PDA

View Full Version : As I watch the game...

JackEarlRUFC
21-01-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't think we've been embarassed, despite the scoreline. We looked composed under pressure in the first half, but that goal was a body blow just before half time. Then when they scored so quickly in the second half, it meant that the game was a write off.

I don't blame Warne for packing the midfield with 3 defensive types in Adeyemi, Vaulks and Smallwood, especially with Taylor looking dangerous with his direct running on the counter (considering he was thrust into the side due to injury - and a much better performance than when that last happened at Fulham).

However, I still think the players' confidence is the highest it has been, and that is thanks to Warne. The players were willing, in patches, to play a short intricate passing game, and it only seemed to be Wood who wanted to knock it long whenever he got the ball. I don't advocate trying to pass the other team off the park, especially with the gulf in talent between us and the majority of teams in the league, but there were encouraging signs that we looked composed enough to pass the ball against some of the best players in the division.

Scott Allan should start in games we have a chance of winning, on paper. He can see a pass. He has a touch of quality. With the freedom to play, and with Frecks out, playing him slightly in front of a combination of either Vaulks and Smallwood or Adeyemi and Smallwood, I think, could unlock our wide men and striker(s) to threaten against weaker opponents. Yes I know he hasn't always looked bothered, but I don't think he is getting recalled any time soon, so we might as well try and use his abilities to get us out of trouble. It might not work, but then again, nothing is really so why not give it a try?

BigLadonOS
21-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Composed under pressure? We just kept kicking the ball long! Anywhere would have done.