PDA

View Full Version : The one regret about leaving Millmoor

tony260674
10-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Was that we never got to say goodbye. Some of us suspected that the Barnet game might be the last at Millmoor but we didn't know.
Watching the wall to wall coverage of West Ham leaving the Boleyn just brings it home. Yes we have moved on to much better things but it would have been nice to say farewell to the old girl which meant so much to us.

jolly_roger
10-05-2016, 09:46 PM
It's still there if you want to get a reality check XD

Know what you mean though

gorky
10-05-2016, 09:56 PM
The coverage on sky is absolutely ridiculous. I don't remember anything like it for any other club.

Ericsladkilnhurst
10-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Regrets about Millmoor, after being able to travel by train from Kilnhurst top railway station, to Masbrough railway station,( both stations long gone ) then walking down to Sarsparilla shop has a nine year old for a few pints of sarspirilla sitting in the pew style seats, then walking up to Millmoor for the game, happy times in 1960.

jolly_roger
10-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Sarsaparilla ?

The legal high of the1960s

gwru
10-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Those sausage rolls with that pastry, the old Maine stand. The Managers, Players. Chairmen good or bad, none really bad. Anton Johnson dodgy but what a side.

jolly_roger
10-05-2016, 11:06 PM
The bright orange sausage rolls XD

Ericsladkilnhurst
10-05-2016, 11:09 PM
I loved the tomato sausage rolls.

gwru
10-05-2016, 11:11 PM
used to have a min' of 2 a game. Tony Stewart get recipe get them back.

mikemiller
10-05-2016, 11:18 PM
How did they ever manage to get the Pukka pies THAT hot without burning them to charcoal? (seemed to contradict the laws of physics/chemistry/thermodynamics/etc)
Also loved the tea urn behind the dugouts, which served a nice cuppa - great Millmoor traditions

Nardendee
10-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Can't believe Geoff Hurst wasn't even mentioned on the past players tribute. You will remember Sir Geoff was guest of honour when we won the Auto Windscreen Shield at Wembley in 1996.
Can't believe it's nearly 50 years ago since he got a hat trick in the World Cup Final. I was 8 years old and remember it well. Never did find out what happened to my World Cup Willie.

Millmoor......don't miss it at all.

mikemiller
10-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Forgot to say - during the latter period of George Kerr's management regime there were hardly any fans in the ground, so you never had to queue up for refreshments for very long

millavanilla
11-05-2016, 07:01 AM
I went to the game with the lowest ever attendance..cant remember who against, think it was around 1200..can someone elaborate..was it the danny bergara time? If id lived at herringthorpe or wickersley or that far out, im sure i wouldnt have gone..i only had to walk 15 minutes from kimmy..

kempo
11-05-2016, 07:09 AM

kempo
11-05-2016, 07:10 AM
I have reason to believe that tony23223454321234 took the paintings.

Please return them

michaeldc
11-05-2016, 01:34 PM
The coverage on sky is absolutely ridiculous. I don't remember anything like it for any other club.

I agree! I've no idea what is going on with it. Who the hell cares?

michaeldc
11-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Regrets about Millmoor, after being able to travel by train from Kilnhurst top railway station, to Masbrough railway station,( both stations long gone ) then walking down to Sarsparilla shop has a nine year old for a few pints of sarspirilla sitting in the pew style seats, then walking up to Millmoor for the game, happy times in 1960.

'Nine year old' and 'a few pints' of anything don't seem to mix well in my head...

BradfordFozzie
11-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Probably the only post I've agreed with you on....

Ericsladkilnhurst
11-05-2016, 02:51 PM

'Nine year old' and 'a few pints' of anything don't seem to mix well in my head...[/quote]

Sarsparilla is not alcohol, perhaps you are to young to have heard of it, & don't know what it is. :?

Brin
11-05-2016, 02:52 PM
HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!

My 100% reliable source told me last night that the old girl is having a make over and the ground/pitch will be available to hire to use for games etc.....

With this in mind who of you able bodied on here fancy a charity game once it's ready?

We can even play walking football like the Barclays Bank advert for the less fit ( should cover about 90% on here) XD

So come on who's interested? I've played on their before but who would truly like a return to see the old girl and play on the hallowed turf of so many dreams.....

I'm up for it are you?.... I will keep tabs on this one to see what interest it generates...

jolly_roger
11-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Doing a Barclays Bank at Millmoor?

Sums up a lot of the players we had (and still got)

gorky
11-05-2016, 04:34 PM

I agree! I've no idea what is going on with it. Who the hell cares?[/quote]

If they're going to do that for a mediocre Premier League/Championship yo-yo club, you have to wonder what treatment a big club will receive when they move.

ParkgateMiller
11-05-2016, 06:00 PM
used to have a min' of 2 a game. Tony Stewart get recipe get them back.

5 or 6 pints ...... pour missen into ground about 10 to 3 .............. Pork Pie, 2 o'them orange sausage rolls an' a bovril!

Scrummy!

"Who 'et all the pies? Who 'et all the pies? ParkgateMiller, ParkgateMiller, He 'et all the pies? XD X-D

kempo
11-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Probably the only post I've agreed with you on....[/quote]

Thank goodness for that

ParkgateMiller
11-05-2016, 06:10 PM

Which one? Post 14? XD X-D XD X-D XD X-D

LincsMiller
11-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Yep Sas shop, tap room training....:D

scum_triumphant
11-05-2016, 06:35 PM

If they're going to do that for a mediocre Premier League/Championship yo-yo club, you have to wonder what treatment a big club will receive when they move.[/quote]

Like Man City or Arsenal?

gwru
11-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Those tomato sausage rolls with the lovely pastry were smaller than the ones now. Talking 70's, 80's. There were no microwaves then but they were always hot enough, taste was to die for. Can remember that cabin on Millmoor Lane selling them. 2 women were serving them looked liked sisters, always nice & polite.

gorky
11-05-2016, 07:07 PM

If they're going to do that for a mediocre Premier League/Championship yo-yo club, you have to wonder what treatment a big club will receive when they move.[/quote]

Like Man City or Arsenal? [/quote]

I lived near Maine Road when it closed and don't remember Sky coordinating a Beijing Olympic style ceremony then.

Deepmidwinter
11-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Just as an aside, I walked past Millmoor twice this week and there was a fair bit of activity going on around the ground. Anyone know what was going off?

jolly_roger
11-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Still looking for that 50p coin that Ken Booth dropped in 1987

BradfordFozzie
11-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Which one? Post 14? XD X-D XD X-D XD X-D[/quote]

Precisely Parkgate, it was blank! XD XD XD XD

Brin
11-05-2016, 10:44 PM
[quote="Deepmidwinter"]Just as an aside, I walked past Millmoor twice this week and there was a fair bit of activity going on around the ground. Anyone know what was going off?[/quote

See post 20....;D

crashbang
12-05-2016, 06:28 AM
Years ago as some said , the Saspirella shop. Always had some . Why? it was sheeite.
but it came in pint pots.
Later Millmoor caff, and the Chinky next door , Fish and curry sauce awesome.
And before anyone moans, the bloke behind the counter (Chinese by the way)
Used to say" Fish and special Chinky sauce again?"
Top lad.

crashbang
12-05-2016, 06:32 AM
Can you really see them forking out on a safety licence. for fek all in return.
Get a grip man
Just as an aside, I walked past Millmoor twice this week and there was a fair bit of activity going on around the ground. Anyone know what was going off?[/quote

See post 20....;D

Get a grip man

kempo
12-05-2016, 07:19 AM

Precisely Parkgate, it was blank! XD XD XD XD [/quote]

Truly hilarious!..So good it needs explaining.

I can just imagine a group of you guffawing over your pints,dropping bits of pork scratchings over your copy of the Daily Sport that lies on the table in Wetherspoons .

Brin
12-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Get a grip man
Just as an aside, I walked past Millmoor twice this week and there was a fair bit of activity going on around the ground. Anyone know what was going off?[/quote

See post 20....;D

Get a grip man

Watch what happens .....;D

Brin
12-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Years ago as some said , the Saspirella shop. Always had some . Why? it was sheeite.
but it came in pint pots.
Later Millmoor caff, and the Chinky next door , Fish and curry sauce awesome.
And before anyone moans, the bloke behind the counter (Chinese by the way)
Used to say" Fish and special Chinky sauce again?"
Top lad.

Thought you didn't eat fish?

michaeldc
12-05-2016, 09:02 AM

I can just imagine a group of you guffawing over your pints,dropping bits of pork scratchings over your copy of the Daily Sport that lies on the table in Wetherspoons .

To be fair, it didn't need explaining to most and it was funny. Also, as far as I know, BF is a scampi fries and razzle man. get your facts straight doc.

michaeldc
12-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Sarsparilla is not alcohol, perhaps you are to young to have heard of it, & don't know what it is. :?

I am too young! However I did guess that and was realy questioning the idea of 9 year old kids with pint pots! I don't remember ever being given a drink in a pint pot at that age, it would've been massive and I doubt I would've finished one let alone several. I probably would've been running the toilet every 5 minutes during the match as well!

jolly_roger
12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
I thought you used pint pots when they had run out of buckets?

mikemiller
12-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Re safety licence - did the Booths need one for other recent Millmoor events, like the circus? Are there different grades depending on activity and size of expected crowd?

jolly_roger
12-05-2016, 09:39 AM
To be honest it amazed me that Millmoor got one year on year.

I remember Chaz Robinson ( now there was a true Miller) telling me that on the main stand side that if he turned on all of the pie warmers at the same time the fuses ( yes fuses not RCDs) used to blow cutting off electricity to most of the main stand, which back then was the wooden one.

BradfordFozzie
12-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Precisely Parkgate, it was blank! XD XD XD XD [/quote]

I can just imagine a group of you guffawing over your pints,dropping bits of pork scratchings over your copy of the Daily Sport that lies on the table in Wetherspoons .[/quote]

I think that's what's called a bite....

From a relatively small hook as well.

Ericsladkilnhurst
12-05-2016, 06:01 PM

I am too young! However I did guess that and was realy questioning the idea of 9 year old kids with pint pots! I don't remember ever being given a drink in a pint pot at that age, it would've been massive and I doubt I would've finished one let alone several. I probably would've been running the toilet every 5 minutes during the match as well![/quote]

What toilet, some bodies pocket in front of you in the Tivoli end.