PDA

View Full Version : The magic of the FA Cup

jolly_roger
07-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Here we are on a Rotherham United message board, roughly 48 hours away from playing mighty Leeds in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.............and..........nothing.........hardl y a whimper.....hardly mentioned since the draw was made.

Magic my arse

How times change

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
07-01-2016, 10:26 AM
I still like the FA cup and hoping for some good shocks. If we'd have been a few places higher Id have looking forward to the game a bit more. We need to use the game to give some of the others a run out, will have to anyway with the injuries and no new signing we make from now will be allowed to play. But you never know sometimes you get a nice surprise in games like this.

UTM!

wrinkly
07-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Absolutely right Jolly.
The fact that Premiership clubs would rather finish 4th in the league, to get their hands on the Champions League megabucks, than win the the FA cup is a big factor. They turn out reserve teams in the cup, which does devalue it.
I think the cup has also suffered, to a lesser extent, because games don't all kick off at 3pm on Saturday. TV and the armchair fans are now important than the real supporters.
Semi finals at Wembley takes the gloss off the final.
I'm sure that some of our fans will be of the "concentrate on the league" mindset and will be unconcerned about Saturdays result.
Personally I would love a cup run ( we're well overdue). I know we're stretched in terms of strength of squad and could do without more commitments but I think the confidence factor from a good cup run would outweigh the pitfalls.

Having said that - I fear a hammering on Saturday. I'll then join the "concentrate on the league" party

bigburns
07-01-2016, 10:48 AM
It's because we have drawn 2 sides from a higher division and won around 5 games in total since I have been watching the team (18 years this week) to my recollection.

I've had teabags stay in the cup longer than Rotherham

millertop
07-01-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm still up for the fa cup and will be at Elland road hoping we march to the next round + 7,500 (wages for ? ;) )