PDA

View Full Version : Environment Agency - waste of space and money

collecting
22-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Ask Cumbria about the Environment Agency and all the river dredging/flood capture work ??!!

What do they do ? Count fish ?

Time the government got its finger out and sorted our waterways which would be better money spent than a stupid high speed train (Skype is faster).

jolly_roger
22-12-2015, 09:11 PM
I deal a lot with the Environment Agency and on the whole there's a lot of good work done by a lot of good people. Unfortunately (as for all government departments) the media find it easier to point at an individual failure rather than the massive number of things they get right.

The Cumbria flooding makes me smile, folks want the attractiveness of living in a pretty town next to a pretty river then act like Syrian refugees when the river decides to make them a visit. Yes massive expensive defences can be built but surely it's easier to live on higher (less attractive) ground?

Plus it's entirely possible to spend the whole budget on protecting Cumbria whilst abandoning the sea defences on the east coast that protect massive areas of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

It's a balancing act with a limited budget. They do ok considering the restrictions imposed on them.

Adventus2012
22-12-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm not being funny collecting but as I understand it, not all the rivers are under the control of the EA most rivers and other controlled waters (except marine) are managed by the water authorities like Yorkshire Water etc. etc. So they should be managing the bathymetry of the tidal rivers and any of the numerous tributaries. So it would be unfair to place all the blame at the door of the EA. That would be like blaming the HSE for companies that fail to manage Health and Safety properly. I am certain the EA will do everything in their power to address this issue.

jolly_roger
22-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Yes that's generally correct Adventus but the EA are more hands on than the HSE.

Of their many duties one is the responsibility for managing the risk of flooding from main rivers, reservoirs, estuaries and the sea.

CAMiller
22-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Looks like business will be booming for them over the next couple of hundred years then. Don't let Kempo know or he'll be buying stock :-)

Adventus2012
22-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Yes jolly I agree entirely with your comments and the EA are are more proactive than the HSE.

jolly_roger
22-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Indeed CAMiller.

For me it's similar to accident reduction in cars. Yes you can make cars safer with seat belts, ABS and other devices but changes in driving habits and actually reducing driving hours can save much more.

Flood defences are like car seat belts, yes they work but are passive. We need to be more active and start to live in places that the water doesn't normally get to.

Btw I see that the modifications to the away end car park are nearly finished and they include a new flood defence clay bank. There's also a new footpath between the bank and the water. So a much bigger issue than the few dodgy drains we originally thought it was.