PDA

View Full Version : We can't defend.

jolly_roger
02-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Giving away goals, dropping points etc etc

Is this down to bad coaching or simply the mentality of the manager?

Look at the Championship, all of the top 8 teams are managed by ex defenders, the bottom 5 teams are managed by ex midfielders or forwards.

Can't be a coincidence surely?

sawmiller
02-01-2016, 10:29 PM
And often close to the start and end of each half - should be focussed before crossing that white line, and stay that way until crossing it again for half/full time.

Brin
02-01-2016, 11:58 PM
I'll say it til I'm blue in the face…..from a deep throw in or corner we NEVER have a man on each post…..check other teams out in our league…they do it all the time!

Let our big centre halves mix it with the attack and the rest man mark others but for crying out loud when I was a kid we were always trained to defend with a man on each post in these kind of scenarios…..we NEVER do!

Redfearn it's down to you….. sort it and stop blaming the team….

MarkThomas
03-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Brin I agree 100%

Defend the posts from corners and long throws.

Brin
03-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Brin I agree 100%

Defend the posts from corners and long throws.

Mark that back header as un fortuitous as it was would have been easy to deal with with a man on the back post instead of all and sundry trying to mix it in the squabble trying to clear it....basic football but Redfearn comes on the radio saying a man should have been there..... Really Neil? We'll sort it man and let's see it going forward from now...

hotun
03-01-2016, 08:05 AM
More of a concern for me is what is not happening at the other end,we lost to a poor Preston side simply because we only scored one goal from numerous chances,all we did was invite them to come and attack us in the second half and in the end we perished under constant pressure.Plus point was that Facey looked good.

BellBoy
03-01-2016, 08:38 AM
I agree they seemed there for the taking in the first half, but credit to Grayson, he changed their set up second half and put an extra man on the left, which led to us being carved up time after time and NR did n't deal with that.

millers88
03-01-2016, 09:18 AM
I thought the defending yesterday was good tbh, when they were throwing the kitchen sink at us around the 60th min mark there was some terrific blocks and last ditch tackles keeping the scoreline down, i think we could have done better defending their first goal but the 2nd goal was pure luck on their behalf. I think we lost the game in midfield yesterday, Grant Ward and Smallwood didn't have their best games yesterday especially Grant Ward, he was losing possession alot and leaving Gallagher huge amount of space to cause some damage with some lethal crosses. We looked a bit dangerous on the counter attack aswel but the decision making on the final pass was poor yesterday which we need to improve on if we want to be more clinical.

avondalemiller
03-01-2016, 10:12 AM
..the defending for both goals was sh@te, their winner comes from a deflected long throw, if Mattock had stayed on the line, which he's supposed to do, then it's a simple header off the line. There were 3 defenders on the far side of the goal marking each other and no one on the line......school boy error.....again!!!!

Timbertop
03-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Worrying that Redfearn recently said he's very happy with the midfield which,especially yesterday, has proved nowhere near good enough! Notice that Evans' big fancy Massimo Luongo can't get a game at QPR. Talented but a bit on the lazy side for me.

MarkThomas
03-01-2016, 01:53 PM

millertop
04-01-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure we can just blamed he defence (I thought they did well) midfield needs to step up and maybe get to the ball quicker.

millertop
04-01-2016, 07:55 AM
..the defending for both goals was sh@te, their winner comes from a deflected long throw, if Mattock had stayed on the line, which he's supposed to do, then it's a simple header off the line. There were 3 defenders on the far side of the goal marking each other and no one on the line......school boy error.....again!!!!

I agree there should have been a player on the line but let's not forget who scored their winner.