PDA

View Full Version : O/T - 'SPECTRE'

ParkgateMiller
28-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Watched this latest Bond film last night and would only rate it as very average, though 100 times better than Skyfall which I thought was absolutely dreadful!

It's not that Daniel Craig is a 'poor' Bond either. It's just the stories and scripts that are so poor. Also I would complain that the old films were always liberally permeated with the terrific 'James Bond Theme', particularly in the action sequences. You hardly hear it in this latest poor offering.

The Jury is out (for me, anyway) on the 'Song' - not a bad song but just not for a Bond movie.

Favourite Bond film? You Only Live Twice.

jolly_roger
28-12-2015, 10:51 AM
So its left you shaken and not stirred?

caytonmiller
28-12-2015, 01:59 PM
if you though that was poor wait till you see the new star wars movie.
hateful 8 is also not great

the_idiotb_stardson
28-12-2015, 02:25 PM
As we are talking about films, may I recommend one?

I saw the DVD '71' the other day. It was absolutely superb. It's a gritty story about a soldier lost in Ulster trying to find his way back to barracks. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Brin
28-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Watched this latest Bond film last night and would only rate it as very average, though 100 times better than Skyfall which I thought was absolutely dreadful!

It's not that Daniel Craig is a 'poor' Bond either. It's just the stories and scripts that are so poor. Also I would complain that the old films were always liberally permeated with the terrific 'James Bond Theme', particularly in the action sequences. You hardly hear it in this latest poor offering.

The Jury is out (for me, anyway) on the 'Song' - not a bad song but just not for a Bond movie.

PM... I am an avid Bond follower and have go agree about some of your points....

Skyfall.... What a damn awful plot and story line.... Okay it was all about revenge on M and her timely demise but let's look at it again... One man 'Bond' is out to protect the very head of MI6 so he drives her On his own I might add to his ancestr

Deepmidwinter
28-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Have not seen a decent film since Gone with the Wind

crookadile
28-12-2015, 02:59 PM

I saw the DVD '71' the other day. It was absolutely superb. It's a gritty story about a soldier lost in Ulster trying to find his way back to barracks. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Agreed IBS, Top Movie really enjoyed it

wrinkly
28-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I planned to watch Spectre a couple of weeks ago. I had last minute 2nd thoughts. Not really in the mood for over-long action sequences to mask a poor plot, which I Imagined it would be, I opted for "Bridge of Spies" instead. I really enjoyed it and, surprisingly, so did Mrs W (who only agreed to watch it because it was my birthday)
Tom Hanks was good but, imho, Mark Rylance, as the Soviet spy, stole the show.
In the film it mentions that Rylance's character was brought up in "the North of England". His Scottish accent took me a bit by surprise.
Apparently the accent has upset Sting as Rudolf Abel (the spy) is a bit of a Geordie hero.
If Sting is so proud of being a Geordie why does he he sing in a West Indian accent?
Anyway "Bridge of Spies" - worth a watch.

ParkgateMiller
28-12-2015, 03:28 PM

PM... I am an avid Bond follower and have go agree about some of your points....Xmas box from her indoors.... The full bond collection..... I can hear the theme tune now...
[/quote]

I read all the books Brin - did you?

Cracking present from your missus pal! Enjoy! I have a soft spot

gorky
28-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Broadfootesque - great film.

jolly_roger
28-12-2015, 08:31 PM

Yes indeed, and free if you subscribe to Amazon Prime

Also quite realistic............but a few bad memories for me, but the story has to be told not forgotten.