PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Miller pub/Dustys Lodge

audimiller
22-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Just a word of warning for anyone parking here. I have parked here on its forecourt for the past 3 years with no problem, thinking that as it was large enough to reverse my car onto it i wasnt contravining the double yellow lines that run alongside the road as i wasnt physically touching them and still left ample room for pedestrians to walk past the front of my car. The gym 10 feet away displays signs stating its forecourt was for gym users parking only and no other parking restriction signs are displayed anywhere. My feeling of euphoria after our win against Hull was quickly turned to disbelief after i noticed mine and every other car had been issued with a parking ticket. Phoned council to be told the double yellow lines not only enforce the road but the whole of the pavement right up to Dustys Lodge wall. Obviously council are looking to boost there xmas party kitty with easy pickings on a home match day. Out of interest did anyone used to go in the old Dusty Miller and where did y

mikemiller
22-12-2015, 10:37 PM
It closed as a pub about 30 years ago! There were not as many cars around back in those days, and the local public transport system was much better and cheaper - so parking was probably not such a problem, and it was a bit of a walk to Millmoor from there - there were many other parking spots nearer the ground.

By the way - I went in the Dusty Miller a few times, shortly before it closed. It served real ale (Stones) and the pub's interior looked almost unchanged from 1920/30's with quite elaborate etched glass window panes and panels inside - should have had a preservation order on it.
Good pint too.

just_a_goal
23-12-2015, 06:31 AM
Noticed there are new parking restrictions around Masboro too, around Coldwells gym and St.Bedes church, just check the signs and road markings if you are parking up on Matchdays

fc_miller
23-12-2015, 06:49 AM
They are right about the yellow lines. Just wished this is enforced more. Did all the cars at the top end of westgate have tickets too, along with all the cars on wellgate. There are always cars there on double yellows causing an obstruction.

Also, all council car parking was free on Saturday.

LincsMiller
23-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Another example of fans getting ripped off, the car park that used to be Liquid nightclub is now pay and display, all day 2.00 ...match days 3.00 ...

wrinkly
23-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Dusty's brings back happy memories. Every few months a gang of us used to book the afternoon off work.
We would go to our regular watering hole first, The Bridge. The landlord, Eddie, would indulge is in "off menu" special lunch requests such as giant steaks, mixed grills etc. as long as we waited until the lunch time rush had died down. He didn't want the other regulars to think we were getting special treatment (which we were) although the regular grub in there was top notch anyway.
We'd then trundle down to Dusty's for a pool competition - Dusty's had 4 pool tables in those days.
Happy, happy days.
I used to drink in Dusty's quite regularly at night but never took my car.
The gym is set further back than Dusty's and cars on their forecourt are just off the pavement area. Parking at right angles to the road, in front of the pub, would, I imagine, encroach onto the pavement.
I would guess that the council are legally in the right. It does seem a bit harsh though.

Brin
23-12-2015, 02:22 PM
[quote="audimiller"]Just a word of warning for anyone parking here. I have parked here on its forecourt for the past 3 years with no problem, thinking that as it was large enough to reverse my car onto it i wasnt contravining the double yellow lines that run alongside the road as i wasnt physically touching them and still left ample room for pedestrians to walk past the front of my car. The gym 10 feet away displays signs stating its forecourt was for gym users parking only and no other parking restriction signs are displayed anywhere. My feeling of euphoria after our win against Hull was quickly turned to disbelief after i noticed mine and every other car had been issued with a parking ticket. Phoned council to be told the double yellow lines not only enforce the road but the whole of the pavement right up to Dustys Lodge wall. Obviously council are looking to boost there xmas party kitty with easy pickings on a home match day. Out of interest did anyone used

audimiller
23-12-2015, 03:29 PM
It doesnt matter if cars are parked straight back or at an an angle Wrinkly, they still dont encroach on the footpath as there isnt one pmsl, its all uneven and well worn tarmac or something, but the difference is according to RMBC that under the canopy of the gym, the path is unadopted meaning the gym can advertise it as theres for parking :-( :-(
Thinking of getting 350 one pences Brin and taking it in :-) Iv parked on many a grass verge or kerb at times at places like oxford, burton etc and never knew it was breaking the parking legislations :-(

wrinkly
23-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Fair enough Audi.

Word of caution on the one pence protest.
You have to pay a debt in legal tender.
Smaller coins are only legal tender up to a certain amount. For example, one pence coins are only legal tender up to 20p.
If your 350 one pences were accepted then the debt is paid. Alternatively you could be told to sling your hook and come back with legal tender. The smallest coin which is legal tender for any amount is the one pound coin.

charlielard
23-12-2015, 10:03 PM
So your fine is 3.50?! Not sure why you're making such a fuss?

millmoormagic
23-12-2015, 10:13 PM
[quote="Brin"]Just a word of warning for anyone parking here. I have parked here on its forecourt for the past 3 years with no problem, thinking that as it was large enough to reverse my car onto it i wasnt contravining the double yellow lines that run alongside the road as i wasnt physically touching them and still left ample room for pedestrians to walk past the front of my car. The gym 10 feet away displays signs stating its forecourt was for gym users parking only and no other parking restriction signs are displayed anywhere. My feeling of euphoria after our win against Hull was quickly turned to disbelief after i noticed mine and every other car had been issued with a parking ticket. Phoned council to be told the double yellow lines not only enforce the road but the whole of the pavement right up to Dustys Lodge wall. Obviously council are looking to boost there xmas party kitty with easy pickings on a home matc

jolly_roger
23-12-2015, 10:24 PM
All you need is a blue badge.

Brin
23-12-2015, 11:17 PM

audimiller
24-12-2015, 03:55 PM
So your fine is 3.50?! Not sure why you're making such a fuss?

Haha i went to Pope Pius and maths was never my strong point ;-)

jolly_roger
24-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Saint Pius now the lad won promotion a couple of years back.