PDA

View Full Version : hardest league in europe

Derbymiller
10-01-2016, 11:10 AM
We need to remember that we are still playing in the hardest league in europe, not the best but the hardest. Exclude the premier league and then take the top 5 teams out of any of europe's leagues and the rest would be no more than mid-table championship sides. The depth ability in the league, the number of games the style of football the amount of money makes this a very very hard league so yes 21st would be a great achievement for rotherham.

the_idiotb_stardson
10-01-2016, 11:24 AM
It's a terrible standard and massively over hyped.

Rileyev2
10-01-2016, 11:44 AM
When teams at this level are paying transfer fees of over 10 million and wages in the 40k a week bracket, it just intensifies how hard it is for a club our size to compete.

My guess is only MK Dons operate on anything like our budget. The rest will have double/treble/fourfold and more.

Pocket rocket
10-01-2016, 11:47 AM
To me its an achievement that were in this league

andy_miller72
10-01-2016, 12:11 PM
The standard is relative. I don't understand people who say it's terrible. Look at Bristol city, ran away with league 1, had a budget of 10m in that league so I presume will have bigger this year and are struggling. Look at our standout players in league 1, they all struggled to look anything above average at this level. As Riley says transfer fees and wages paid by clubs at this level make it almost impossible for clubs of our size to compete. People say you can do it on a small budget but I've yet to see any evidence of that. Mk Dons may be similar to us but they get higher gates than us

Derbymiller
10-01-2016, 12:50 PM
compared to what and on what basis do you say that TIS?

gorky
10-01-2016, 01:06 PM
I'm with IBS on this. The standard is pretty crap. We are struggling but I can't remember anyone playing us off the park at home this season.

I don't buy the wages argument either. A lot of the top earners in this division are top earners because clubs throw silly money around, because the silly money is there to be thrown around, not because the players are so much better. These players just have an overinflated value due to Sky and BT and parachute payments. I think someone called this the 'fetishism of commodities'.

Fensmiller
10-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Fair point gorky and interesting view

DonPageFanClub
10-01-2016, 01:56 PM
dont talk rubbish IBS

Rileyev2
10-01-2016, 02:40 PM
I agree with a lot of what Gorky says. He's right the prices are inflated and caused in part by the Premier league and Sky.

However you can't get away from the fact the clubs with the smallest budgets tend to struggle and in most cases get relegated.

Look at our best 11 and ask yourselves a question.

How many of them them would get in the best 11 of any of the other sides in the Championship. Newell, Rawson maybe, after that I'm struggling.

andy_miller72
10-01-2016, 02:41 PM
I agree players values are inflated but the fact remains to buy quality players who can play at this level costs silly money. How many of our players do you think would get in a top half championship team ? I reckon newell potentially could but that's about it.

Deepmidwinter
10-01-2016, 02:49 PM
You're forgetting about the NIFL

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
10-01-2016, 07:55 PM
It's a tough league but it's not great at all. It's not easy but it can be done with a small budget.

millavanilla
10-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Its always going to be a struggle but to stay up all you have to do is win the mini league at the bottom of the division..tough, yes, but we did it last year and its possible again..not probable but definately possible..lets go for it..

andy_miller72
10-01-2016, 10:44 PM
I've heard a few say it can be done with a small budget but can't think of anyone who has done so. It also depends what you call small, ours was under 5m last season, there's teams in this league with budgets over 12 times that.