PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ray Pointer

alfinyalcabo
26-01-2016, 09:25 AM
RIP Ray Pointer... A true Burnley legend..Condolences to all his family and friends

I was lucky enough to be in my youth when Ray played for the Clarets and saw just how good a player he was ,a great goal scoring poacher who gave his whole for the Clarets ... A scorer of some great goals .He will be sadly missed ..

poultonclaret
26-01-2016, 09:31 AM
RIP Ray.

You brought us many a happy moment. You left us with great memories.

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

pikehillclaret
26-01-2016, 09:35 AM
RIP Ray ~ true claret

rasseter
26-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Wonderful player. One of my boyhood heroes. Can see him now with his head down, ball at his feet running at a retreating Bill Slater or Maurice Norman.
Despite the sad news this morning, one of the immortals for me.

Quicknick
26-01-2016, 10:08 AM
How sad. I first saw Burnley at TM in a 4-0 romp against Fulham in 1962-63. Ray scored.

g69
26-01-2016, 10:17 AM
One of my lasting heroes from my childhood where his poster adorned my bedroom which I then shared with my two brothers. Our great front man of our infamous sixties team GOD BLESS

Claretpundit
26-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Very sad loss. Will always have that memory of the golden vision.

A very classy footballer. He was my childhood hero. Remember watching him play for Portsmouth some years after he had left Burnley at Turf Moor as a midfield player. He was still the best player on the pitch.

taffyllan
26-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Great player. One of my childhood heroes. Saw him play for Burnley then for Bury after we moved there and my greatest memory of him was when he scored five (I think - memory) in one game. Bury immediately transferred him and many fans never went back.

Last saw him play for the vintage Burnley team when we played Wolves at Wembley prior to the Sherpa Van Trophy. He looked almost fit enough to play in the actual final!

Sadly missed. Condolences to his family.

longside4evr
26-01-2016, 10:45 AM
RIP to one of Burnley's great's

claretproud
26-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Truly saddened after hearing this news.My hero from early childhood as a "Roy of the Rovers lookalike" !
A wonderful player in a great championship team.
Many condolences to his family.R.I.P. great man.

Der4
26-01-2016, 12:23 PM
goodbye blonde bomber.seems like only yesterday.he ran spurs defence ragged.they were trying to pass to each other.in penalty area.he just harried them.ftom pillar to post.until one of them gave away a corner.which we scored off.we won the game 3-1 rip ray.thanks for the memorys

Maple leaf
26-01-2016, 02:45 PM
A true claret and blue legend, RIP Ray , Condolences to his family.

Supersub6
26-01-2016, 03:45 PM
RIP Ray and thanks for some wonderful memories. Condolences to his family.

alfinyalcabo
26-01-2016, 03:46 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/hrms8k.jpg

claretblue
26-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Ray is my all time favourite player.

Burnley + England star!

270 appearances for The Clarets scoring 132 goals (only George Beal scored more foe Burnley)
3 England caps scoring 2 goals

How he didn't win more caps only Walter Winterbottom will know!

I've been him when playing footy on the wreck (but not scored as many goals) and have always looked out for him when viewing TV footage and photographs or articles of Burnley FC.

Great player...sadly missed.

Thank you and RIP Ray Pointer!

evensteadiereddie
26-01-2016, 07:04 PM
An excellent example of a footballer when footballers WERE footballers as my old dad used to say...

suttonclaret
26-01-2016, 07:16 PM
rip ray pointer

Turfmoorspirit
26-01-2016, 07:37 PM
As stated above. A true legend rip..

1959_60
26-01-2016, 09:48 PM
He was our centre forward when I started watching the Clarets.

A whole hearted player, lightening quick, ferocious shot and bags of skill.

Thanks for the memories Ray.

blueheeler1
27-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Like the other posters Ray was one of my great Burnley heros when I first started following Burnley as a youth.

I posted on this site when another Burnley legend left us how in some ways it diminished us all--this is no different.

I'm pretty certain that one of Ray's goals for England was the opening for Match of the Day for some while.

He was a super hero and super heros are not supposed to die like us mere mortals.

RIP Ray and thanks so much for the memories.

sheppertonclaret
27-01-2016, 08:19 AM
A member of Burnleys greatest team and probably the best centre forward we ever had ? A class act, I remember as a schoolkid one day after school watching a TV in a shop window when Ray played for an England B team in the days of black & white television [with no definition] Ray Pointer stood out with his blond hair.

I think he scored six goals [or maybe the team did?] Some weeks later I was travelling by bus from Todmorden to Burnley for a home game.. and to my surprise, probably somewhere round Cliviger Ray got on the bus, football boots in hand. Everyone going to the game got off at the last stop before the lights and walked to the Turf including Ray who just strolled along in conversation with the adult fans [ how most of today's footballers could learn from that by acknowledging " when you get there remember where you came from" ] I was totally in awe here was an England centre forward a player for Burnley football club [champions elect of England] on the same bus as me ?

The Bedlington Terrier
27-01-2016, 11:17 AM
He was magical, mercurial and magnificent. I had the great privilege to meet him twice and he remembered me from our first encounter. He also provided the very first autograph I ever collected and I genuinely had hundreds! Ray was a thoroughly decent human being and a wonderful footballer. R.I.P. Ray. You will be missed.

BrentwoodClaret
28-01-2016, 10:18 AM
A true legend. I also remember the Sherpa Van Final veterans game when Ray sprinted as of old to the bye line and crossed for a bloke from Channel 4 to score. My friend and I said it was worth the entrance fee alone and all we can rememmber from the final
A few years ago he was the match day guest at the Turf and we had the priviliege to meet him. My friens said "thank you for all the enjoyment you gave us as lads" Ray replied" No. thank you for allowing me to play" !
I took a picture of Ray with my friend( his hero) and just as I took it a ray of sunshine came through the window over his head!!
Many happy memories. Condolences to his family and friends.

NoNayNever
28-01-2016, 07:25 PM
RIP Ray.

BereavementDividend
28-01-2016, 07:28 PM
RIP !