisle for their "home" game against Notts County - view external link (Www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35044803)

claretspice
09-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Fair play to North End for that. The only ground which would be more viable is Newcastle, which is possibly a little on the big side.

Its been absolutely brutal up in Cumbria, the pictures coming out of Glenridding (belatedly - it was completely cut off till after the weekend) are like a war zone. 1,300 people temporarily homeless in Kendal alone, many more in Carlisle, Appleby, Keswick Cockermouth and North Lancashire. The one saving grace is that these are all places with a really strong sense of community and those bonds will be reinforced by this.

But once the clear up is complete, there needs to be some really serious analysis of why this keeps on happening. We can't keep wringing our hands every time and saying "blimey, that water was miles above what anyone predicted" - someone has to change their predictions so that they really have factored in the doomsday scenario, and we have to start really, seriously investing in flood defences across the country - not cutting back o

burnleybabe
09-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Latest on LancasterClaret

Is the whole of the downstairs of their house is wrecked by the flood. They are going to have to move out for about 6 months.
So they are looking at houses to rent near where they live.

spadesclaret
09-12-2015, 07:52 PM
burnleybabe, when you next see or speak to Lancaster please tell him
how sorry I am and give him my best wishes. I would love to know how his lads are doing.

Boliclaret
09-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Well done PNE and the Carlisle players. Terrific gestures.

burnleybabe
09-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Yes I will do.
they were quite exited that they had been flooded though.

burnleybabe
09-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Spades
I have contacted Lancaster and told him what you said.
His reply was to tell you that your a star and the boys are doing great

spadesclaret
09-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Thank you, bb.

sastin1
10-12-2015, 11:08 PM
It was indeed White Gables lakedistrictclaret

lakedistrictclaret
11-12-2015, 10:56 AM
The reason I asked is that we bought White Gables in 1993 and lived there until 1999, when we sold it and bought our present property.

The present owners have done a lot of work on it (eg our kitchen is now a bedroom and the current kitchen was our dining room) and they've built another house on the front garden.

It was a good house, although not in the right area. Our current village is much nicer!

Fitzwallop
14-12-2015, 09:41 AM
just got round to posting. We have a property in Cockermouth which was very badly flooded last weekend (but one) for the third time. We don't live there having moved out to a nearby village in 2009 and have spent the last week supporting and helping our lovely tenant move out and cleaning our dear cottage up. The community in Waterloo St has a fantastic spirit and we are all pulling together to get on and through. Next weekend I'll be down at the Turf as usual courtesy of the kindness of lake district claret who gives me a lift. Onwards and upwards - could do with a win though!

1959_60
14-12-2015, 09:28 PM
My heart goes out to everyone affected.

Me and Mrs 59-60 have a small yacht on Ullswater, in Glenridding and we went up there yesterday convinced that she would have sunk, or been driven aground. The lake actually rose by ten feet and the office/cafe at St Patricks boatyard was swamped - water right up to the gutters. Amazingly our boat survived the storm and is in good nick.

Glenridding looked like a war zone but the spirit of the people was incredible. The shops, which had been flooded twice in just a few days, were open and looking pretty normal. There were volunteers everywhere clearing up the mess and major construction work was going on round the river, which was the main reason for the floods.

There is a very big upside to all this. The whole community is working, eating and laughing together - and this always bodes well for the future strength of the village.
Many of us live in areas where we never speak to our neighbours.

pstotto
15-12-2015, 12:53 AM
Stop bullying 'The Flood', apparently he's a nice bloke.