PDA

View Full Version : 1 year ago today

mgill87
17-01-2016, 09:37 AM
A year ago today we played Crystal Palace at home. We got off to a great start and were up 2-0 after 16 minutes through Mee and Ings. Crystal Palace ended up winning 2-3. That was a frustrating afternoon. We may be a league lower now but what a different week we've had a year later :) I do like the championship.

Imploding Turtle
17-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Didn't we surrender 2-0 leads in 3 consecutive games last January? or 3 out of 4. One was a cup game.

mgill87
17-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Not sure about that but I remember we did fight back to get a draw away at Newcastle. That game finished 3-3.

burnmark
17-01-2016, 10:28 AM
We surrendered a two goal lead in the cup replay at Spurs and then again against WBA at home to draw.

Pieandapint
17-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Dyche was out managed in in that game.

Pieandapint
17-01-2016, 10:45 AM

belgianclaret
17-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Remember thinking those two home games would cost us dearly...

mgill87
17-01-2016, 10:59 AM
"We surrendered a two goal lead in the cup replay at Spurs and then again against WBA at home to draw."

So we did!

"Remember thinking those two home games would cost us dearly..."

It was that Palace game in particular that had me particularly worried about our chances of survival.

ClaretTony2014
17-01-2016, 11:08 AM
The West Brom game turned on the Marney injury and then them getting two goals that should have been disallowed.

Boliclaret
17-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Palace and then Sunderland away in the following match were the two games were we looked like a championship side.

I remember thinking, that for all the complaints we were really unlucky against WBA.

DarkCloud
17-01-2016, 04:06 PM
WBA scoring right on the stroke of half time was really unfortunate and put them back in a game they were well out of until then. AND we should have had a nailed on penalty right at the end which was highlighted on MotD. However, I look back and feel the Swansea home game which came shortly after was THE one, even more than the home games against WBA, Palace or Leicester. Swansea were bobbins that day and did nowt and although we weren't that great no way should we have lost and we had another blatant penalty waved away late on. After that one I knew we were stuffed.

longside4evr
17-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Talking about being ducks out of water I thought when Everton came to the Turf on the back of a long haul European Cup game in midweek and give us a footballing lesson they made it look so easy and it was for them
The other was Wet Spam not as easy for them but for us being naive might have got something out of that one but it would have been an injustice if we had the pace they broke and the crosses they put in our box was mesmerizing Sako played a blinder
That was the difference in that league you had to have that something extra we had the energy but lacked that cutting edge

DarkCloud
17-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Longside4ever: Yep, but in those games we were well beaten in my opinion and we were struggling at that stage to find our feet. Over Christmas we seemed to find those feet and then played much better and were well in games (ok not necessarily Sunderland away), but fortune and referees and circumstances, including Marney's injury, seemed to turn against us and that hurts more.

Rileybobs
17-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Being reminded of that Sunderland game has just made me gip. They were atrocious and there for the taking and we turned in possibly the poorest performance we've seen under Dyche. It's made even more galling that as things turned out we'd have stayed up had we won the game.

Imploding Turtle
17-01-2016, 06:14 PM
It's made even more galling that as things turned out we'd have stayed up had we won the game.

Well, now i'm in a bad mood.

boatshed bill
17-01-2016, 08:08 PM
You can point to any of about 6 games which, had we taken the opportunity on offer, would have given us a good chance of surviving.
Penalty misses vs Palace and Leicester?

silkyskills1
17-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Crystal Palace certainly 'did for us' last season. The last couple of minutes of both games robbed us of 3 points that might have helped us survive. All 'if's and buts' of course but galling nonetheless.
As for Sunderland away, they certainly were there for the taking but we served up a level of performance that reminded me of so many I've witnessed down the years. :/

dougcollins
17-01-2016, 09:11 PM
'The West Brom game turned on the Marney injury and then them getting two goals that should have been disallowed'

Two Pulis goals. You're allowed to do that with a prem ref if you're Pulis.

Rileybobs
17-01-2016, 09:20 PM
'You can point to any of about 6 games which, had we taken the opportunity on offer, would have given us a good chance of surviving.'

Indeed, but my point was that retrospectively, had we beaten Sunderland that day we would have stayed up at their expense.

Bin_Ont_Turf
17-01-2016, 10:01 PM
You can point to lots of games that season for ifs, buts and maybes.

If Dave Jones' free kick against Man Utd at home was three inches lower then we may have got three points.

If Shackell thinking that he was midfielder hadn't have run out of defence at Swansea we may have gained a point.

Still them four points wouldn't have kept us up. We need more ifs, buts and maybes.

The Bedlington Terrier
18-01-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm not being rude but do you have a stutter pieandapint? As in, "Dyche was out managed in in that game."