PDA

View Full Version : O/T - Road to nowhere ?

BramleyMiller58
28-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Anyone know the intended purpose of the footpath that is under construction in the rear car park @ NYS ? Seems to go from top corner then under the bridge to the railway line.
New exit for away fans ?
If so bridge will be required over the track to Armer Street.

jolly_roger
28-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Following the major flood a few years ago the whole stretch of the river and canal had major flood defence done on it. This included the building of a wall backing onto the Firth Rixson factory and a flood overflow plain behind the Toyota garage. The wall was built as was the flood plain (now a nature reserve)

What wasn't finished though was the public right of way footpath. The path runs next to the canal and the idea was to move it further inland. I assume the new path you refer to is the new path so will eventually be connected up to the path near the council building and the path at the new nature reserve. So again there will be a continuous path along the river/canal from Rotherham to Sheffield.

The NYS side of the new path has a new flood defence bank to protect the ground.

So I think that's whats happening but I haven't seen any recent planning notices to back this up.

BramleyMiller58
28-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Cheers Jolly - Makes sense now

avondalemiller
28-12-2015, 10:11 PM
.............sounds good Jolly, but the path is on the wrong side of the fence and on private property. Maybe RUFC have agreed.
Its about time it was done anyway what ever the reason behind it.
Maybe Roth biz could find out??