PDA

View Full Version : O/t Is regionalism the last acceptable form of racism?

the_idiotb_stardson
07-01-2016, 09:17 PM
I saw an interesting letter in the i-magazine the other day which commented on an article (which I hadn't read) from the previous day. My understanding was that a journalist had made the claim that being a Northerner in London was an intimidating experience and you would be treated with hostility by cab drivers etc.

The letter basically posed the question which I have quoted in the thread header.

If we are saying that using derogatorys for foreigners is wrong, why do we allow and accept regional stereotypes or prejudice based on regions ? (thieving scouser, drunken Scots, Flashy Cockneys, know-it -all Bristol-ians, etc)

Isn't it time we eliminated regional prejudice?

kempo
07-01-2016, 09:36 PM
LOL...at the Bristolian bit!

sawmiller
07-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Why focus on a single issue - catch all is to relate to everyone with a basic respect and dignity - apart from those nasty crooked savvern taxi driving shandy drinking nonces of course..... :(

millmoormagic
07-01-2016, 09:58 PM
"Lol at the Bristolian bit"....grow up fellas for crying out loud.....

the_idiotb_stardson
07-01-2016, 09:58 PM
It's a serious question.

Rileyev2
07-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Northern F@ckin Monkeys.

Does have a bit of a ring to it tbf.

kempo
07-01-2016, 10:11 PM
[quote="millmoormagic"....grow up fellas for crying out loud.....[/quote]

Keep your sense of humour millmoor and chill out a bit......it was quite funny and perfectly harmless......some people are too sensitive on here!

John2
07-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Bristol know it all made me chuckle.

Yes, regional prejudice should be eliminated.

There's a difference between prejudice and affectionate banter though.

Prejudice would be treating someone differently, for example giving a Londoner a job primarily because the other candidate was northern.

Getting to know somebody and knowing they'd appreciate well meaning banter, is not a form of prejudice. I have a Welsh friend who is very self deprecating about Wales, and I some times will joke say "do they have electricity in Wales yet", because I know he will enjoy it.

In that context it is not prejudice. If I then mentally decided Welsh people were inferior, and started treating them differently because of it, then that would be prejudice. Its also wise to avoid more risqué banter unless you have a sufficiently strong relationship to know what is appropriate.

Avoid calling anybody an old fuddy duddy though. That can really hurt the feelings.

sawmiller
07-01-2016, 11:16 PM
old fuddy duddy - plenty of those in the Commons old bean!!

millmoormagic
07-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Who is fuddy and who is duddy though? or are they one and the same.....

gm_gm
08-01-2016, 02:42 PM
and I some times will joke say "do they have electricity in Wales yet", because I know he will enjoy it.

Hes attacking the Welsh now!

...is no-one safe?

gorky
08-01-2016, 06:30 PM
I have a Welsh friend who is very self deprecating about Wales, and I some times will joke say "do they have electricity in Wales yet", because I know he will enjoy it.

John, I bet nobody enjoys you saying that. It's not funny.

;)

ParkgateMiller
09-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I have a Welsh friend who is very self deprecating about Wales, and I some times will joke say "do they have electricity in Wales yet", because I know he will enjoy it.

In that context it is not prejudice. If I then mentally decided Welsh people were inferior, and started treating them differently because of it, then that would be prejudice. Its also wise to avoid more risqué banter unless you have a sufficiently strong relationship to know what is appropriate.

So you don't refer to his wife and her two sisters as "Ewe, Ewe and Ewe". XD X-D