PDA

View Full Version : Great bands who turned s hit

the_idiotb_stardson
24-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Please fill in the gaps in the template below

How could a great band like______ who recorded the wonderful album_________also record complete dross like ______?

the_idiotb_stardson
24-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Here's mine:

How could a great band like REM who recorded the wonderful album 'murmur' also record complete dross like' automatic for the people'?

jolly_roger
24-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Two bands that spring to mind, Chicago and Fleetwood Mac

gwru
24-01-2017, 05:50 PM
U2 one of the few bands who haven't stuck to the same sound. Got into to them around there 2nd album October, people go on about 2nd albums. Quote from could have been Pete Townsend " takes 16 yrs to write yr 1st album & 6 months to write yr 2nd " October must have been best 2nd album ever. After that next few albums no let downs up till Rattle & Hum which was abit self indulgent. Then Actung baby which was a change of direction which worked, then the rushed Zooropa which apart from a few songs didn't. Then back on track with Pop & All that you can't leave behind. Then I thought they'd gone How to dismantle... & No line on the Horizon were mostly forgettable. But last album Songs of innocence was back to basics, worked. Not bad that 4 albums out of how many that didn't work. Tell me a band whose kept going for this long, I can't think of one.

Mean making origional studio albums. Stones nobody could tell you a new song of there's for a long time.

rileyev.the.third
24-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Not a band but "Now that's what I call Music 1" wasn't bad.

"Now that's what I call music 156" is fekin sh1t!!!

animallittle3
24-01-2017, 06:32 PM
The Stone Roses second album was pretty bad and then they started to break up , the re emergence seems nothing more than a bit of nostalgia without any quality material to release .

One of the best albums ever recorded to absolutely nothing worth listening to , hell of a feat .

mellowmiller
24-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Steps 😀

Shark27
24-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Here's mine:

How could a great band like REM who recorded the wonderful album 'murmur' also record complete dross like' automatic for the people'?

Because to many 'automatic for the people' is considered one of their greatest albums and is often included in top 100 albums which further cements their status as a great band.

great_fire
25-01-2017, 12:07 AM
REM did a lot worse albums than Automatic for the People, the 7 that followed were worse (apart from New Adventures, much worse) as was the 1 that preceded it.

MagyarMiller
25-01-2017, 02:27 AM
U2 one of the few bands who haven't stuck to the same sound. Got into to them around there 2nd album October, people go on about 2nd albums. Quote from could have been Pete Townsend " takes 16 yrs to write yr 1st album & 6 months to write yr 2nd " October must have been best 2nd album ever. After that next few albums no let downs up till Rattle & Hum which was abit self indulgent. Then Actung baby which was a change of direction which worked, then the rushed Zooropa which apart from a few songs didn't. Then back on track with Pop & All that you can't leave behind. Then I thought they'd gone How to dismantle... & No line on the Horizon were mostly forgettable. But last album Songs of innocence was back to basics, worked. Not bad that 4 albums out of how many that didn't work. Tell me a band whose kept going for this long, I can't think of one.

Mean making origional studio albums. Stones nobody could tell you a new song of there's for a long time.

Slightly off the original topic but I’ve got one for you gwru

Depeche Mode formed just a little bit later than U2 and their releases have quite closely mirrored U2’s and even included a period at Berlin’s Hansa Studios which seemed to rekindle something in their output.

They’re about to release their 14th studio album around March time and then embark on a stadium tour later this year, including probably their biggest UK stadium show to date at the London stadium.

Widely influential but seem largely ignored in their home country.
Most people will be familiar with some of their early ‘80s stuff particularly ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’ and then maybe some of the ‘90’s releases around the time of ‘Violator’ and maybe ‘Songs of Faith and Devotion’ but the phrase I hear the most often when, any of their more recent releases are mentioned, is ‘are they still going?’

I appreciate they’re probably not to everybody’s taste and can perhaps come across quite dark and depressing.
Particularly, once they’d moved away from their earlier more poppy style with the departure of Vince Clarke, after their debut albums release.
Thrusting the chief song writing duties, onto Martin Gore and his recurring themes of sex, religion/spiritualty and death.

They have maintained really high standards throughout their career, with perhaps a slight dip in the noughties, with a bit more filler on the albums released in that decade.

Personally, I was pleased with what I thought was a real return to form in 2013, with the release of ‘Delta Machine’ although that’s not a view shared by all their fans.

I’m eagerly anticipating ‘Spirit’ in a month or so.

Back to the original topic, one sprang to mind. The much maligned Coldplay.
I thought the first few albums had some exceptionally good songs on them, particularly on ‘A Rush of Blood to the Head’ .
But the last few have been for me just a little bit too pompous and maybe treading water a bit.

gwru
25-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Not many bands reinvent themselves. Is it best to quit while yr ahead.

Depeche Mode not heard any of there music for about 20 yrs. Coldplay not into them.

Ellis_D
30-01-2017, 09:55 PM
The Arctic Monkeys' first album was absolute genius. The rest have got worse and worse ever since.

Monkey46
30-01-2017, 10:41 PM

AC/DC gwru, all great.

Geetarman
30-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Where do I begin. Loved War U2, Sunday Bloody Sunday, a classic in my eyes. Played it with bands for many years, just not in Catholic clubs. Loved Joshua Tree, then it all went pear shaped in my opinion. Houses of the Holy blew me away when I first heard it, as did Zep 2

I sort of have a penchant for 80's stuff these days. Search for Woman in Chains with Oleta Adams on Youtube. Her voice!!!! They discovered her. As for Depeche Mode....one great song Personal Jesus, and the Johnny Cash cover on his last album when he knew that he was dying was sublime. The rest of Depeche Modes stuff was head up your harris pap imo.

Best band that I have ever seen, and I have seen every band that are anybody. Deacon Blue. Neither Ricky or Eileen have great voices, but they are coffee and cream when you put them together. I have never seen a band hold the audience in the palm of their hands as they could, backed by the finest session musicians ever to come out of Scotland. Amazing energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWqzFlOVkI

great_fire
30-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Well they're named after a song by a great band.

gwru
31-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Geetarman lved Deacon Blue Didnity, Real gone kid, When will you make my telephone ring & there cover of I'll never fall in love again.

U2 there early stuff Out of control, Celebration how can you better those songs.

Every great artist will write that one classic song that they'll never better.