PDA

View Full Version : O/t Learning French

kempo
08-01-2016, 12:02 PM
I have decided to learn French for no other reasons other than I like learning and it seemed a good idea.

I know un peu as I did Olevel French.

Anyway I have bought some CDs which teach the Michel Thomas method which is supposed to be quite well known although I have never heard of it.

Other than John2 who will have discussed it with a friend in The Coronation Tap does anyone know about this method or better still has anyone used it?

For those that don't know O'Levels were the exams prior to sixth form which were much harder than the joke exams they have now( cue John2 OPINION)

millmoormagic
08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Might be able to understand your posts a little better to be honest.....

kempo
08-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Might be able to understand your posts a little better to be honest.....

Of course that could be a failing in yourself.

I will try and keep them simple and less informed in future to help your interpreting skills.

jolly_roger
08-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Yes Kempo I used the German course by the same man.

It worked for me but like most things it's a skill that gets better with exposure to the language. I left Germany a few years ago so I'm more than rusty. I occasionally buy a German newspaper to see how bad I've got but some of their papers have gone like ours and use a language unrecognisable from true German.

Thinking about it I think I've still got the Michel Thomas CDs somewhere so I might have another listen.

As for cue John2s opinion you will have a long wait. He doesn't have opinions he just regurgitates somebody else's.

kempo
08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for a sensible and helpful answer Jolly.

I suspect that John's girlfriend speaks fluent French so he will be well informed on the subject.

jolly_roger
08-01-2016, 12:55 PM
The lad has more mates than a condom warehouse.

Deepmidwinter
08-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I've used the Michel Thomas French courses from time to time over the past few years Kempo and use them quite intensively for a few weeks before holidaying in France. I have found them to be very useful indeed and a great advance on traditional language teaching methods. Incidentally, Michel Thomas (real Moniek Kroskof) was a multi talented individual who led a fascinating life. It is said that he created his unique methods while being tortured by the Nazis in WW2

jolly_roger
08-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Ve haff vays of making you talk.

John2
08-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the (borderline obsessive) dropping.

About a year ago I spent some time attempting to learn French.

I used a free App called Duolingo and found it fantastic and by far the best method I have encountered.

I have a friend learning Spanish through car CDs. He benefits from having a long commute, and he seems to think its very effective. We did genuinely discus this in his Clifton flat by the Victoria pub/Lido where I lived with him for a few months last year, but no language based conversation has taken place in the Corrie Tap.

Duolingo kept me engaged much longer than previous efforts to learn the language. Sadly, life got in the way and I stopped using the app, though I do plan to return to it. Just like learning the guitar, and the myriad of other things I'd like to do but life gets in the way of.

I post to strongly recommend giving Duolingo a go.

Deepmidwinter
08-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Sounds like a sexual act, so will give it a bash as the Bishop said

jolly_roger
08-01-2016, 01:53 PM
"I have a friend learning Spanish through car CDs"

Language CDs might work better, though I understand Kwik Fit employ quite a few spaniards.

stevemiller
08-01-2016, 01:54 PM
I have a friend learning Spanish through car CDs. He benefits from having a long commute, and he seems to think its very effective.

Do you agree with this lack of concentration on the road.

Deepmidwinter
08-01-2016, 01:56 PM
[quote="jolly_roger"

Language CDs might work better, though I understand Kwik Fit employ quite a few spaniards.[/quote]

You can't get patter from a Kwik Fit Fitter!

stevemiller
08-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Kempo, if learning without text works for you then you'll be fine.
Rosetta Stone is also worth checking out but not if you've already shelled out on Thomas CD's.

LincsMiller
08-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a sexual act, so will give it a bash as the Bishop said

No, thats the John Thomas version ;D

Deepmidwinter
08-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Aaaah

frogmiller
08-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Good luck with it kempo.

If you can practice with a French accent regardless of how you think you will sound to others will be better than with a Yorkshire accent.

kempo
08-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas ....very useful...I knew I would get Good advice on here.

I find it remarkable on here that someone will always be helpful although of course you have to dodge the bullets but that's fair enough it's part of the game on here.

Done the first disc and it's quite good but it helps to already know some French.

Special thanks to John2 for taking a bit of banter in good part..maybe he is not too bad after all.....I will ask my new friend jolly!

I know The Victoria pub well John as I used to live in Clifton when I did my house jobs at the BRI..I sort of knew you would have discussed this topic with a friend or your girlfriend.