PDA

View Full Version : Failed attempt to sign full back Joey O'Brien

fc_miller
12-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Sky Bet Championship side Rotherham United have failed in an attempt to sign former West Ham United defender Joey O達rien, who is currently unattached, according to Freelance journalist Jamie O誰iel.
http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/rotherham-united-fail-in-attempt-to-sign-ex-premier-league-defender/

Don't know how true this is, but thought we weren't signing anymore players.

leedsmiller
12-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Missed out on another 'quality' signing then, free agent, played 160 league games in 12 years. Why, after all that's been said by the chairman and the manager, are we scratching around trying to plug gaping holes in the team with any unemployed player who's willing to join us? Pathetic!

daveemiller
12-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Missed out on another 'quality' signing then, free agent, played 160 league games in 12 years. Why, after all that's been said by the chairman and the manager, are we scratching around trying to plug gaping holes in the team with any unemployed player who's willing to join us? Pathetic!

Worked for Warnock!

mikemiller
12-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Let me guess what happened.... the agent pulled out of the deal at the last minute, the player signed for Barnsley instead, then Stubbsy said that he was never one of our targets anyway

sawmiller
12-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Let me guess what happened.... the agent pulled out of the deal at the last minute, the player signed for Barnsley instead, then Stubbsy said that he was never one of our targets anyway

....and will then do well for them and score against us?

leedsmiller
13-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Worked for Warnock!

Warnock inherited a dire situation and dealt with it, Stubbs has created a dire situation and shows no signs of being able to deal with it!

monty_rhodes
13-09-2016, 06:47 AM
Warnock inherited a dire situation and dealt with it, Stubbs has created a dire situation and shows no signs of being able to deal with it!

What I don't understand about what's happening is that during the close season there seemed to be a consensus emerging at the club that we had a reasonable squad which needed strengthening in a couple of specific areas: striker, CB, FB, perhaps a quality playmaker. Finally, TS seemed to have got the message that quality mattered more than quantity. I won't mention his change of heart regarding the need for a manager with Championship experience. Suddenly, we decided not to pursue our publicised targets and began a process of shipping in players, mainly midfielders for some reason, and then shipping out equally good or better players. One poster stated that the club's aims were (quote) "very, very clear" in aiming for young players we could develop and perhaps sell on at a profit. We then sign a 30 year old defender and a 30 yr old free agent striker. All baffling to me and very much back to square one for the third season in a row.

leedsmiller
13-09-2016, 07:57 AM
A philosophy of developing young players is a sound one that befits our status. It served us very well in the past and needs to again but it can't be achieved overnight by wholesale purges, especially in a league like the Championship. It has to be a gradual, seamless transition, aging, experienced players slowly being replaced by younger capable talent with obvious (Championship) potential. Everything at our club is always over-stated, over-dramatic, from one extreme to the other. It seems nobody has a clear vision of where we are, where we want to be and how we're going to get there. We panic, we lurch from one self-inflicted crisis to another, from one team to another, from one manager to another. We put numerous sticking plasters over gaping holes, we're playing a lottery game instead of planning a way forward... aaarrrhhhh!!!! If I had hair I'd be tearing it out (come to think of it that's probably where it went).