burnleybabe
14-01-2016, 06:39 PM
by Bristol City.Breaking news

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 06:45 PM
"Thanks for getting us promoted, now go **** yourself"

TuftyBeamish
14-01-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm not surprised, after this outburst at the final whistle on Tuesday. - view external link (http://www.thefootballramble.com/latest/entry/steve-cotterill-post-match-presser)

rayjolly
14-01-2016, 07:16 PM
He was good for us at the time. Watching the game against Bristol at the Turf, made me realise how far forward we have gone since he left.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 07:20 PM
"I'm not surprised, after this outburst at the final whistle on Tuesday."

Fans since forever: Show some ****ing passion.
Cotterill: Challenge accepted.
Bristol City: Fired!

CleggHall
14-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Never out of work too long, he'll find summat soon.

ClaretTony2014
14-01-2016, 07:28 PM
I was told there were hints of this when we beat them recently so not surprised.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 07:29 PM
He was good for us at the time. Watching the game against Bristol at the Turf, made me realise how far forward we have gone since he left.

He wasn't good for us at the time, he was amazing for us. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been in the Championship for us to win promotion in 2009. We'd surely have been relegated to league one or worse. People don't seem to appreciate that while Coyle deserves the credit for actually getting us promoted, it was Cotterill that made it possible in the first place, against all the odds.

He should be revered as a legend, but barely keeping clubs afloat with no money and having to sell your best every season isn't sexy.

nil_desperandum
14-01-2016, 07:29 PM
"Never out of work too long, he'll find summat soon"
Was out of management for 2 and a half years after we relieved him of his duties.
It was rather sad to see the way he appeared to disintegrate during that 18 game win-less run, and then again leading up to his departure.

Wembley09
14-01-2016, 07:30 PM
"He was good for us at the time. Watching the game against Bristol at the Turf, made me realise how far forward we have gone since he left."

To be fair like he said afterwards, there was a massive gulf between the 2 clubs that day. Alot of our players played in the Premier League last season, alot of his League One. He said somedays that gulf is too hard for his players to close.

He didn't do too shabby last season, romping League One with 99 points, scoring 96 goals and only letting in 38.. and he did lose some players such as Jay Emanual-Thomas, Wade Elliott retiring.. and apart from all the loans I believe they have only made 2 permanent signings since getting to the Championship?

Look at this week against another team from League One last season, who finished 2nd scoring an amazing 101 goals. We smashed them 5-0 away from home.

pureclaret
14-01-2016, 07:32 PM
can any one confirm this as not on any of main sports sites

The Bedlington Terrier
14-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm not all that keen on schadenfreude. Good luck Cotts!

spijed
14-01-2016, 07:34 PM
And look at Preston, finished in the play-offs, miles behind, are doing far better!

spadesclaret
14-01-2016, 07:46 PM
pureclaret, see link - view external link (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/14/bristol-city-sack-manager-steve-cotterill)

Wembley09
14-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Miles behind? Weren't Preston only pipped to 2nd spot on the final day of the season, after having it in their own hands for ages..

Preston destroyed Chesterfield and Swindon in the Playoffs (after Swindon scored for fun against Sheff Utd in the Semi's)

Bobcloth2
14-01-2016, 07:54 PM
His behaviour seems to have got more bizarre by the week recently so it's no real surprise.

Boliclaret
14-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Outstayed his welcome and I was delighted when he departed along with his brand of football and oddball interview style.

That said, we were finacially on our arse when he joined what looked like a relegation favourite and a sinking ship. His freebie signings of Elliot, Hyde, Coyne, McGreal and the loan of Cahil were absolutely superb along with modest transfer fees for Akinbayi, Harley and James O'Connor.

He stabilised us against the odds and built a platform for what was to come.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Wasn't Duff a Cotterill signing?

ashtonlongsider
14-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Sad to hear but hardly surprising given Bristol City's predicament. I for one will always be in-debt for what Cotts did to stabilise us after the digital fallout. He certainly has an eye for a good player. Wont be long before he's back.

Wembley09
14-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Yep Turtle, so was Alexander.

Infact most of our key players during the promotion season under Judas were signed by Cotterill. Carlise, Caldwell, Blake, Elliott. McCann came up through the ranks while Stevie was here too.

Boliclaret
14-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Wow can't believe I forgot Duff.

Certainly did have an eye for a good player on the cheap.

ClaretTony2014
14-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Bristol City have confirmed it now. They've found it difficult at the higher level and looked poor recently on the Turf. But they played well agains us at Ashton Gate up to us getting those two set piece goals.

Quicknick
14-01-2016, 08:14 PM
people haven't mentioned Frank Sinclair. He was a great Cotts signing.

I_Wood_Lovett
14-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Wade Elliot appointed as joint caretaker manager with John Pemberton.

Wembley09
14-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Yeah just popped up on Sky Sports 1 during the Millwall v Oxford Johnstones Paint Trophy game.

Commentators were surprised, never realised Bristol City won the Johnstones Paint Trophy aswell under Steve Cotterill last season. They mentioned it on Sky Sports, also a 8-2 win over Walsall and 6-0 win away at Bradford towards the end of last season.. and it's harsh that halfway into the first season back up they have sacked him.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Certainly did have an eye for a good player on the cheap.

Heh. yeah.

I've just gone through his seasons on Wikipedia, and according to that he spent a total of 3.905m buying and players transferred out brought the club 7.475m. - view external link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_Burnley_F.C._season)

ashtonlongsider
14-01-2016, 08:20 PM
....and John McGreal.

Bobcloth2
14-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Exactly what was required after Stan left but probably overstayed his welcome by a year or so.
Worked out for the best in the end with the job Coyle did though.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to say that he over stayed his welcome by a year because until the beginning of that 18-game winless run we were doing brilliantly in the league. And he was sacked less than a year after it began. I think it would have been really unfair to have fired him while we were 4th in the league.

https://i.gyazo.com/562b26afc6f7238171ca7d35f4650da7.png

I was really proud that Burnley stuck with Cotterill after all he'd done to keep us afloat, and gave his another chance the following season, while other clubs would have sacked their managers after perhaps 10 games without a win, or even less.

Bobcloth2
14-01-2016, 08:47 PM
A year or so.
I went on most of those winless games, I can assure you I wasn't proud we'd stuck with him at the time.

He'll do a good job for a another club soon enough lower down the leagues I expect.

buxtonclaret
14-01-2016, 08:50 PM
His brand of football may not have kept you on the edge of your seat, but Cotts did a dam good job for us, with what he had at the time.
As others say above, we were well & truely in the smelly stuff.
Wish him nothing but good luck in football.

TuftyBeamish
14-01-2016, 09:25 PM
I remember him bringing Pompey to the Turf a few years back and his team spending most of the match playing the worst kind of anti-football possible to grind out a draw in a late season dead-rubber, and then him appearing to be happy with it in the post match interview.

Football, as a spectacle for the paying punter, is better off without him.

IanMcL
14-01-2016, 09:45 PM
It was a very boring period of football, where we parked the bus and hoped for a breakaway....and lost one nil.

However, in his first season, he inherited...a blank team sheet! The signing of John McGreal helped solve that. It was his players who got promotion. However, with his style, we would never have got there. He speaks highly of us and we do owe him. May he pick up another job soon.

dougcollins
14-01-2016, 09:50 PM
'Football, as a spectacle for the paying punter, is better off without him'

That'll be why we called him 'The Crucifier'.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 09:52 PM
He can't be that boring as a manager, Bristol ended on +58 goal difference last season and in his 18 games at Notts County they scored 40 goals in 18 games. Maybe the style of play his sides play has more to do with the situation at the club rather than him having a boring style of play.

TuftyBeamish
14-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Or maybe it's easier to score goals in the third tier than it is in the second?

All I know was, that at the second tier, his teams struggle to be anything above workaday.

Maybe he's found his level for success?

enola_gay
14-01-2016, 10:29 PM
His brand of football may not have kept you on the edge of your seat, but Cotts did a dam good job for us, with what he had at the time.

Or even awake.

He gets a free pass for his first season where he barely had a team to work with but after that the more resources he had, the worse he did. I was closer to packing in going to games under him than I was under any manager before or since.

Imploding Turtle
14-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Maybe he's found his level for success?

Well, the most success he ever had was with Burnley, where he had nothing to work with and had to sell to buy.

I'd be interested to see what he'd do with a team with money to spend in the Championship because the only season where he spend more than he sold with us he had us up to 4th before that epic win-less streak which was surely influenced in no small part by us losing our only real goalscorer for 3 or 4 months to injury.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
15-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Bristol City have billionaire owner and bid for several players including Gray, so evidently he did have money to spend at championship level.

Halffullclaret
15-01-2016, 07:28 AM
A sad day.Bristol needed to score goals and unfortunately did not address this problem. Steve will get another job as he has some lower league promotions on his cv Always be remembered for signing Mike "Legend" Duff for pennies.

domkj
15-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Still have nightmares over a Hull game at the Turf under Cotterill, one of the worst 90 minutes of football i can ever remember watching, it was brutal. Think it was towards the end of his tenure. He's owed a thanks from us for essentially keeping us competitive when we had no money and next to no players. Not the most exciting of seasons but he steadied the ship.

cricketfieldclarets
15-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Cotterill worked wonders for us and deserves nothing but credit.

We didn't push on quickly enough although we did have brief flirtations with the top six. He brought in many good players and most importantly secured our place in this league - which we now take for granted.
Good manager, seemed a genuinely decent bloke. Shame he seemed to be a good fit for bristol city. Hope he gets sorted out soon! Done a good job throughout his career - better than most of the dross in this league.

distortiondave
15-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Cotterpin is like the bloke who saves your life then shags your wife - he deserves your gratitude but really you hope he gets his head stuck in a fence and mounted by an angry kangaroo. Repeatedly.

ClaretTony2014
15-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I was disappointed to hear the news last night because Steve Cotterill is a friend of mine and you don't want to hear news of your friends losing their jobs. Yes, they are struggling in a higher division half a season in, but so were we twelve months ago and only a fool or SAM_WELL would have wanted Sean Dyche sacked.

It's the easy option for clubs these days. Incredibly 44 of the current 92 Premier & Football League clubs have changed manager at least once since the end of last season with probably most of them having little improvement because of it.

He's struggled to get players in there - Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray and now Zach Clough all come readily to mind. I think it has, as much as anything, to do with the geography, it is so much easier getting players into clubs within striking distance of London and Manchester for instance.

He made some disappointing signings for us and Alan Mahon springs readily to mind given his talent, but I can't think of any manager who ever rea

lotty1
15-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Not too popular with some on here but deserves immense credit for what he did for our club . Did we have just 8 players when he came and little money ? Something like that and he certainly had an eye for a player and made us a decent hard to beat team other than the 18 match run .

moltisanti
15-01-2016, 09:28 AM
It was 19 games without a win , maybe he will get a job with Stoke , they love him there .

TuftyBeamish
15-01-2016, 09:38 AM
I remember game 19 of that non-winning run. It was at home to Luton. That season, we were playing in an all claret kit with blue flashes, and claret shorts. We came out that day wearing the previous season's white shorts. I was mystified as there was no direct clash with the kit that Luton were wearing.
After an utterly stupefying match, where both teams contrived to offer nothing at all in terms of entertainment and I do believe that there wasn't a shot in anger fired, Cotts explained in his post match interview that he'd decided to change the shorts to see if it would effect the outcome. Yes, you heard it right, that was just how desperately short of ideas he had become as a Manager; the colour of the shorts.

We changed back to claret the next match against Plymouth at home and ran out 4:0 winners. Must have been the shorts.

braindead
15-01-2016, 09:38 AM
He did brilliantly in his first season, and the list of players posted above is testament to his eye for a bargain in the transfer market (You can also add the loan of Gary Cahill to the list).

However the 19 game winless run and then the 10 game run the following season culminating in the Hull debacle was some of the most mind-numbing turgid, clueless football since the dark days of the mid 80's in my opinion. It was right for us to part company when we did as he had become a bit of a parody of himself and his attitude was called into question during interviews where his arrogance and inability to take criticism was isolating him from the fans.

A lot of his signings formed the bedrock from which Horse-face formed a promotion winning squad, so he deserves some praise - not much though.

claretspice
15-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Irony of Cotterill was that the more money he had to spend, the less convincing he became. His work in his first couple of years, when he had to marshall whatever players he had into a system and set-up which got results, was outstanding. It required him to be flexible - using Robbie Blake as a "false 9" initially with Ian Moore wide of him, then re-adjusting once Akinbiyi mk-1 replaced him, for example. Trouble was, with money and options came a rigidity and a reliance on a straightjacketed 4-4-2 set up which was predictable and at times frankly boring.

Cirrus_Minor
15-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Stoke City fans were fond of him........not!

"quitterill"

I am sure he will be well compensated and also find another club. So never get too emotional when clubs get anxious and sack managers.

enola_gay
15-01-2016, 05:04 PM
After an utterly stupefying (Luton) match, where both teams contrived to offer nothing at all in terms of entertainment and I do believe that there wasn't a shot in anger fired...

To be fair though we were treated to a virtuoso performance by the plastic carrier bag that danced impishly through the midfield, barely even deigning to acknowledge the presence of the lumpen lesser players around it.

It came, it briefly ensnared and enriched our lives, it vanished. Maybe it was Count Darkbeard ?

Certainly knocked that chancer from American Beauty into a cocked hat and no mistake.